Jun 22, 17 / Leo 05, 01 13:22 UTC

Security vs Privacy  

What do we valoue the most scurity or privacy? It's a common fact that privacy and secuirty are not compatible since the one cunters the other. Does Asgardian government have the right to revoke the privacy of a person in a nationa security breach? To which point? Does privacy be a right above all the other or should it be a right submited to obligations? 

Jun 30, 17 / Leo 13, 01 10:49 UTC

Hello, we have taken the liberty of moving this post to CIVIL JUSTICE as we feel it is a more appropriate space for this type of discussion.

(Originally posted in IMMIGRATION AND REFUGEES)

Jun 30, 17 / Leo 13, 01 11:20 UTC

I do not understand why privacy is considered a right.

With the exception of reproduction, elimination and ablutions (which all involve some degree of nudity), I fail to see why privacy is necessary.

OTP

Jul 5, 17 / Leo 18, 01 12:10 UTC

As humans we all require some privacy.  We need a balance between privacy and security.

As an example: Personally I don't care if a computer reads my email - but I do care if a person does.  Also if a person I know reads my email it's different to if a stranger reads it.

Example 2: I once worked in a place where platinum was used - everyone was searched when they left.  Since I knew before-hand that it would happen it seemed fine.  But if a policeman randomly accosted me on the street demanding to search me I would be very unhappy!

As Asgardia is now, with us all living in other countries, it is unable to provide us with security so it may as well give us privacy!  Once people live and work on Asgardia owned property the security arrangements should fit the threat.  I am willing to give up quite a lot of privacy to avoid death, but I'm not willing to give up much to avoid my company loosing money!  I think the security arrangements and the powers given to security personnel much be enough for the task at hand but no more.  I also think the requirements much change over time as threats come and go.  Sometimes you only know about a threat when it is too late.  I don't think we want to live in a paranoid society but a pleasant open one.  I don't expect the government to save me from every threat and I do expect it to let me live my life as I like, so long as I also let others live theirs.