Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 17:05 UTC

Matrix.org infrastructure  

Matrix is a new communication/chat platform that is federated. It uses p2p connected servers to share information across a single global network. The advantage of p2p networks in relation to space is that we can have the same network span multiple planets and space stations rather than being bound to a specific data centre on earth.

Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 02:27 UTC

I am with you, totally. But we should invent subspace communication first, otherwise it would be a bit tricky to connect from one planet to another, at least the delay would kill any relationship of the participating people.

Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 05:25 UTC

As far as interplanetary communications have not to be "real time", Matrix.org should be the answer for distributed ones, just to avoid having "all the eggs in the same basket" (see Wikipedia, Wikileaks and, as far as I know, Avaaz problems). ;-)
I remember, in the "old times" (before Internet spreaded so much), Earth digital communications (e-mail, forum) was handled by BBS and messages took "some days" to travel to distant countries (where "distant" means "into another continent").
That to say, even some hours may be an acceptable delay, to send/receive an e-mail from Mars or even more distant "colonies" (still into Solar System). ;-)

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 19:14 UTC

In any Internet system security should be a priority. We will depend on many electronic equipment, we can not let them become infected or compromised, the lives of thousands of people will be under that risk. Therefore, I propose that the messaging and chat system be limited. Use # 2 Use an intranet entirely separate from the rest of the world, only for local use and open to the rest of the world for a single day of the week. Make hacking difficult. Whatever the ultimate security should be the first action to consider.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 22:22 UTC

I´m not sure if "connect one planet only for one day to week" is the best option. Maybe we need layers of security and isolate the critical infraestructure to the rest of the network.

Thanks

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 05:17 UTC

A VPN could provide for isolating any infrastructure not intended for public access.

I'm not aware of the "matrix" so am unable to comment on suitability - Is that open source? IMHO XMPP is a much more viable solution. It's open source, throughly tested, pretty much bullet proof in terms of reliability, resilient against assault and able to operate in a distributed fashion in as much as me being connected to my XMPP server doesn't isolate me from users on other XMPP servers. Settings dependant ofc. It supports textual IM, vid, voice, files - anything you can wedge into an XML stanza. Native SSL/TLS can be further wrapped in GPG/PGP and additional layers of OTR to ensure privacy and assured authentication of conversation recipient. It supports 1:1, 1:many and many:many comms.

There's not a lot it can't do really.

Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 19:14 UTC

We should have "layers of security", where the "core structures" (central archives, ministry ones) should be insulated by the "intranet" which, in turn, should be insulated by the "internet". The digital infrastructures should be based on linux, which is opensource and can be verified and compiled on need. Even CPUs could be a problem (microcode) but, 'till the moment we can't design our own, we'll must rely to existing ones... which ones is kind of interesting problem by itself (e.g. China decided to develop their ones, discarding mainstream ones, Intel etc., 'cause of security risk they pose). We also should rely on "characters" (text) communications (bare text UTF-8/16/32 characters), avoiding all "active" contents which can delivery "code" (viruses etc.).

Jun 27, 17 / Leo 10, 01 09:53 UTC

Not a big fan of [unsanctioned link] but asgardia's own Matrix and/or IRC server would be a much needed improvements over discord, in term of self-reliance.

Last edited by:  Cpt Lorca (Asgardian)  on Dec 15, 17 / Cap 13, 01 03:03 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Link was removed as it's considered advertising. Removed by Denise Blair 15/12/2017