Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 06:12 UTC

Branches of government  

Three post "writing a constitution, part 1" suggests that there should be three branches of government. Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. I think we need a different structure, without the Executive branch.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 06:24 UTC

Without the executive branch of government, who's going to execute laws, and govern us in day-to-day administration?

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 07:46 UTC

Why can't the population via voting (or an elected body) and have that integral 3rd role to guide the other branches? They would all still balance out but Asgardians would always have delegates representing their interests with direct input. The risk of not directly involving everyone is it will be used to separate 'us' from 'them' and then we get disconnected officials that pursue private agendas. I personally do not want to move from one dysfunctional government to another. I say take what works and change what doesn't. Just a thought and hope to hear some open dialogue!

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:08 UTC

I think we should decide on a form of government before we write a constitution. Here's a wikipedia page on form of government https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formsofgovernment

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:16 UTC

Couldn't we still work on the constitution and charter of rights while the form of government gets worked out? Form of government would only be one part of the overall constitution. But yes, I agree we still definitely need to determine how Asgardia will be governed.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 19:25 UTC

Different forms of government have different types of constitutions. But we can still establish a "Bill of rights" before we work on the rest of the structure.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 15:05 UTC

Good day,

Can someone please address my question.

Why do we need any formal government at all?

My reasoning:

By having volunteer committies, where any citizen is able to volunteer, to no limit. Committiee meetings would be held in an open public chambers for any to attend.

Meetings would be video broadcast to the entire ship, should Citizens wish to tune in and follow.

Speakers at the meetings are given 5 minutes each to present their argument on scheduled topics.

After speaker presentations, all decisions are put to a vote, available in real time to the entire ship, open to all that choose to vote.

Votes are open for a period of 6 hours where all citizens can take the time to openly discuss the topics and make their decision abd cast their vote.

During the voting period, committee volunteers who wish to open a new topic for the next committee meeting would submit a digital form, outlining their proposal to the other committee members for review. Those proposals are then the voted on topics for the next meeting and the person that submitted the proposal is again the speaker and the cycle repeats.

Once the vote is complete, the majority rules and the decision is made but if a citizen strongly opposes the decision, they can collect 1000 signatures to appeal the decision. If appealed, the citizen who files the appeal must submit the alternitive proposal to the other members to schedule their chance to speak and put the alternative to a vote.

Please note that I am aware that this explanation is oversimplified and that many other big and innovative changes need to be made in order for this to work but I assure you that I have accounted for those changes and am willing to openly and constructively discuss those issues and come up with solutions.

Why I am so passionate about this idea?

• Eliminates corruption at every political level

• Gives all citizens who wish to partisapate, an equal voice.

• Full 100% transparency And accountability

• Reactive, immediate policy change to reflect immediate needs.

• No costly and disruptive electoral campaigns with broken promises, destructive propaganda

• No chance of hidden political agenda because rather than voting on a party with hopes of them representing your best interests, you represent your best interests.

• No inflated government salaries, eliminating financial motivation in political policy.

• No division of Left and Right

• Not having to choose the lessor of 2 evils.

This idea is not perfect but if you look at all the forms of government on earth today, none of them are working and the world in in chaos. We have here, the greatest opportunity in the history of civilization, to hit reset and truly guid humanity into the future. Repeating old mistakes in insanity.

Please open your mind and realize that every idea was New once and with a collaboration of minds like ours, we can make a system like this work and become the blueprint for a truly advanced civilization .

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I welcome your ideas, questions and criticism. After all, that's why we're here isn't it?

Terry Foster

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 16:46 UTC

One cannot work on the constitution, which settles the core framework of a government. A 3 part power structure is good, although there is a need for transparency, referendums and increased efficiency.

And moreover, the constitution shouldn't be some Landrecht (Those who studied Law in the EU should recall the lousiest civil code of them all). It Should provide a frame, to which specialized acts can be attached (Such as the civil code, the criminal code, commerce law, sustainable energy act etc).

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 16:49 UTC

And wait, are we going to follow the Common law or Code/Continental law framework? because, as far as the Civil code based law would work just fine, the isntitutions like the Magistrate/Justice of Peace should be incorporated into this system.

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 05:34 UTC

Why do we need any formal government at all?

We need a system that is easily workable for people from all over the world that is proven to function. Asgardia is intended to be the first space colony. Colonies have a tendency to fail and in this case that means most of the citizens dying in space. People need to be confident that of all the reasons Asgardia might fail an unproven, experimental political system is not a possibility.

Mar 26, 17 / Tau 01, 01 13:40 UTC

I like Terry Foster's ideas for using volunteer committees. However, I wonder if those members should be limited in terms they can continue to volunteer?

Mar 27, 17 / Tau 02, 01 15:36 UTC

I'm pretty sure that, even in space as on the Earth, people have usually enough to do (trivially said "to work") to have the time to stay all day, all minutes behind the government and the things this will have to do.
That's why, usually, there is a representative democracy, with (usuallly) "three distinct powers", to avoid each of them to overcome each other.
In some democratic systems people vote for their own representatives only (which will form the Parliament), which in turn elects the government, into other democracies people vote for representatives and for the President.
There are many other government forms but most of them, nearly all, prevides people is represented, not directly acting as a government.
At the moment we're a few (less than 200.000 certified asgardians) so one may think we should take the direct democracy way. But Constitutions are made to last for long time, and in this horizon we'll grow as a Nation, so we should probably take a representative democracy way instead.

Apr 22, 17 / Gem 00, 01 22:23 UTC

I believe that we both should have almost an equal vote of an average citizen to anyone in the gov't. There should be a much better, organized way of checks and balances of the gov't, that is powered by the people, for the people, and only the people. We should be able to control the governments way of how they make new laws, or anything for that matter. I think we should have a much stronger vote in the government than probably most, if not all current governments have and we should have a bigger impact on the Asgardian government.

May 9, 17 / Gem 17, 01 03:41 UTC

I saw a comment about having a government without an Executive Branch.  Historically speaking, the executive guides the coarse of the nation they preside over.  This is done to provide a sense of stability in the government and that is a must for a government and a nation to exist.  It is also done for the sake of efficiency.  A committe would have to discuss and debate a topic whereas an executive can act more decisively.  Again, this is a must have, especially if there is a crisis at hand.