Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 20:20 UTC

Emergency fund for Asgardians or Families in Distress.  

Good After-noon Asgardia. after reviewing the two other posted topics, I would like to discuss the possibility of beginning and administrating (not necessarily me but I would have not problem being an elected agent for the fund) a donated pool of money specifically for Asgardians and their immediate (I.E. dependents) family when in distress. I am 28 and in the U.S. Navy. Once a year I elect to donate to a fund called the Navy and Marine Corps Relief society. This money is given to the society as a charitable contribution and then re-dispersed on an as needed and emergency basis to military and their dependents during times which they need it most. Some causes which someone might ask for help from N.M.C.R.S might be but are not limited to a death in the family and a plane ticket is needed when funds aren't available, someone's vehicle has stopped working and it is crucially relied upon by the family to make ends meet (a repair bill might be paid for example). There are many reasons why someone might need help from the community. More-over I think that the community wants very much so to help it-self. This would be a great way to do that. To ensure that nobody wrongfully becomes entitled to money they don't actually need, a strict set of rules would be implemented so that people could not make multiple requests for aid in a year or so. The donations and dispersals would be closely audited to prevent fraud and embezzlement.

Let me know what you all think. Is there an accountant and a legal agent that might be able to chime in on this? Also someone from the Ministry of Administrative Affairs that might have an official response?

Very Respectfully, Levi Fraser

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 21:55 UTC

Lovely idea! Really like that concept!

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 13:27 UTC

Hi

I fully support this idea.

Regards

Fpitts

Last edited by:  Francis Pitts (Asgardian)  on Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 13:28 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 15:56 UTC

You have my enthusiastic and passive support.

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 20:06 UTC

Ann, I agree with your statement completely. Any ideas on how to mitigate un-justified requests? I'm currently serving in the US Navy and we have a program like this in place for us which is why I thought that doing something in kind would be beneficial for all of Asgardia. The way I see it, there would have to be very special circumstances to withdraw from the account. Things like a house burning down is universal to everyone around the world. While we all have differing living circumstances, we can all appreciate that not having a place to stay or the ability to get food, something to that extent, can at times be difficult to overcome. We could run this program with an "intent to repay" system. Whatever kind of assistance you are given should be paid back, promptly within a year? Something like this.

May 12, 18 / Gem 20, 02 07:49 UTC

Было бы хорошо иметь по представителю такого фонда в каждом языковом секторе Асгардии. В целом я поддерживаю подобную инициативу.

-----------------------

It would be good to have a representative of such a fund in every language sector in Asgardia. In general, I support such an initiative.

Last edited by:  Cpt Lorca (Asgardian)  on May 14, 18 / Gem 22, 02 01:10 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: Translation added by Denise Blair 14 May 2018 01:09. Second edit reason: removed border from pasted text

Aug 17, 18 / Lib 05, 02 02:25 UTC

Responding to emergencies is generally done by fundraisers, charity organizations, or government organizations. These are funded by individual donations and taxation. People in an emergency sometimes use Indiegogo for fundraising. People asking for loans sometimes use KIVA. I think that setting up an emergency fund would be bad for PR, because the people running it would have to decide who is worthy of help and who is not, and this will inevitably lead to controversy. If there were a feature like KIVA or Indiegogo which allowed donors to choose where their money went, then that would be much better than centralizing the authority to decide who lives and who dies (i.e. in a medical emergency). Also the purpose needs to be more concise. What kinds of problems are the focus? Human rights? Disaster relief? Healthcare?

I apologize in advance for being brutal, but the wider the focus, the worse the resources to need ratio. I think there should either be a per capita quota for how much assistance one person can receive, or a cost-benefits analysis with final decisions being crowdsourced.

I think that the best way to prevent controversy is to focus on specific issues that we have the resources to solve.