Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 00:27 UTC

Age of Majority  

What should the age of Majority be. ie. the voting age or the age of civil partnership consent.

Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 20:57 UTC

I think fixing the age of majority to a biological age does not take into account individual qualifications, a relict from a less civilized, educated era. Were it up to me, I'd instead have some sort of test or exam to determine majority- perhaps linked to the completion of nationally mandated education, or maybe after the completion of a citizenship course. It really is important to have a population that is well-educated in the workings of politics for such a massive endeavor as Asgardia to succeed.

Regards, InsanityOS

Last edited by:  Joshua Holzhauser (Asgardian)  on Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 20:57 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 18, 17 / Aqu 18, 01 22:24 UTC

I like the idea of a Majority Test, particularly one that involves some kind of citizenship course. As a minimum, such a course would cover civics and critical thinking. I'm not saying that Asgardia needs to be a society of Einsteins but Asgardians do need to have the ability to make truly informed decisions, after assessing the facts.

For example, I found it baffling that in the UK's EU Referendum there were people who voted to Leave the EU and then were either surprised that their vote actually did something, or angry that ludicrous promises they were given were not going to be honoured - see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-anger-bregret-leave-voters-protest-vote-thought-uk-stay-in-eu-remain-win-a7102516.html

Setting an arbitrary age of majority doesn't seem very helpful. It can lead to paradoxical situations where one is old enough to join the military and die for their country but not old enough to vote or drink alcohol.

Jan 18, 17 / Aqu 18, 01 23:33 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:13 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 03:45 UTC

I believe age shouldn't be a factor as far as work or exams go. I think that if you're highly qualified but young (say 15) then you should work how you want. Of course it goes without saying that everyone should be treated equally regardless of age with respect and dignity.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 15:22 UTC

I don't have any experience in test making or behavioral science but I can try to create a test that measures for information accuracy and stress. Since it is a voting test it could be a test devoted to voting history and thought processes throughout history. (All countries.) The test would have no time limit. (To make the testers comfortable and not rush through.) What the test takers are not told is that they are in fact being timed. (On the rate of correct answers and the time taken, along with the amount of wrong answers) There is also another factor the tester are not told about: stress. There are two psychiatrists in the room. However one is an aggressor. His/Her job is during the test when the takers are preoccupied with the exam. The second psychiatrist is there to observe the takers behavior during the aggressors activity and to cue the aggressor to back down where necessary. (His/Her job will be to bring the takers close to their breaking point.) As the testers take their exam, (Say 20 mins pass) the aggressor begins to agitate the takers. Again, just enough to rile them but not too much. (They still need to finish the exam.) Afterwards, the takers are taken to a secondary room and given the actual objective of the test. As I've mentioned before I don't have any background in behavioral science or on making tests but if we are to make a space colony, I would want to make sure that it's citizen remain calm during tense situations and think out solutions logically.

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 06:07 UTC

Twenty-five. The age of majority isn't only the age when full adult rights are granted, but the age at which a person becomes legally liable for their actions and 25 errs on the side of caution for the latter. I could also point to a lot statistics for higher rates of dangerous, violent, or criminal behaviors among people under 25. We won't have the luxury to tolerate teenagers dying in car wrecks on a space station.

Last edited by:  Michael Hoselton (Asgardian)  on Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 06:08 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 21:20 UTC

As long as entering the military and getting all types inebriated are the same age as this then I'm fine with it.

Last edited by:  Marlon Diaz (Asgardian)  on Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 22:28 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 24, 17 / Aqu 24, 01 16:16 UTC

I agree that 25 is a safe limit for personal responsibility.

Jan 27, 17 / Aqu 27, 01 14:38 UTC

The age of majority is correct in 25, but they must be criminally responsible from the age of 14. Greatings.

Jan 27, 17 / Aqu 27, 01 19:30 UTC

The age of majority is correct in 25, but they must be criminally responsible from the age of 14.

We do not expect you to uphold a contract until 25, but we expect you to be responsible for all non-economic wrongdoing at 14? I do not follow.

There still has to be some mechanism to deal with juvenile crime regardless of the age of majority.

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 16:32 UTC

"I agree that 25 is a safe limit for personal responsibility." I am in complete agreement with this line of thinking. I would add that between ages 16-25 citizens are given gradually more rights and responsibilities with the end goal of full standing in the community at 25. Upon reaching 25 citizens should have an absolutely clear understanding of their obligations to Asgardia and Asgardia's responsibilities to them.

Feb 1, 17 / Pis 04, 01 12:30 UTC

A compromise might be more effective; full voting rights at 25, but with a voluntary means-test for anyone over 18. If you can prove you have enough understanding, and care enough, about the subject to research it, then you can win rights. Might get around the 'roughly old enough' vagaries.

Feb 3, 17 / Pis 06, 01 04:51 UTC

i agree with 25 but then i also think that there shouldn't be age, it should be done to common sense of the person, also that the vote is their choice to make if they want to, but they must know what they are voting for and the outcome of the either side of the vote.

Feb 3, 17 / Pis 06, 01 05:18 UTC

How do you prove something qualitatively subjective? How do you apply such a test equally to all citizens? Is the scoring interpreted by a human or measured by a machine?

Age may be arbitrary, but the arbitrariness is a known variable to everyone.