For those of you who may not know me, I am the Head of Community Affairs for Asgardia. I have been overseeing the social media and volunteer teams for Asgardia for the last year. Recently, I was given the mandate to help in the process of increasing Asgardia's image to the greater public and bring in fresh ideas and services to the Asgardia community. I wanted to update you on what has been and is still in progress to work towards these goals.
Firstly was to restructure parts of Civic Asgardia and the volunteer teams to help with the new direction. The first emphasis was to offer support administrative wise to the Central Election Committee. "Nikari" Steve Miller was loaned out as Elections Manager and volunteer teams were brought on board to help with the final weeks of the elections to offer logistical support. Seondly was to bring up email and social media response time to help public and community questions. Third was to begin applying best practices to the volunteer intake and training process in order to start better caplitalising on existing and new volunteer skillsets. Finally, several projects were planned on new online presences for Asgardia to bring information and new services to the nation as well as add greater communication and transparency of Asgardia actions.
One of the first projects that we worked on was the new Asgardia Space News website in which Asgardia endeavors to bring news about Space, Technology, Science, Engineering, and related topics of interest. This site will be going through some evolutions in the coming weeks, firstly to launch translations of the articles into the other twelve languages of Asgardia starting with Spanish and then to the others once the process is smoothed out and we have reliable and accurate translators for the other languages. We are looking at new avenues for content for the website and to slowly work away from syndication of news to producing our own original news stories. We hope that the community will visit this site, comment on articles and continue to give us feedback on the type of content that you would like to see on this site.
Another project that is nearing completion is a unified web contact form. This form will be attached the the new websites and will be adapted for use on the existing Asgardia.space website. This contact form is to allow the community and public easier access to support avenues so that we can help them better with any issues they have and answer their questions in a more timely manner.
Also, there was the creation of an opt-in monthly newsletter. This newsletter will allow us to communicate closer with the community and keep them 'in the loop' on Asgardia news and events.
Our biggest project, however, is still currently in progress and we hope to launch in part after the elections are over. It is a new Asgardia community site, a 'home' for Asgardia where Community and Business based services and functions will be offered. We will be launching an online roadmap for this site which will be publically viewable and updated regularly with progress of this site. To give you an example of the services that will be offered on this site are:
- The Asgardia Business Center. A multiphase project that will allow businesses of all sizes to connect with consumers, allow for start up and charity funding initiatives, job boards for businesses to recruit talent, mentorship opportunities, and incubator projects.
- Asgardia Community Activity and News. Listings for Professional Asgardia Associations, professional and interest guilds and clubs.
- National Community Center activities and news from Asgardia centers around the world.
- Online resource library for scientific papers and other open resource literature.
- All ages Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC), a resource to offer education for all Asgardians no matter the age they may be. Eventual plan is to partner with accredited institutions in order to offer high level accredited courses.
- Asgardia Publication House which would offer online and hardcopy versions of written materials created by Asgardians.
- Asgardia merchandise store so that Asgardians can buy official Asgardia branded items to show their Asgardia pride.
- New and improved forums and online collaborative tools to allow Asgardians to communicate and work more closely together.
... and many more services that will help bring our community together and show the world what we have to offer as a nation.
I plan on having discussions with members of Parliament and with the Ministries about this site and how it can work in concert with the future laws and projects yet to come.
I would like to thank everyone who has already stepped up and offered their help and expertise in getting these endeavors off of the ground. We still have a lot of work ahead of us but I know that if we all (Volunteers, community members, MP's, Ministers) work together we can show the world that Asgardia is a leader to the stars and show that what we bring can benefit all of humankind.
Head of Community Affairs