Law Enforcement

Sounds Fair??

Yes
64.3%
No
35.7%
Total votes: 14

Law Enforcement  

By: Isa Stanford(Asgardian) on 27 December 2016, 3:46 p.m.

I dont think you should give law enforcement to much power because even though there are people doing it for the good of others, there are people who will just abuse power as you can see from our past this has always been a major problem never paid attention to so I believe we should give the people the power to fight back against an officer in the wrong and when brought to court both or the person will have a lie detector test to see if the story is just. also we need a judge that goes by law but "common sense, justifiable or not, and fair" should go over law and we need a judge with no prejudice(mainly doesn't care about race, if your in the right your in the right if your wrong your wrong plain and simple)no more false sentences and false punishments for having the correct human reaction also we need to loosen the technicalities on self defense so people won't just be going to jail for protecting their life. the lie detector test is to see if the murder was from bad intention to kill or actually fearful self defense(depending if the fear was justified will come to account if come back truthful knowing some people are just really fearful) so even if it comes back the murder of a person(law enforcement to)was from "self defense" if the situation didnt call for the action or that amount of fear the person will be charged with "fearful self defense" which in result will lead to a sentence based fairly off the situation up to 5-10 years. If proven self defense they spend 1-3months in jail for taking a life, if proven a murder they spend 25-Life for the crime.

Re: Law Enforcement  

By: Kanok(Asgardian) on 29 December 2016, 11:03 p.m.

I feel we will need to start with appropriate education and training of the law enforcement body as a whole, the training should include the laws as it relates to the job they need to do,offensive and defensive training,appropriate gear and equipment, proper and effective checks and balances,a requirement to have training every year in order to maintain and upgrade any nessesary information or practices needed, a need for preventative measures using personnel and technology, a method to communicate and effect change through laws between lawmakers and law enforcement that would help both the community and the enforcement bodies ,also a commitment between all parties ( lawmakers,enforcement body and population) to foster a positive attitude. There is a lot that will be require from other agencies from social to administration that will affect how the population lives and how that will affect law enforcement.

By: Abdul(Asgardian) on 11 January 2017, 3:49 p.m.

I would be interested in becoming an officer of the Asgardian Law Enforcement Agency. If that is an option.

Plus I don't think a person that lawfully Defended themselves should ever go to prison.

By: CrimsonViking(Asgardian) on 13 January 2017, 4:38 a.m.

We should have a generic security force for both law enforcement and defense.

Yes they should have a decent amount of power because of the fact things are different on a space station. Think of it like a ship.

No they should not be walking judges and juries but will have to have power.

By: Paul Gibson(Asgardian) on 13 January 2017, 2:53 p.m.

Law enforcement by it's very definition should have authority else it is not really enforcement. Most of what you're trying to solve here is typically cured by education on both law enforcement agents and citizens. As someone who has spent a career overseeing courts and punishments for both civilians and law enforcement agents, I can assure that the overwhelming majority of cases that I was involved in tend to be handled appropriately. It is the small minority that are the most reported on and in many cases, the appropriate actions are usually taken to remove offending officers in the event that unsanctioned repetitious behavior occurs.

Education on both sides of the fence, including citizenry, is very important as I find most individuals to not know their legal rights as well as they claim. "I know my rights man," notwithstanding, many individuals are not aware of proper policing procedures or use of force tiers, or even further, what behavior is considered resistance for the safety of all involved.

This does not of course excuse officers who fail to follow such guidelines and in most successful departments, a two to four year education prerequisite is required and I fully believe that those educational barriers should exists along with successive OJT and CLE standards which are required of other legal professionals.

Without being inflammatory, I would also like to let you know that, at least in the United States, sentences are not staple because "common sense",specifically on the part of the adjudicator is already applied. Circumstances in extenuation and mitigation are utilized at every sentencing so that someone doesn't receive an unfair sentence. Unfair sentencing is what our current system has evolved from. Is it perfect, no, but no justice system can ever be perfectly fair to all parties since you cannot compare the suffering of one party to another or quantify the exact harm an individual does to society without also considering all the elements of the offense and the motives of the offender. Promising specific punishments for specific crimes is also illegal since you have basically established a predestined punishment without the consideration of matters.

Finally unless bio-metrics seriously improve, I would hope to never see them in an official capacity. There are reasons they do not allow them within the judicial system and it is because they are severely flawed. Though they can work, their success is limited and are alterable by a number of factors, sleep, diet, personality, etc. And are easily overcome by someone of reasonable intelligence. I have had four high level security clearances in my life and none of them utilized polygraph technology due to their inadequate accuracy. I have also personally demonstrated their inaccuracies in several entry-level criminal justice courses so in my opinion, they should not be implemented until they are improved upon.

Kanok is headed in the right direction with all-around education and legal/judiciary/citizenry association. The only thing I would add, at least in the beginning, is a mandatory part-time civilian oversight council, as those have been proven to greatly affect the overall success and approval of law enforcement activities.

By: DVK9(Asgardian) on 18 January 2017, 10:05 p.m.

What is being talked about is the rare bad apple. Yes in law enforcement there are bad apples just as there are in regular life. Being in a small area law enforcement would be more of a detain and a forensic team. A small detention area with a small force of police. I would say a taser would be all that is needed as where will they go? If every detention is followed up by a forensic team this would act as a deterrence against rogue police. With the proper training there should be no need for civilian oversite committees when you have elected officials that can do the same job thus reducing the work load on the civilians.