Jul 31, 17 / Vir 16, 01 18:45 UTC

Designing air regeneration system  

I plan to create an air regeneration system based on photosynthesis. Laboratory. To work out the conditions of photosynthesis.
Photosynthesizing organism Chlorella (I do not yet specifically state the species, I will define this later)
Lighting LED with wavelengths of absorption of chlorophyll (the ratio everywhere is recommended differently so I will select it)
There is a possibility of constant and pulsed lighting.
Sensors. CO2 sensor on the input and output, infrared.
Oxygen sensor. At the inlet and outlet, electrochemical.
Sensor pH. The electrode will be installed in the medium flow in the reactor.
Photometric sensors for determining the density of the medium. In the lower and upper part of the reactor.
Illumination in the first version of the reactor is planned to be done  on one side of the reactor, and on the other, an aluminum plate  (radiator) washed on the other side by water with a stable temperature.
The thermostat must maintain the temperature with an accuracy of 0.1 degrees. (On the Peltier element)
The LED radiator is cooled by air (I want to try using air after the reactor or incoming air for this)
The case is a unified server 2U. This will make it easier to increase the quantity if necessary.
Pipelines  for the supply and removal of air, the pipeline feed the feed mixture  will be mounted in the rack where the housing will be installed. The joints will be equipped with solenoid valves, quick-disconnect connections. In the future, this will simplify the maintenance.
The power supply will also be supplied from the rack. The controller board will be in the casing. Together with the power supply it is supposed to connect the cable for  remote control and diagnostics of the reactor. The protocol has not yet  been understood.
Because Guaranteed  so much carbon dioxide, I myself can not breathe, I will not be able to  use a CO2-based generator based on yeast (the drink can be used later  ...;)). The input of CO2 into the air current will be metered (via a reducer).
Pumping air will be a compressor (aquarium). Feeding the nutrient medium with a peristaltic pump (with a stepper motor.
The removal of biomass is periodic in the branch pipe, and from it to the sump. From it while it is necessary to unload manually. To automatically separate the liquid from the cells, you can use a separator (preferably a disk separator)
I hope for the New Year will be able to make the first prototype .... or part of it) I work alone so slowly.

Rus

Планирую создать системе регенерации воздуха на основе фотосинтеза.  Лабораторную. Для отработки условий фотосинтеза.
фотосинтезирующий организм Хлорелла (конкретнее вид пока не скажу. с этим чуть позже определюсь)
Освещение светодиодное с длинами волн поглощения хлорофилла (соотношение везде рекомендуют разное поэтому это буду подбирать)
Предусмотрена возможность постоянного и импульсного освещения.
Датчики. Датчик СО2 на входе и выходе, инфракрасный.
Датчик кислорода. На входе и выходе, электрохимический.
Датчик pH. Электрод будет установлен в поток среды в реакторе.
Фотометрические датчики для определения плотности среды. В нижней и в верхней части реактора.
Освещение в первой версии реактора планирую сделать с одной стороны реактора, а с другой алюминивая пластина (радиатор) омываемый с другой стороны водой с стабильной температурой.
Термостат должен поддерживать температуру с точностью 0,1 градус. (на элементе Пельтье)
Радиатор светодиодов охлаждается воздухом (хочу попробовать для этого использовать воздух после реактора или входящий воздух)
Корпус унифицированный серверный 2U. Это позволит проще наращивать количество при необходимости.
Трубопроводы подачи и отвода воздуха, трубопровод подачи питательной смеси будутсмонтированы в стойке куда будет устанавливаться корпус. Места соединений будут снабжены электроклапанами, соединения быстроразъемные. В будущем это упростит обслуживание.
Электропитание также будет подаваться от стойки. Плата контроллера будет находится в корпусе. Вместе с электропитанием предполагается подключение кабеля для удаленного управления и диагностике реактора С протоколом еще не разобрался.
Т.к. гарантированно столько углекислого газа я сам надышать не смогу буду использоват генератор СО2 на основе дрожжей (напиток можно использовать позже ...;) ). Ввод СО2 в ток воздуха будет дозированным (через редуктор).
Нагнетать воздух буду компрессором (аквариумным). Подача питательной среды перистальтическим насосом (с шаговым двигателем.
Отвод биомассы периодический в отводную трубу, а из неее в отстойник. Из него пока придется вручную выгружать. Для автоматическоого отделения жидкости от клеток можно использовать сепаратор (лучше тарельчатый)
Надеюсь к Новому Году получится сделать первый прототип.... или его часть) Работаю один поэтму так медленно.

Jul 31, 17 / Vir 16, 01 18:50 UTC

If there is interesting information or a lot of experience in designing such systems, I will be happy to read your comments. Also I will be happy if someone starts to create a similar installation. I will be glad to exchange experience.

Rus

Если есть интересная информация или большой опыт в проектировании подобных систем то я буду рад прочитать Ваши коментарии. Также буду рад если ктонибудь начнет создавать подобную установку. Буду рад обменяться опытом.

Jul 31, 17 / Vir 16, 01 18:53 UTC

As sources, I used literature in Russian (it's easier for me). If necessary I can share links.

RUS

В качестве источников использовал литературу на русском языке (мне так проще). Если необходимо могу поделиться ссылками.

Aug 1, 17 / Vir 17, 01 16:22 UTC

Sketch of the working area of the reactor.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3rNEaheqq2QR05lUC1HRW0xWmc
The first picture shows an aluminum board with LEDs. The distance from the board to the illuminated wall of the reactor will be selected experimentally (approximately 30-40 mm).
On the opposite side of the reactor is an aluminum radiator. It is necessary to maintain the temperature in the working area of the reactor. The coolant is water. Thermostat itself based on the Peltier element.
CO2 (green block).
At the top of the unit is the air outlet after photosynthesis.
The second picture shows the overflow channel. A  portion of the suspension that will be removed from the working zone of  the reactor when adding a new portion of the nutrient mixture and  removing the spent portion of the algae (settled cells). The slurry from the overflow channel is returned to the reactor through a hole at the bottom of the overflow channel.
Inside the reactor, transparent septa are used to circulate the algal suspension. This will ensure better heat transfer. Also due to the partitions alternate areas with strong and weak illumination. Latching on the lower surfaces, air barriers can dissolve CO2 better and more fully in water. In  addition, the partitions, being the center of separation of the phases,  stimulate the formation of air bubbles containing oxygen and the  removal of bubbles to the upper part of the reactor.

Rus

Эскиз рабочей зоны реактора (ссылка в английской части текста).
На первой картинке видна алюминиевая плата с светодиодами. Расстояние от платы до освещаемой стенки реактора будет подбираться опытным путем (примерно 30-40 мм).
С противоположной стороны реактора алюминиевый радиатор. Он необходим для поддержания температуры в рабочей области реактора. Теплоносителем служит вода. Сам термостат на основе элемента Пельтье.
СО2 (зеленый блок).
В верхней части блок отвода воздуха после фотосинтеза.
На второй картинке виден переливной канал. Часть суспензии, которая будет удаляться из рабочей зоны реактора при добавлении новой порции питательной смеси и удалением отработавшей части водорослей (осевших клеток). Суспензия из переливного канала возвращается в реактор через отверстие снизу переливного канала.
Внутри реактора прозрачные перегородки для обеспечения циркуляции суспензии водорослей. Это обеспечит лучший теплообмен. Также благодаря перегородкам чередуются области с сильной и слабой освещеностью. Задерживаясь на нижних поверхностях, перегородок воздуха может лучше и полнее растворятся СО2 в воде. Кроме того, перегородки являясь центром раздела фаз стимулируют образование пузырьков воздуха, содержащего кислород и выведение пузырьков к верхней части реактора.

Aug 4, 17 / Vir 20, 01 15:54 UTC

that's interesting, what is the metabolism of chlorella? could it be coupled with bioremediation of oils? (it should require bigger reactors to avoid viscosity but you can recycle some wastes, not to mention food production (clorella is also an integrator, right?) )

Aug 4, 17 / Vir 20, 01 17:00 UTC

Chlorella is a genus of single-cell green algae belonging to the division Chlorophyta.  Through photosynthesis, it multiplies rapidly, requiring only carbon dioxide, water, sunlight, and a small amount of minerals to reproduce.

Maybe ... In the process of bioremediation, some of the hydrocarbons of the oil are oxidized to carbon dioxide. Here, his chlorella can absorb and, in the process of photosynthesis, release oxygen. Thus, enriching the atmosphere and reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in it. And carbon dioxide, as you know, refers to greenhouse gases.

Biomass chlorella is already being used as a biologically active additive to animal feed and human food. There are ideas of processing the biomass of chlorella for cooking, but I have not heard about the successes in this.

Chlorella is the primary producer.

Primary producers are organisms in an ecosystem that produce biomass from inorganic compounds (autotrophs). In almost all cases these are photosynthetically active organisms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorella

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_producers

Aug 4, 17 / Vir 20, 01 18:17 UTC

naah, no bioremediation then, I hoped oil (of any kind) was a second metabolite :/

Aug 4, 17 / Vir 20, 01 18:26 UTC

For bioremediation use other microorganisms. For  example, strains of Acinetobacter calcoaceticus and Acinetobacter  radioresistens effectively oxidize aromatic and non-cyclic components  ....

Aug 5, 17 / Vir 21, 01 00:00 UTC

Why we use microorganism ? How about plant in space ? It not work ?

Last edited by:  Imam Idris (Asgardian)  on Aug 5, 17 / Vir 21, 01 00:03 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Aug 5, 17 / Vir 21, 01 07:21 UTC

Microorganisms are easier to control. In case of death of the colony, it is easier and quicker to restore work. It is easier to store (dried microorganisms are stored for several years). For reactors, there is no need for much space and a large number of reactors can be controlled via a computer. Chlorella has a more photosynthetic active surface than plants. Due to the features of the reactor structure and lighting features. One person is enough to serve the array of reactors and this is not a very laborious process.
How to grow plants? In the soil? It's overweight (the soil itself). Hydroponics? Huge consumption of water + more expensive than growing in the soil. Aeroponics is more economical, but much more difficult technically than other options.
Plants are also needed. Required. But you can not rely on them alone. This is our food (cereals, fruits, vegetables) and animal feed.
Chlorella is only one of the components of a future complex artificial ecosystem. We will need to recycle biological waste, clean water.

Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 02:28 UTC

I know but if we use microorganism to produce air. That is not enough for us

Last edited by:  Imam Idris (Asgardian)  on Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 02:29 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 07:56 UTC

1. We do not produce air, we only change the concentrations of carbon dioxide and oxygen to a level suitable for breathing. This is regeneration.
2. Air regeneration is only one small part of a complex artificial ecosystem.
3. It is still necessary to purify biological waste, regenerate water,  produce food (growing plants and animals, processing of vegetable and  animal raw materials in food)

Even if we develop this complex complex, then this will only be the beginning of our journey! Next, we will optimize the system, make it more stable to fluctuations in conditions. Experiment with different strains of microorganisms and their combinations.
There are a lot of works.

Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 08:16 UTC

Why he began with the system of air regeneration.
Without air, a person can live for several minutes.
Without water a few days. Without food a few weeks.
Therefore, in my opinion, it is more logical to first provide a person with air suitable for breathing. We will start the next steps later.
Or, if you want to help, start the development yourself))

Candidate Strategist

Updated  on Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 08:38 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 16:20 UTC

Kamu benar tapi membuat sistem seperti itu memerlukan waktu yang lama. Saya harap anda dapat mewujudkannya dan saya siap untuk membantu anda

[Mod Edit]
Translations: You are right but making such a system takes a long time. I hope you can make it happen and I am ready to help you

This translation was made by Google Translate. Please make sure when using the forums to copy/paste the English translation below your comment in your native language. This ensures that all persons interested in reading your post are able to understand it. Thank you for understanding.

Syafriza Bakri, August 7th 2017, 11:00 AM UTC

Last edited by:  Syafriza Pratama (Asgardian)  on Aug 7, 17 / Vir 23, 01 10:59 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Translation

Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 17:10 UTC

How can you help? I can suggest the option to build a similar installation at home and test it in parallel. If this does not suit you then offer your options. We will discuss. I will be happy to receive your help.
At  the moment, I'm having trouble getting an LED with the necessary  spectral characteristics (the spectral range was different from what I  stated in the description) I'm looking for another supplier.

Candidate Strategist

Updated  on Aug 6, 17 / Vir 22, 01 17:12 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time