Your thoughts on the proposal?

Total number of votes: 8

37.5% This is a good idea and should be considered

62.5% No, we should keep thinking

Apr 2, 17 / Tau 08, 01 01:28 UTC

Leap Years in the Asgardian Calendar  

I'd like to start by apologising if this is in the wrong category, but I have a suggestion.

As of yet it would seem as if there is no agreed upon way to handle leap years in the Asgardian calendar, so I have a proposal. I think every four years we should change Year Day to Sol Day (or something in the same vain), and allocate that day 48 hours rather than 24. That way we don't need leap-year calendars or anything, it simply becomes an extension of Year Day. We don't really need to even change the name of Year Day every four years, but I think it's nice to give that longer day some differentiation; it seems quite special. As Asgardia is a space nation, we don't need to worry about Earth's day-night cycles as much. Allowing a day to span over two nights seems rather fitting.

I will attach a poll just to see what people think of this idea. Have a nice day, fellow Asgardians.

Apr 2, 17 / Tau 08, 01 02:42 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 18:42 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: I'm leaving Asgardia

Apr 2, 17 / Tau 08, 01 04:09 UTC

@Jason Rainbow I would argue that extending Year Day is more of a guarantee of an extra 24 hours of vacation than if we were to add an extra outside day. many places today still employ people on a leap day, as it's not a holiday. However Year Day is a holiday, so extending it to be twice is long is just a guaranteed holiday. But anyway, in my opinion we shouldn't be looking for ways to give us as much holiday as possible. That's not how you build a calendar

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 13:37 UTC

IF we are going with the Asgardian calendar, I do not see a need to have leap years. Their purpose is to keep months in association with Earth seasons. These are unnecessary in Asgardia.

I also think, if we are going wholeheartedly in favor of the Asgardian calendar, that it share no terrestrial month names. Make them completely independent so that there are two ways to measure time.

FMG

Dec 20, 18 / Cap 18, 02 15:43 UTC

Apologies for the thread necromancy.

@Asgardian 3618: If it were entirely true that the Asgardian calendar were to not intended to have any association with the Gregorian calendar, then there would have not been any need to add a thirteenth month in the first place. Based on what I see, that thirteenth month was created solely for the purpose of aligning the two calendars. For that matter, why even bother with a seven day week? In our base ten number system, wouldn't it be more prudent to move to a time system that is also base ten? Ten days per week, ten weeks per month, ten months per year, etc.

I don't see any problem doing more to keep them aligned, since that seems to have been a goal (implicit or explicit) in the first place.