Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 18:53 UTC

Re: Place (write down) the 10 most important DUTIES and LIABILITIES Asgardians MUST FOLLOW...  

I think you have the concept of a constitution backwards. It is not meant to enforce laws, it is meant to protect the people from unjust treatment!

Jan 14, 17 / Aqu 14, 01 03:11 UTC

The way I see it, is there's only one important "duty" or "liability" that any Asgardian should follow - and that's the betterment of self.

They have an obligation to themselves to be better than themselves. For there is no other measure with which you should compare. By steadily improving upon this, everything else should follow.

Jan 16, 17 / Aqu 16, 01 17:17 UTC

What a Constitution must clear out, as I see it, is the frame that fences the space laws can move according every different social situation. Sometimes laws must be adapted to match a changing reality. Internet or Asgardia themselves are pretty good examples how laws need to evolve to adapt to the changes that human non-conformist imagination generate.

To me, what really matter is that those ten points assure that laws provide justice, and equal treat to every single being. Only in a place where equality is the norm, justice will be the rule. That involves that no gender or spice categories can be used, and we all should be raised understanding it.

-1. Constant reach of social equality.

-2. Access to education. Understanding education as a self-improvement process, not necessarily what nowadays understand as education.

-3. All essential resources (energy, food, water, health care) will be property of all Asgardia nationals, and managed to provide to all of them equally.

-4. Right to a decent, adequate living space.

-5. Every Asgardian has the right to free speech, as far as it is done in a respectful way without harm of any being.

-6. Asgardians will promote respect between minorities. Since every being is different to each other, which means every being is a minority.

-7. Knowledge and social development are a common wealth and understood as the major factor of growth.

-8. Every being is right to praise any god they believe in, if they do so. But they must respect other beliefs.

-9. Any being privacy and preferences must be respected and never violated.

-10. Asgardia efforts must be always directed to give beings the chance to fulfil their personal growth.

-11. Anyone who embraces Asgardia's principles can be Asgardian, no matter where they come from.

I've used beings, I don't know if correctly, because as an open minded and a pro-science society we could contemplate the fact that other forms of life can be found and there's a chance they would like to become Asgardians.

For the same reason I believe that gender labels must be removed. If we believe we are all people, and we are all equal, gender tags are not reasonable.

Some points might be a bit open because I believe that there must be a very thoughtful design of the educational/self-improving system. This is, to me, the key to bring grown ups who care about being happy self-improving and challenging themselves just for the sake of beating their own limits and nothing else.

Well, that was a quick thought on it. Probably, the best way to do it is with people, debating and challenging arguments to either discard them or to make them stronger.

Last edited by:  Ruben Huguet Marsillach (Asgardian)  on Jan 16, 17 / Aqu 16, 01 17:23 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Jan 18, 17 / Aqu 18, 01 19:21 UTC

Well said Ruben,

Along with your suggestion for the right to education as a way to improve one's own understanding and betterment, I would tie that into EyeR's point about bettering one's self as a primary goal of any sentient being.

To the same end, each sentient being should attempt to aid in the betterment of any and all other beings that they come into contact with. The reason being, if others are empowered and we collectively move forward, the good of the entire community is improved, thus helping one's self further their own self-understanding and power.

Jan 18, 17 / Aqu 18, 01 21:07 UTC

Ladies and Gentlemen,

First and foremost a constitution should not be a social agenda. It must be mailable enough to last multiple generations and not impact the flavor of one generation. Thus it is the reason the constitution MUST be chains to limit the power of government and political motivations. A majority rule without the protections of individual rights leads to tyranny and oppression. Example: If a policy is created to have your way with women every 3rd Friday of the month, and the women must consent based on "Democracy" (Majority rule). Then there is nothing protecting the women of that civilization from such grotesque tyranny. Individual rights like a citizens Bill of Rights should be created prior to any constitution. Then for a more harmonious populace, build a constitution around the citizens Bill of Rights.

A constitution should be rules for government, not for people. Legislation will be created for people, through the government by consent of the people. If you truly want a free and equal society. Otherwise you will be oppressing people based on what a group of individuals deem as right. I may think homosexuality is wrong, does that give the majority a right to outlaw homosexuality? Without a citizens Bill of Rights, and being a pure democracy is an ignorant form of governance, with only a constitution as a guide.

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 11:07 UTC

Looking at constitutions from different countries I've noticed that the most individual-protective ones are quite short. In fact, the more equal is the country, the shorter is its constitution. There might be some exceptions, but after checking several of them and reading a few articles about the topic, that's what I found.

The constitutions of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland (considered some of the most equal countries in the world) move around 100 articles. Whereas poorer countries have longer constitutions.

There is also a relation between equality and complexity of the articles. The more equal the country is the plainer and easier to understand their constitutions are. And the poorer the country, the more intrincated the articles and their interpretations are.

So, maybe 10 points is a bit too short, but more than 100/120 articles means whoever is building up this constitution have many conflicts in their interests. It means not all of them paddle in the same direction, but only debating, and searching for common places we'll have a society that drives to the bettering of everyone.

I would also like to underline, remark, highlight that the base of an equal society starts with education and learning. Education at home, learning at learning centres. I don't want to use school. Schools have a very "industrial" connotation in our minds nowadays. And the industrial revolution is reaching its end and that needs to be rethought.

And I would like to thank to the ones who have said they liked my contribution, but also to the ones who disagree and express themselves in a polite and constructive way. Only debating we'll get to the best constitution possible. It'll never be perfect, and we probably must put in there an article that allows people change the constitution if we all agree it needs to be changed.

Last edited by:  Ruben Huguet Marsillach (Asgardian)  on Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 11:10 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 19:04 UTC

My ideas, probably not comprehensive but somewhere to start from.

The following rights and responsibilities are vested in every Asgardian:

1. Right to life - every Asgardian and every sentient being within the realms of Asgardia regardless of origin has the right to exist.

2. Right of self determination - every Asgardian above the age of majority has the right to decide the context in which they will lead their lives, provided it does not infringe on any other right or obligation stated herein.

3. Right and obligation of knowledge - every Asgardian has the right of and the duty to a comprehensive science-based education, necessary for the well being of Asgardian society. The government of Asgardia shall provide each citizen with the tools and facilities necessary to this end.

4. Right to safety and protection - every Asgardian has the right to a safe and livable habitat necessary to all the other rights herein. The government of Asgardia shall provide each citizen with the means necessary to this end. The government of Asgardia shall provide for the common protection and defence of all citizens from any hostile or injurious act or threats both external and internal. The government of Asgardia shall ensure the adequate care of Asgardian citizens by foreign governments or entities, hostile or not.

5. Right and obligation to the commons - every Asgardian has the rights to, and duty to protect, the commons, being necessary for the survival of Asgardia and Asgardians, and shall not be denied access to nor use of any element, gas, liquid, organic or inorganic material, shelter, or nutrition necessary to adhere to the right to life, nor shall Asgardia deny any Asgardian common ownership thereof.

6. Right to governmental representation - every Asgardian above the age of majority shall have the right to be represented in the government of Asgardia, regardless of where in the universe they may reside. Every Asgardian shall have the right to peacefully petition the Asgardian government to redress grievances, individually or as a collective.

7. Right to health care and euthanasia - The government of Asgardia shall ensure that the health of every Asgardian is maintained to a high standard necessary to the functioning of a healthy society. Health care services shall not be denied to any Asgardian for any reason. Any Asgardian citizen above the age of majority may, either directly or through a pre-authorized process, request euthanasia services for themselves. The government of Asgardia shall have the ability to provide this care through direct taxation.

8. Right to presumption of innocence and representation by counsel - every Asgardian citizen shall, upon accusation of criminal acts, be presumed innocent until found guilty by a jury of no less than twelve of his Asgardian peers, the right to appeal conviction to a higher court or body shall not be infringed. The government of Asgardia shall ensure fair representation of the accused by competent counsel. No Asgardian shall be compelled to give testimony which might incriminate themselves.

9. Right to privacy - every Asgardian citizen shall have the right to be free of interference or intrusion by government into their personal communications and data. The government shall not interfere or intrude into the personal living space of any citizen without sufficient evidence of the immediate need to maintain safety and life within Asgardia to cause a warrant to be issued by a competent court. The government of Asgardia shall not establish any court or legal body capable of issuing warrants or legal determinations that is not completely transparent and available to all Asgardians.

10. Right of Equality - every Asgardian citizen shall be deemed to have and hold equal rights of and obligations to Asgardia, and shall uphold and defend these rights for all Asgardians, anywhere they may exist, nor may the government of Asgardia deny such. No Asgardian shall be relieved from these rights and obligations until such time as they voluntarily renounce Asgardian citizenship and forfeit all rights and obligations resulting therefrom.

Thoughts and criticism are welcome :)

Last edited by:  Randell Annunziato (Asgardian)  on Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 19:07 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times
Reason: edited for formatting

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 20:25 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:03 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Mar 28, 17 / Tau 03, 01 03:54 UTC

Duties should not be forced upon the people by a constitution; this is tyrannical. Constitutions do not grant rights; humans are born with those rights and the constitution simply must limit government from infringing on those rights.

Think about it. If a piece of paper can give you rights, a piece of paper can take them away. And that's unacceptable.

I agree very much with Ruben Huguet. Especially this part:

"-1. Constant reach of social equality.

-2. Access to education. Understanding education as a self-improvement process, not necessarily what nowadays understand as education.

-3. All essential resources (energy, food, water, health care) will be property of all Asgardia nationals, and managed to provide to all of them equally.

-4. Right to a decent, adequate living space.

-5. Every Asgardian has the right to free speech, as far as it is done in a respectful way without harm of any being.

-6. Asgardians will promote respect between minorities. Since every being is different to each other, which means every being is a minority.

-7. Knowledge and social development are a common wealth and understood as the major factor of growth.

-8. Every being is right to praise any god they believe in, if they do so. But they must respect other beliefs.

-9. Any being privacy and preferences must be respected and never violated.

-10. Asgardia efforts must be always directed to give beings the chance to fulfil their personal growth.

-11. Anyone who embraces Asgardia's principles can be Asgardian, no matter where they come from."

Totally agree with everything he said here.

Jun 11, 17 / Can 22, 01 02:30 UTC

@Leonardo Completely agree. A lot is being tossed aside here in the interest of expedience.