Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 00:08 UTC

Welfare?  

Asgardia should have perpetual food, water, and energy in order for it to survive for generations. Welfare would be there the moment someone is born, or the moment they step aboard.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 00:15 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:59 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: "This user no longer wishes to be associated with a tin pot banana republic"

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 14:28 UTC

Hi Clive I don't agree with you in regards to oxygen not being free. Oxygen is a basic human right because without it we won't be alive. How are we going to breathe in a floating tin can up there? What if somebody who has a disability who can't work for that welfare, how will they live? We are going to need a welfare system which is fair and equal to everyone. But with a few restrictions so it's not abused.

Regards

Fpitts

Last edited by:  Francis Pitts (Asgardian)  on Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 15:14 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 18:06 UTC

With better technology, we can have it all in space.

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 00:37 UTC

I think the idea of Welfare is a little premature for us to be addressing right now, honestly. We don't even have a functional Constitution yet. Baby steps. We have other more pressing matters to attend to. But for the record, I do think that once the Agardian government can afford to deliver on promises like welfare to set a minimum basic standard of living it should be expected to do so for every citizen paying their fair share of taxes. Nor would I be against the idea of a universal basic income, but again: once the infrastructure and government has the backing and funding to deliver on these promises, it'll be a futile discussion. But the government can only deliver on these promises if the people of that government's jurisdiction pay for them in the form of taxes. So long as it is being used correctly, taxation is a fabulous tool for the distribution of finaces to the broader populace. Yes, that does mean that if you have more, you pay a little more, but that's honestly the way it should be. Individual wealth eventually hits a point where there is no need for a single person to have all the money they bring in. But I'm getting ahead of us, as I stated, it's too early for welfare discussion without first reaching a consensus on the taxation discussion.

Last edited by:  Benjamin Reed (Asgardian)  on Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 00:44 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 20:58 UTC

Welfare sounds like an unnecessary concept. There will be more than enough work to go around for everybody between harvesting food, performing mechanical tasks, making science happen, and just generally doing whatever job they choose to do.

If people are unable to work, they would receive rehabilitation until they are capable of working again.

Also, from my understanding, healthcare would be state-funded--thus, there's no need for disability, either.

Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 04:02 UTC

The state has not been established, did not get the United Nations to set up everything is imaginary

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 12:34 UTC

@Ji Tao.

Asgardia is a very real nation currently in its planning, community outreach, fundraising and policy develoent stages. Just because we are planning before implementation takes place does not mean Asgardia will never happen.

In fact, there are several posts throughout the forums requesting meet-ups, design plans, conference calls over Skype and so on. Prime Minister Igor and a number of Asgardians have made contact with the UN. The UN has stringent requirements for membership, but it starts right at the foundations.

As an added bonus, I myself took the time to create a draft and sing along for a p9twntial National Anthem.

Things are getting done, and I appreciate the fact that people such as yourself care enough about the concept of Asgardia to keep others' work in check.

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 16:23 UTC

Artificial Intelligence seems to be taking off right now and based on science articles in a few years many people will be unemployable. Do we even take things like this into consideration? Someone should Make a timeline of Asgardia taking into consideration predictions of future technology (Ray Kurzweil and Michio Kaku make fairly good predictions on tech).

Feb 15, 17 / Pis 18, 01 01:01 UTC

Artificial intelligence has a lot of potential benefits for the welfare of a Asgardian person. From taking a person ( who has a severe mobility disability) from A to B to help aid a severe disabled person in daily living. These are a few of the potential benefits I see artificial intelligence having in regards to welfare.

In terms of Jobs security, I propose measures to be put in place, either legislation created to legally protect Jobs or procedures to be in place so that if a person loses a job because of AI, the asgardia state will help in any form in finding said person another Job.

I know as controversial it may sound but by doing this the asgardia nation 's welfare system will become beneficial and supportive to people in time of need.....

...By doing this the asgardia will become a shining example to the world by not forgetting the "little Man"

My personal opinion

I often wonder because of the looming threat of Al that if as humanity, we could counter this threat and use the dangers of Al as a benefit and things look dark.

Regards

Fpitts

Feb 15, 17 / Pis 18, 01 02:45 UTC

I would personally favour that a universal basic income be considered for the future of Asgardia versus a welfare system. I think perhaps changing our philosophies surrounding ideas of work through providing for basic needs could promote community engagement and creativity within a society.

Feb 19, 17 / Pis 22, 01 06:26 UTC

Why is this even a question? There are far too many variables that affect people that may cause a need for such a system to be in place! Not everyone will be able to work for a living and in turn pay taxes. Also after a certain age it becomes more perilous for people to strain themselves doing physical labor. Those folks will need to be cared for and would benefit from such a system. A nation is only as strong as it's citizens and poorly cared for citizens make for a weak nation! So, I say when the time comes give the people who will need it a safety net and do not punish them for what is beyond their control.

Folks, please do not bring that bs hostility implanted into your subconcious by folks who seek to control you into Asgardia and realize the folks who would benefit from such a system just need the help

Feb 20, 17 / Pis 23, 01 07:34 UTC

Welfare? UBI would certanly fit the predicatble variables, if any such system should be required at all. As previously mentioned, it should take care of requirements regardless of circumstances, and thusly free up the people's time for more productive efforts than chasing fictional resources in order to assure survival.

It would also mitigate things like "losing jobs to AI" which is assuredly to only be an ever increasing feature - and this is a good thing, it frees up human time for that human to do what they would like to do. As for "finding another job" it's quite unlikley there is to be many jobs to find. Most requirement for being eliminated, that which remains being far too few to realistically entertain prospect for most to find one. But thanks to things like UBI they shouldn't need one. There is no real "looming threat" to AI, IMHO, It's not looming, it's here. And it's not a threat, it's happening. I personally don't think this has to be a bad thing, if approached correctly it could be an incredibly good thing.