Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 06:00 UTC

Asgardian calender - effect on space science observation  

Would the new Asgardian calender not have any effect on space science observation (example: constellations, meteor showers, comet periodicity, eclipses)? Although having an entire new month called Asgard would have a uniqueness of its own.

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 11:42 UTC

Why would we make a new calendar?

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 12:44 UTC

Refer to decree no. 2, it's the new Asgardian calender.

Link: https://asgardia.space/en/page/chronicles/Decree002

Last edited by:  Leo Marquie (Asgardian, Global Admin)  on Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 16:22 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: [MOD] Enabled website link

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 11:59 UTC

I just received news of the draft on a new calender.

Although it is a good idea to have one, I see it is not presenting any additional value on the nature of our state:

We are a space nation, therefore we should take into account that known calenders today use the movement of the earth as a reference. If our nation evolves to an actual and practical space-based state, this type of calenders are useless:

A similar 'time' on mars will be completely different than on earth or on other location in the solar system (and beyond) with effects similar to the time difference between earth based states

If a calender is used, it should create a time frame which can be used on any location. (This could be arbitrary) If this is not possible, the most common used earth-based calender should be used or voted upon.

As we promote scientific approaches, it seems to me unwise to change an existing and practical framework unless it creates an additional value.

Do we have more direct channels to post our concerns?

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 13:59 UTC

IMHO if refactoring the calandar then following the example of Julius and Augustus isn't particularly inspiring, with a switch to base ten being a more logical and less egotistical descision.

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 14:08 UTC

Do we have more direct channels to post our concerns?

Not really.

I agree that shifting to a time system that doesn't rely on seasons or religious events would make more sense for a space-borne nation. One that uses metrics and precision to measure time rather than the angle of the sun or the spin of a planet.

Mar 16, 17 / Ari 19, 01 09:03 UTC

UtkarshC99:

Would the new Asgardian calender not have any effect on space science observation (example: constellations, meteor showers, comet periodicity, eclipses)?

No, the lenght of day remains unaltered. This calendar is merely changing how much days a months have, which has no effect in astronomical observations.

Mar 18, 17 / Ari 21, 01 21:20 UTC

@MateXon,

I was referring to the change in Earth based dates for periodic events. Say, the Perseids. On Earth they begin in mid-to- late July. In Asgardia, they'd being in mid-to late Asgard. Imagine how fun would it be for astronomers back home to communicate with Asgardia,

"Earth to Asgardia, we predict the Perseids to appear in July" "July, confirm".

Come Asgardian July, we're all craning our necks over at the viewport, looking for a hint of a shower, while the organizer of the stargazing club frantically communicates with ground support "Asgardia to Earth, you frickin lied to us" "Mate, I said July, it's August right now, our clock's gone kaput or what?"

Although this is just a (poorly framed) example, I imagine this is how communication will be. It would be hard to adjust to the new dates, and even more tedious for Earth citizens to make conversions and communicate. It would be considered proper etiquette for Earthlings to keep an Asgardian calender, and for Asgardians to keep in mind Earth based dates. Public holidays would be a disaster. Christmas would not be 25 December anymore.

Hope this gets my point across.