Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 00:29 UTC

Will be needed a forestry engineer in space?  

I was thinking tons of that... i wonder if asgardia will have enough space to (it's used "sow a seed" or "plant a seed"? -choose what's best grammatically-) and have forests....

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 01:05 UTC

I'm hoping there will be space enough on the ship. It would be very useful to have plants on board. An awesome thing to have on the ship could be a dome or designated areas filled with a nature habitat. Or the flora could be integrated within the entire ship itself. In homes, hallways, stores, etc. The words "sow" and "plant" are both viable options for the subject.

Last edited by:  Christian Sheppard (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 01:16 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 02:33 UTC

I believe the better option, at least to start with would be to have a botonist. In order to have a fully functional space nation we definitely should include growing a wide range of plants, both as food and medicine.

Providing sustainable provisions such as food and water without having to always import products could be advantageous in the long run but unfortunately also requires a lot of space, water, time and energy.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 02:48 UTC

Even though it may require a lot of space and time, it would be necessary to keep costs down on shipping materials and make it easier/ quicker to obtain the necessary materials, in this case plants that supply food and oxygen. In the long run we will be grateful that we had decided to create more space and put in more time for the vital resources. I like the way you're thinking on the subject and I can't wait to hear more about this.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 16:19 UTC

Until we actualy get into a space station, the botanists and the forestry engineers will be needed to ensure that the growth of the city, if there is one to be in the future too, sincei it is not quite sure yet, don't over step the necessity of the plants presence. Some limits recommendations should be done by these workers.

For the space part; we should take in consideration the hydroponic systems to grow our large variety of plants. May be for food or medecine. Until a station get large enough to sustain actual trees, a botanist would be more than usefull to suggest wish type of plants would be more needed than others, and why. This implement a listing of such plants (ex: tomato ... how to grow the plant itself ... what type of plants could be potted in the same area to help each other to grow properly ... is there some type of insects to consider a necessity for it ... etc)

And, it is no secret that plants bring us oxygen.

Another thing. Our waste. Would we use these for plants? Compost could be process in a closed system and brang in a way to the plants, maybe by some pipes.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 07:26 UTC

You would honestly entertain a station without an arboritum deck?

And until a station is large enough to grow trees, I don't think there's going to be much more than the construction crew up there.

In an effort to save space on a station - which is limited - deploying numerous smaller stations to act as dedicated farms would be productive. There's a lot more space in, well, space. The cost of moving things between is minimised by the use of centrafugal launchers.