Mar 4, 17 / Ari 07, 01 02:03 UTC

Special Committee: Asgardia Mobile Application Development - Committee Members Wanted  

Hello everyone!

We are opening up the floor to qualified volunteers to sit on the committee to help pull all of the great ideas together from the community into a comprehensive project proposal for Asgardia Official.

We are looking for 8 - 11 people with Project Management, IT and Mobile Application experience to fill this committee by March 10, 2017 to have the project proposal submitted to Asgardia Official by April 1, 2017. English language proficiency is required, Russian is an asset.

PLEASE NOTE: This committee is NOT developing the application, no coding will be done until AFTER Asgardia Official signs off on the project proposal. Committee members may be allowed to stay on and help build the application, but this is not set in stone.

If you are interested in volunteering, please send your name, CV and a brief cover letter on why you would like to volunteer for this committee to volunteers@asgardia.space

Kind regards,
Rebekah Berg, Lead Community Administrator, Asgardia

Last edited by:  Rebekah Berg (Asgardian, Lead Admin)  on Mar 4, 17 / Ari 07, 01 02:09 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 19, 17 / Ari 22, 01 00:50 UTC

I have thought about this topic over a week now. I can not figure out what would require a mobile app. Could you please explain the purpose of such an application?Otherwise, this would be an unfocused gathering of ideas which couldn't be orchestrated in every scenario into a proposal without a real goal.

Mar 19, 17 / Ari 22, 01 11:12 UTC

This has been well discussed in this other topic.

Mar 19, 17 / Ari 22, 01 14:36 UTC

I know that topic, but that's just gathering information of what the community wishes to have. Some of the listed stuff there stays in conflicts with privacy, some of the stuff is decentralizing and ignoring better solutions. The topic does not reflect the initial goals of an app. If the app is just a "this is for us"-thing, we will detach a lot of ideas from the project because of non-existing laws at asgardia and laws conflicts of the publisher's country. Some of them require APIs which aren't available yet and won't available (and secure) for a longer time.

There should be a reason what this app should be for in general, not what community wishes it does additionally support.

If it does only serve what the community want, the delegation of the decision of who should implement it to AIRC makes the entire thing obsolete.

Mar 19, 17 / Ari 22, 01 22:04 UTC

Yeah you even posted in there, sorry for that. :P

Interesting point of view... I was under the impression that the app did not have any stated goal, and that was precisely why the discussion got started.

It starts from:
- There is a database with Asgardian users, ministry details, whathaveyou.
- We can build apps connected to databases.

And from there, let's find out whether there are useful goals to attain.

Regarding security concerns, I had an answer in the thread with my personal opinion; fully aware of the risks, I'd be willing to take them.

I must disagree with your last sentence (whether Asgardia officials should decide who implements it): I believe an app allowed to peek into the Asgardian user data must do so in the most controlled way possible, and that would be with maintainers of said DB fully collaborating with implementers of their choice, that they would trust.
Admittedly, in the long run, Asgardia data may be exposed through some sort of API available to "trusted apps", but that requires a lot of effort on the back-end which I doubt would happen short term.

Mar 19, 17 / Ari 22, 01 23:51 UTC

The sea of trusting to the skills of the IT team is already bloody, I am not sure if you really understand why I mention the delegation thing.

What we saw until now is not the best possible thing, nor professional. It's not extremely unlogical to see some things about the app in danger when people decide a thing that was already decided badly before. A great example is the Captcha at the forums, there were a couple things suggested that do not degrade the UX of the forums (google's brand new interaction-free ReCAPTCHA as an example) with the same effect.

Maybe hard words, but success is based on truth and professionalism, not cut off half-truth and beautifully spoken results.

Updated  on Mar 19, 17 / Ari 22, 01 23:51 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 20, 17 / Ari 23, 01 01:37 UTC

I fully agree with the brutally honest truth philosophy. It might not be appreciated commonly but it clearly defines areas for improvements. Someone professional wouldn't allow any facet to result in a "brutal truth" they find unappealing.

Basically, this "app" you are describing - One that enters the database to retrieve content, like user's posts - already exists. It's called a web browser. This sends a GET request to the server, which then serves it appropriate content.

There's nothing in the list of "features" requested that's not incredibly easy to provide via a browser, and as I mentioned in the thread you reference, you can avoid maintaining three independant systems that perform the precise same function. You also solve generating more security fails for no reason, and can concentrate on fixing the problems already caused by not thinking about what is supposed(or not supposed) to be happening.

Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 17:18 UTC

Hello,

I have closed this topic due to lack of interest for community involvement. All suggestions made on the community feedback topic will be compiled and handed to Official and the IT team for feedback and maybe future development.

I thank everyone who gave feedback on this initiative.

Kind regards, Rebekah Berg, Lead Community Administrator, Asgardia