Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 19:03 UTC

Re: Website Update and new Contest announced!  

If you want a clock or a figurine or something then fair play - but using it as an excuse to "make Asgardia money" when it gets incredibly little for whoring it's name and reducing the credability of the entire movement I don't think to be a good precident to be setting.

"Better designs" should be easy enough to crowdsource, those within our number of artistic bent would likely appreciate their work featured thus. Going direct to the manufacturer to have these produced should shave either 75% off the price, or return 75% more to Asgardia.

Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 19:17 UTC

well figurine with the emblem of asgardia would not make any type of evil to our image (at least i think,i can be wrong in this) , well at least a poster we can do hah XD

the images if needed i can do easily in about 1 hour i do they with better quality ,and products theres always the option to go manufacturer but:

they only accept Large Orders (Because of the raw material they spend to make the products, if the order is not large enough it will be more expensive to order direct from the factory than in a store.)

Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 19:47 UTC

It should be possible to conscript a design, then find out how many you'd need produced. Not all accept large orders only, but commonly the larger the order the cheaper the run and less accumalitive shipping costs. For example
[Link Removed]
will produce a single poster for $1.40, plus shipping. Order a few thousand and the per unit cost drops significantly.

Mod edit: I've taken the liberty of removing the link that you provided to a commercial site. Our groups current advertising policy prohibits the posting of such links at this time.
Thank you for your understanding in this.

Last edited by:  Jason Rainbow (Global Admin, Global Mod, Asgardian)  on Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 20:15 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: Additional data

Mar 23, 17 / Ari 26, 01 15:44 UTC

As I'm a (registered and confirmed) asgardian, and as I'm not a FaceBook registered user (which wasn't mandatory at all to be an asgardian) I'm feeling excluded by whatever initiative (and, even more, whatever contest) is going on into Mr. Zuckerberg's platform.

I was thinking Mr. Ashurbeyli was our Head of State, not Mr. Zuckerberg... is him at least an (registered and approved) asgardian?

P.S. to @Jason Rainbow
Isn't it FaceBook a commercial platform (quoted as NASDAQ:FB also)? Isn't Mr. Zuckerberg earning (a lot of) money from it? So, why is linking to FaceBook still permitted into Asgardia's forum?

Last edited by:  Luca Coianiz (Asgardian)  on Mar 23, 17 / Ari 26, 01 15:52 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: typo(s)

Mar 23, 17 / Ari 26, 01 16:31 UTC

Thank you for the clarifications, Jason, I'm still feeling excluded, even if unintentionally, and thought that only allowed (maybe) commercial realities here was AIRC and Room but, if you say FB is "approved (commercial/social) platform by Officials" I have to understand.
A little pity to have part of asgardians "out of the business", Officials' choice, not mine: I think that a better awareness of what is done with our personal data, like the one usually exposed by persons like @EyeR, @Phicksur and @nihylum de should be better taken in count but I can't force Asgardia to do it.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 11:57 UTC

@Jason Rainbow
This is exactly what I was saying: Asgardia have privacy rights on it's data only: it means "you" (I mean "Asgardia's Officials", the actual management) have no control at all on our (personal) data when we roam into other platforms different to Asgardia website and forum: as I registered to Asgardia and not to other platforms it means I'm trusting Asgardia, and no one other.
So, if "you" (Officials, admins, mods) ask "me" (asgardians) to take part in a contest launched onto another platform I can see two cases:

1. my personal data, after I register there (and I have to, or I can't partecipate to an asgardian's initiative), will be handled by the other platform's owner, presumably sold to other organizations too, presumably given to others organizations/other governments too (to be clear: NSA/USA), and not handled with the care I think Asgardia is using.

2. I decide to not register on those external platforms, as I don't like my data is handled by anyone other than Asgardia, so I can't take part of "my nation's" initiative (as this is an official contest, not some kind of "party" one can launch everywhere).

It's up to me to "take part" or "don't take part" but I would exercise this right on Asgardia, not to be (inherently) being forced to "not take part" as these platforms are external to Asgardia.
When my government asks me to "express my opinion" or even to "join a party", it doesn't send me to another country (or another country's structure) to do that.

My opinion on this matter is beyond the individual event and how much (or how little) is important, because it is more a matter of principle.
I had the idea to raise the issue before, and this thread has only offered me the opportunity: all unofficial initiatives can be conducted on the platforms you want, BUT official ones should be carried out on the Asgardian platform in my opinion.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 17:03 UTC

@petrv
Have to say I definitely admire your ability to synthesize. :-) *thumbs up*

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 17:42 UTC

the nation is assuming responsibility for data protection of it´s citizens in nation-iniciated activities...

By "assuming" you'd meant "ignoring", right?

Or would that mean they just assume it's safe, because they found it on the interwebs randomly and thought that would be a good idea to allow them to store more data than they would require to. For no apparent reason. Because that has to be a good data handling policy, it's what they do personally.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 18:55 UTC

lol, I'm aware of what you meant, I was just being facetious to highlight the general data security ethics seem to consist of failing to understand the problem(s) of not bothering to think about where it's going, how it's being stored, or why they would even need to store it.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 19:00 UTC

As far as I can tell, EyeR, the information they are storing on us is hardly too dangerous to any but the most dedicated of identity thieves.

I get more on myself when I googled "phicksur" than I provided to Asgardia.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 19:04 UTC

It's not so much of what they store, but the way they seem to go out of their way to make sure everybody else gets a copy, too, or to try and generate more through various third party services - like the use of FB exclusively in this competition(instead of sensibly encouraging our traffic away from that "service") or the data wrangler in the "questionnaire" that goes for every peice of data your machine can be easily made to leak.

And the fact that they've either not considered this, or are intending for it.

Updated  on Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 19:04 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: tpyo

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 20:04 UTC

It's not just docile media - and no government attempts to actually conduct any affairs via such, when was the last time you'd had a .gov suggest that should you go to their FB page they will be able to assist you? possibly in a few cases some will be using it as a mass transmission medium, like the USA .gov using tw@tter additional to leveraging the RF transmissions and SMS/SMTP system to deliver "alerts", one way comms. No sane government allows it's employees anywhere near it, suggesting explicity they should avoid, and if they absolutely must then be incredibly mindful that it is not a secure environment, being less secure than an open conversation in a public area as more than those present at that time have access.

There's literally no thought placed into what is occuring with data at all. As evidenced by initially and repeatedly performing questionable actions.

Mar 25, 17 / Tau 00, 01 18:39 UTC

So, maybe, Jason, you don't know my government, or even EU's governments at all.
We're struggling in creating an "european internet space" exactly 'cause of the "damages" companies like FB 're doing worldwide. We had lawsuits against FB (have to say we won them: maybe you know Max Schrems), against Google, Microsoft and many other (USA) corporations 'cause of the "a little too free ways" they use of our personal data.
Out lawsuits made USA and EU to renegotiate what USA called "safe harbor" treaty, I don't think it's so little thing (as we're speaking about "data protection" here too).

Now, I trusted Asgardia which, as far as I know, is not related to USA government (and to USA) at all so, please, just tell me why I should give my data, to be allowed in partecipating into an (official) asgardian contest? (or in whatever other initiative)
That's what I call "implicit exclusion" and, please, remember I'm an asgardian (and not a facebookian) so the Asgardia's government should take in count my opinion, instead of saying "but even other governments don't care about FB at all".

If Asgardia's government don't care about that, when it's about a contest I can even think to not partecipate into, I'm allowed it won't care about other initiatives where I would and must partecipate, and this is serious concern, at least to me.

Last edited by:  Luca Coianiz (Asgardian)  on Mar 25, 17 / Tau 00, 01 18:45 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: more details on Data Protection