Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 23:12 UTC
Thoughts on the Constitution ¶
I just applied to be an Asgardian today. I want to support a possible better solution to a lot of the struggles happening on Earth and Asgardia seems to be trying to address those issues.
I just sat down and read through the constitution and I already see a lot of things that I believe should be addressed.
1) First thing I noticed is that the preamble doesn't say irrespective of sexuality and I think it should. If we're shooting for equality here, then we need to make sure that all of the bases get covered right off the bat.
2) I'm from the US and one of the biggest issues that I see with the political process right now is that most of the people being elected into office are older. This causes a major disconnect with the younger generations, which means that the younger people don't feel that they are being heard or listened to and in response don't want to be a part of the political process. If we're trying to start a new nation that is based on equality, then I think that there should be room for younger people in the political realm. I'm not saying that I want 15 year olds running for office, but I don't think it would hurt to allow the starting age for any position to be around 28-30. If people 18 - low 20s can start voting, then people in their upper 20s should be allowed to run for and possibly hold positions too.
With that in mind, I think that the political positions (head, parliament, ministers, justices, council, etc.) should have some loosely defined requirements and a "job description" so that the people running for a position know what the job will entail and what will be expected of them.
3) I don't think it is wise to allow parliament to hold office for an unlimited number of years. I think 5 years is a great term cap for all political positions. This way even if someone gets elected and doesn't live up to expectations, or is elected by a slim margin, there is no possible way that that person will ever be able to just coast along messing things up for 20-30 years. I personally feel that there are less ways to rig a political system and the system will be more stable and catering to everyone when the people in the system are rotated out every few years.
4) I feel like 80 is a very high age cap for people holding political office. If my 3rd point is addressed though, then I would see no issue with an 80 year old holding office. They'll be in and out in 5 years-- no harm done. If, on the other hand, people are getting into office at 50 and have the potential to be able to stay until they're 80, that poses a much bigger issue.
5) The section about the monetary system (SOLAR) and everything that goes along with that needs to be expanded on. Maybe there just needs to be more information in circulation about how we are going to start up a new monetary system.
6) Why is Asgardia a "Kingdom"? Do we have a monarchy? That wasn't the impression that I got from the constitution, but if we do have a monarchy then that needs to be addressed better.
7) There are some areas in the constitution where the wording could be clearer and there are some typos that need to be addressed.