Linkin Park

You told me yes you held me high and I believed when you told that lie
I played soldier, you played king and struck me down, when I kissed that ring
You lost that right, to hold that crown I built you up, but you let me down
So when you fall, I'll take my turn and fan the flames as your blazes burn

AQV

Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 15:31 UTC

Love that song.

Huh... look at this! However did this uchiwa find its way into my hands? Oh, right it's summer... is that a blazing Asgardian dystopia on the horizon?

Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 15:50 UTC

What I am expecting to happen:

The schism will eventually become a break. Those who ratified the Constitution will continue here while those who refused will recognize the futilty of attempting to make change from within and eventually move to create something of their own.

Due to lack of ability to generate funds by those that split, they are unlikely to ever get even so much as a satellite in orbit. As such, they will have a great many ideas, perhaps even plans, maybe even going so far as to designs, but eventually not actually accomplishing anything.

Asgardia, will likely launch their satellite, petition the UN for nation status, but ultimately be denied on the basis that their Constitution is invalid, they didn't have the popular support of even half their population (in fact, many actually left because they were unable to vote no on the Constitution), and they are not behaving as a nation, but only a political group that spans across countries. This all assumes that everyone is being honest about not trying to coax or elicit resources from Asgardians also.

Thus, in the end, the project will fail, all because of bad communications. The same thing that destroys families and friendships will destroy a wanna-be nation.

So sad.

IKY

Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 21:46 UTC

I'm very worried. Is signing "yes" to the constitution legally binding? Can I expect Asgardian tax invoices in my mailbox if I sign yes? I will not pay tax twice, once for my real country, and second for a puny little group that doesn't even have territory (or anything else to offer that I might want, besides that warm fuzzy feeling of "belonging").

I haven't voted yet. Am I risking anything by voting "yes"? Does the UN (or any other international law) even recognize this "nation", and this vote? Can Asgardia levy tax or force me to do something if I vote "yes"?

Last edited by:  Tim Suetens (Asgardian)  on Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 21:49 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 23:36 UTC

MentalParadox(Asgardian) on 20 June 2017, 9:46 p.m.

I'm very worried. Is signing "yes" to the constitution legally binding? Can I expect Asgardian tax invoices in my mailbox if I sign yes? I will not pay tax twice, once for my real country, and second for a puny little group that doesn't even have territory (or anything else to offer that I might want, besides that warm fuzzy feeling of "belonging").

At this stage, no. There are no taxes to pay. The 2nd draft suggested that only taxes would be on Asgardian territory. But that may change. For now, you could view this "tax" as a club membership to a political/social media website.

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 00:46 UTC

@Phicksur That sounds just about right. 

I can already see a lot of hopefuls in my "hometown" postulating their candidacies as debutants. Some copy/paste old ideas and their office-drone resumes, some just post their handsome mugshot, correctly assuming the system is basically a popularity contest.

I know the anticonstitutionalists won't get anywhere on their own, but hell if this schism doesn't spark a few interesting initiatives.

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 00:56 UTC

In my experience, chaos is a great place to learn, just not to live. :D

SQC

Updated  on Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 00:56 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: fucking spelling errors... how did I make so many in such a short post?

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 05:43 UTC

If this is the constitution, I'm sad to say that I do not accept it. I am very disappointed, I thought this was a really serious project and after reading the constitution the only thing I find is a joke and an insult to our intelligence. 

Really disappointed 

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 12:44 UTC

"At this stage, no. There are no taxes to pay. The 2nd draft suggested that only taxes would be on Asgardian territory. But that may change. For now, you could view this "tax" as a club membership to a political/social media website."

So basically, YES. If its legality can change from "not legally binding" to "legally binding", then it would be wise to consider it as legally binding from the get-go. Same with taxes... If I sign, and I get no taxes to pay today - OK. But if that can suddenly change without warning or way to get out, then you might as well pretend that yes, there will be taxes to pay. 

I won't be signing. I didn't have any say in this constitution, I don't like the things people are bringing to my attention (like the ageism), and I certainly won't pay even more bloody taxes (I already pay 55% income tax in my own country) for an imaginary "country" that does not exist! It smells like a scam, anyway. Either that, or a pipe-dream like Mars One.

Last edited by:  Tim Suetens (Asgardian)  on Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 12:45 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 15:39 UTC

In my cynicism I'm beginning to think that the constitution was deliberately drafted in such a way as to ensure that anyone with half a brain would reject it and abandon the idea. As things are the Doctor is separating out the people who believe in democracy, equality, freedom of speech etc. As a result he will have a database/citizenry of people who will do only as the king says, who will "accept their lot" as serfs and who will not raise objections to anything. With this in mind I suggest that those of us who reject the constitution stick around in order to continue to point out that the king has no clothes.

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 15:44 UTC

... and also perhaps to share a joke at those who would be willing to accept such a status quo. "If you don't like it push off..." nah, think I'll stay

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 16:01 UTC

I have no intentions on poking fun at anyone. 

If they want to be sheep then that is their right and I will not judge them for that. If they would rather have someone else do their thinking for them, that only demonstrates their own inability to do so for themselves which means it might be best for them to let someone else do their thinking for them. If they make this choice after reading everything and coming to the conclusion that they still want to be a part of it, more power to them.

I just know I can't agree to it myself, and I will ask questions about things I find that do not make sense to me.

ARK

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 16:35 UTC

perhaps you're right that those who are unable or unwilling to think for themselves should nominate someone to think for them. I find the whole thing funny though, a guy shows up and says "I'm the king!" and a bunch of people say ""Hail to the king!" and then start discussing what form the military should take and what types of whiz-bang weapons they're going to have. The people who advocate for things like freedom of speech or democracy are branded trouble-makers by those who hope to kiss enough arse to get a bit of power for themselves. Meanwhile big brother remains aloof from the whole thing, saying only that things might change in the future but for now just do what he says. I'm just finding the whole thing hilarious, when stuff like this happens in the real world it's too serious to be funny, when it happens in a situation like this I think it's ripe for poking fun at.

Last edited by:  Tom Blanchfield (Asgardian)  on Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 17:09 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jun 23, 17 / Leo 06, 01 04:01 UTC

@Tom Blanch(Asgardian) on 21 June 2017, 4:35 p.m.

perhaps you're right that those who are unable or unwilling to think for themselves should nominate someone to think for them. I find the whole thing funny though, a guy shows up and says "I'm the king!" and a bunch of people say ""Hail to the king!" and then start discussing what form the military should take and what types of whiz-bang weapons they're going to have. The people who advocate for things like freedom of speech or democracy are branded trouble-makers by those who hope to kiss enough arse to get a bit of power for themselves. Meanwhile big brother remains aloof from the whole thing, saying only that things might change in the future but for now just do what he says. I'm just finding the whole thing hilarious, when stuff like this happens in the real world it's too serious to be funny, when it happens in a situation like this I think it's ripe for poking fun at.

Let the poking begin??

Jun 23, 17 / Leo 06, 01 04:05 UTC

@Phicksur(Asgardian) on 20 June 2017, 3:17 p.m.

Linkin Park

You told me yes you held me high and I believed when you told that lie
I played soldier, you played king and struck me down, when I kissed that ring
You lost that right, to hold that crown I built you up, but you let me down
So when you fall, I'll take my turn and fan the flames as your blazes burn

I'm loving this song! Since you mentioned it, I have bought that album and have this song "Burn It Down" on repeat.