Jan 5, 17 / Aqu 05, 01 22:43 UTC

Zoologics and you.  

I have a question for anyone who works with animals. Given the stressors that astronauts have biologically, could one predict how animals would live in space? We need to have some sort of protein, and I do not know about everyone else, but I like beef, chicken, fish, all the animal proteins. I am aware you lose a lot of your sense of taste in space( which is a travesty), but if Asgardia is to be a successful nation, one needs to think about food, and humans are meant for protein consumption. Personally, I do not want to live on nuts and beans for my protein nutrition.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 18:32 UTC

Animal protein, while a personal favourite of mine, is not viable when considering the space and infrastructure required for adequate production. The best we could manage would probably be creating a viable source of insect-based protein. Not quiet as appealing as a bacon sandwich....

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 12:15 UTC

Hello there, interesting question and the answer might be in 3 different stages, the way I see it as a veterinarian is: 1- first stage to use non animal. Protein, such as power bars, or plants related proteins. However, this stage is a must until we find the proper technology to take animals with us. 2- the second stage is about creating a suitable conditions to let animals live and breed in space..this stage require engineers more than zoologists 3- the last stage is where we can produce a fair amount of meat to the Asgard nation and then we might even export the extra to earth.

Feb 2, 17 / Pis 05, 01 23:12 UTC

i posted this on another thread. but i found this for consideration. it seems like a feasible option to traditional meat production i.e. zoonoses, bacteria, animal waste etc.

http://www.memphismeats.com/press-releases/

Feb 4, 17 / Pis 07, 01 19:07 UTC

Yes, before thinking about habitaiton, you think about supplying the populous.

Thusly you first establish farms. Both conventional and energy. If you establish these before even begining construction of mass habitation facilities then the excess produce - almost all of it - can be sold to Earth to fund other initatives. By the time we're able to do this food will be a severely profitable comodity. If we obtain the materials to build these farms from mining things like the asteriod belt between Mars and Jupiter then the per-installation cost can be reduced down almost to the time it takes to happen. As more facilities roll out and production begins to scale suitably, you then do similar for agricultural livestock... Just in between the Earth and the moon enough sunlight misses both to supply all our needs, for the forseable futre, and that of Earth. As that becomes insufficient, we can consider other locations.

Plant related protiens and power bars are not the sort of thing to base long term sustainance upon. Such a stage shoudn't be considered as viable.