Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:02 UTC

Canadian embassy  

Hello everyones!

Even so there is an actual discussion about embassies/clubs here : https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/embassies-69/topic/clubsembassies-259/

I would like to have your opinion on it and the points I propose you.

First of all, on facebook we had a discussion about where to settle a first embassy in the country. Most opinion direct it to be Ottawa, since this is the capital city of our country and would set it to be easyer for politic communications and meetings. Even so, it been said that some are feeling to be pushed aside since the capital is far from many western cities of the country.

Because the country is large, I do agree that we could be in the need of two embassies. One in for the eastern region, and one for the western region. My proposal is to keep Ottawa for the eastern one, but, I was wonderng where the second one could be settle, if another one is to be possible. Let us know what you think about it! You can also see the link I provided to let others know what you think.

Last edited by:  Rebekah Berg (Asgardian, Lead Admin)  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 13:20 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times
Reason: Added url link for ease of browsing

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 22:52 UTC

Considering the size of Canada, it does make sense to have two embassies. One for the East and West.

With Ottawa being the logical choice for the Eastern part of the country. Perhaps for the West, a place like Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc. I would leave it up to the people to choose collectively what is best for the West Coast.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 02:52 UTC

So I realize why Ottawa is being suggested, and I do understand the idea of dual embassies (Im in BC myself), but from a cost perspective, would that be feasible? Not too mention money could be better spent elsewhere. I dont really have a solution, just wanted to point out that may be a heavy ask. Also, I'd be curious to see where the spread of Asgardians in Canada are before naming alternatives.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 03:13 UTC

Here are, normaly, the tasks of an embassy (it could also be taken as why we work to have some in different countries around the globe, even if there is a cost for it):

-Contributing to the formulation and implementation of Asgardia's foreign policy to advance our national interests. We do so by providing the Government of Asgardia with reporting and analysis of political and economic developments in the country where the embassies are;

-Making friends and being a responsible and constructive member of the international community. This includes deepening ''country''-Asgardia bilateral ties, including in foreign policy and defence. We also work to promote and expand Asgardia’s trade and economic relationship with the country, and to reach out to the public to promote Asgardia's image; and

Providing efficient and responsive consular assistance to asgardians where the embassies are.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 19:40 UTC

I believe we should have a single embassy to be located in Ottawa. I'm from BC myself, but if we truly want to be a recognized country we should set our embasy where the governing bodies of a country are, not where the citizens reside.

For those in the prairies and the east coast it still isn't going to help to have two embassies in BC and Ontario. So I suggest we have the one embassy focused on communications with the Canadian government and then independently run chapters throughout the country. The embassy could provide limited support and mediation for the chapters, but otherwise each chapter could vary between inexpensive coffee shop meetings to having a meeting hall if a chapter has enough involvement and donations.

Dec 26, 16 / Cap 25, 00 06:12 UTC

The one in the east should be in Papineauville! ;-)

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 15:35 UTC

Officially it makes sense to base the embassy in Ottawa , but it does seem a bit far for many. Maybe keep the embassy in Ottawa to handle more of "Contributing to the formulation and implementation of Asgardia's foreign policy to advance our national interests" part but then have chapters in each of the major cities in the provinces/territories that can be made up of Asgardians from the local population that have a better feel for the needs and wants and can do the "Making friends and being a responsible and constructive member of the international community" much easier.

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 07:28 UTC

We don't need two embassies. 9,000 Canadian-Asgardians. With this SMALL number. One embassy can do the job. Ottawa being the logical choice for its location as its our capitol.

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 19:19 UTC

I agree the most with craf. I think we should have our actual embassy in Ottawa, but provide services through satellite chapter offices being run by individual members and volunteers. The reason I say this is that Ottawa is the most centralized and most reasonable location for the embassy.

I realize that the West Coast is getting kind of the short end of the deal with that arrangement, but it should never mean that anyone from the West Coast would get left out of the decision making process. We could still have conference calls, arrange conventions, have fundraisers, start advocacy action and even do research over the internet.

Last edited by:  Shawn Crawford (Asgardian)  on Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 19:25 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 5, 17 / Aqu 05, 01 00:11 UTC

Even I personaly propose the presence of two embassies (by the concern of those in the western regions of the country), I do agree that for the moment it would be best to have only one.

The proposition about satellite chapters or ''club'' of some sort, would be a good idea too. It would more relly on volountering than anything else. It will probably be more feasable by using fundraising than to count on Asgardia fund for the moment.

Jan 5, 17 / Aqu 05, 01 11:08 UTC

I'm in Halifax, NS, and i see Ottawa as the logical location for it since it is also more a central location of the country; besides being the capital as well. Perhaps volunteer kiosks in a few other destinations across the country for anyone that would prefer to speak with someone in person for more information, rather than just online or by phone once an embassy is able to be setup later on down the road.

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 11:35 UTC

I have to agree that Victoria is probably te best location for a western embassy if any at all....

Just my two cents....

Jan 16, 17 / Aqu 16, 01 15:55 UTC

I have to agree that Ottawa is a great place to have the embassy, as there is already 100% of the worlds embassies there.

On a side note, Having satellite offices across the country is maybe a good idea. As we are all over the place.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 05:18 UTC

Anyone consider london ontario, it a nice city afterall.

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 02:33 UTC

Throwing my two cents in...

While BC is a great location for west coast it is a bit far for people in Saskatoon and Regina... I would say Edmonton or Calgary but I'm from Alberta so I'm biased.

Also what I mean by that is to have an embassy like Place not a second embassy... we don't need two.