Nov 25, 17 / Sag 21, 01 12:15 UTC

Creating a new and unique culture (it would need to be done quickly as close to the birth of the society as possible.  

Hi, I'm new here so, I hope this hasn't been discussed a thousand times and I didn't see it reading through but I think one of the most interesting and important aspects of this community, is its culture.  There will be a short window to try to implement what we want in culture before it forms its habits and repetitive actions create culture on its own.  I'd rather not leave something so important to chance.  Something we can instill in the fabric of everyday transactions, communications, and any interaction. While we have the opportunity, we create our own culture.  One that rewards respectable behavior.  One that respects the Artist as much as the scientist.  For example (and this is an idea from a book about colonizing Mars called Green Mars) if two people are making a trade or a deal or any exchange of one thing for another, the person who gets the most respect is the one who comes out with a slight loss.  If this could become part of our culture, it would weed out the greedy people who always end up on top because they win deals (lots of times by screwing people over).  This would insert morality into business, which it is currently lacking.  The saying business people use that make things like greed, lying, and cheating ok is "Business is Business" or "Nothing Personal, Just Business."  I'd like to do away with that mentality and we have the opportunity to come up with ideas we all live by.  In this example, the people you want to do business are the ones who always lose by a small margin.  It shows that business is honorable.   This is just one example of a huge topic that I hope is being addressed and I hope when that what we decide to strive for in our Culture are things that honor the best of what humans are capable of.  Love, generosity, philosophy, honor, rewarding those who are most respected in our communities.  I'd like to see something new for religion in this new culture.  A respect for every individual believe and a belief that everybodies opinion, what they believe, is as true as theirs (relativity can prove that right? lol) Like I said, I'm new, this is the first day I've looked around and I'm still trying to figure everything out so...please let me know if this is something that's all been hashed out or if ....I have no idea what I'm doing maybe point me in the right direction lol?

Thanks for your time,

Rob Lonsdale (Rob 7 - can I change that?)

Nov 25, 17 / Sag 21, 01 19:51 UTC

Hi everyone ,

I think the culture of immorality and "business is business "is print very deep in human 's minds unfortunately , its very complex to change human's minds. I think Thomas Hobbes have right :  Homo homini lupus est  ( A man is a wolf to another man ). We can only observe our actual society and try to not reproduce the errors of this society  ,I think all humans have a wild part inside of them and only laws and controls can minimize greedy instincts and wild instincts I am sceptical about the idea : the criminal and wild behavior is cultural and we can change this behavior only with culture and education . It is sad but unfortunately true (according to me ,the different religions have failed to to introduce morality in all  man's behavior . )

About the asgardian culture: 

According to me everything  is cultural , if you want put forward sciences and thechnology , is it cultural  (this cultural fact mus be Recognized by a large part of agardian's community). you can put forward generosity and honest behavior  as cultural indentity for Asgardia , but I think a  juste a few people will follow strictly this principles. A main objective and a way of thinking can be cultural. We can find this way of thinking in Asgardian art (painting, sculpture, book, etc.).  I think the language is very important for linking people and creating a sense of community and belonging at Asgardia's nation. (maybe we can create a specific slang of english for Asgardia , with a gramatical structure )

Sorry for my poor english this is not my native langage

Last edited by:  thomas courbin (Asgardian)  on Dec 2, 17 / Cap 00, 01 08:15 UTC, Total number of edits: 5 times

Nov 30, 17 / Sag 26, 01 16:49 UTC

I think the culture isn't that simple and can't be artificial - it requires evolution on its own course. That being said...  you can try to inspire people and put some good foundations first, in  whichever way you can. Im my opinion, it is actually what Asgardia needs  if we're serious about it because otherwise... it can fall victim to  integral struggles... The good thing about Asgardia is that it consists  of people from across the globe (if they applied & accepted the  constitution - they're probably open-minded and wish to change  something). Hence there is chance for novel solution and mutual respect  between Asgardians. Only without something common (other than nation for  the sake of nation), all those people can be easly distracted by their  local identities, traditions and values, meaning there will be no  "Asgardia" anymore (in practice). 

I think it can't be done quickly but it certainly can be done and must be done (if  we're to succeed). In fact, this is where the huge part of our focus  should be at first. Like forget going to space to mine minerals... we  haven't even got there yet (technologically and financially). And we are  not going to get there if we repeat the same old mistakes proven  pointless/inefficient time and time again by human history. Actually, my  election slogan: We need to avoid problems of the past - Asgardia as a place of efficient growthReally what we need to achieve and I wish we can.

if  two people are making a trade or a deal or any exchange of one thing   for another, the person who gets the most respect is the one who comes   out with a slight loss.

This would be pretty  counter-productive - if you mean (basically) decreasing business  efficiency by applying some artificial rules and values that "everyone  must obey." It is possible, however, to apply that sort of "respect."  Only not loss. More like if you make sacrifices and risks for the  community, even in business, then that's honorable. Only seen in new  context, like cultural art-science of Asgardia, driven by more  open-minded, culturally diverse folks. If supported by some kind of  Asgardian philosophy (very important cultural unificator imo), this  would be unlike what we have elsewhere ("fake business-oriented public  image" campaigns, mostly, or at best strictly religious/political  initiatives).

I'd like to see something new for religion in this new culture.

Yes...  something more akin to philosophy/values, something that does not  interfere with everyone's personal heritage (and religion, if they're  believers) but that actually bonds everyone together, in a unique way.

Dec 1, 17 / Sag 27, 01 11:45 UTC

greetings all ,

this is my response :

I think the culture  isn't that simple and can't be artificial - it  requires evolution on  its own course. That being said...  you can try to  inspire people and  put some good foundations first, in  whichever way  you can. Im my  opinion, it is actually what Asgardia needs  if we're  serious about it  because otherwise... it can fall victim to  integral  struggles... The  good thing about Asgardia is that it consists  of  people from across  the globe (if they applied & accepted the   constitution -  they're probably open-minded and wish to change   something). Hence  there is chance for novel solution and mutual respect   between  Asgardians. Only without something common (other than nation  for  the  sake of nation), all those people can be easly distracted by  their   local identities, traditions and values, meaning there will be no    "Asgardia" anymore (in practice). 

According  to me the culture can be created ex nihilo (I don't know the term in  english ) if it can be favorited by some aspects by a policy of state  and introduction of new ideas  (typically Asgardians ) but this culture must be visible and  shared by all asgardians.
I am agreed with you and I take very  seriously this project of asgardia's culture I think it's a essential  step to create a solid fondation betwen all asgardians. according to me a  nation's project without a solid culture is a empty shell )  and I am  agreed with you : Only without something common (other than nation for   the sake of  nation), all those people can be easly distracted by their   local  identities

I  think it can't be done quickly but it certainly can be done and must be  done (if   we're to succeed). In fact, this is where the huge part of  our focus   should be at first. Like forget going to space to mine  minerals... we   haven't even got there yet (technologically and  financially). And we  are  not going to get there if we repeat the same  old mistakes proven   pointless/inefficient time and time again by human  history. Actually,  my  election slogan: We need to avoid problems of  the past - Asgardia as a place of efficient growth. Really what we need  to achieve and I wish we can.

Yeah but  It will take long time but its essential  to create culture now beacause it wil be more easy to to gather all the Asgardian around a big project of colonization of the space . we cannot achieve this without a strong feeling of community and identity . And what do you mean by problems of the past ?

This  would be pretty  counter-productive - if you mean (basically)   decreasing business  efficiency by applying some artificial rules and   values that "everyone  must obey." It is possible, however, to apply   that sort of "respect."  Only not loss. More like if you make  sacrifices  and risks for the  community, even in business, then that's  honorable.  Only seen in new  context, like cultural art-science of  Asgardia, driven  by more  open-minded, culturally diverse folks. If  supported by some  kind of  Asgardian philosophy (very important  cultural unificator imo),  this  would be unlike what we have elsewhere  ("fake business-oriented  public  image" campaigns, mostly, or at best  strictly  religious/political  initiatives).

I  want regularize the business only for protect community from banksters  because I don't want have to managed with all powerful bankers ,traders  and frauds like in United States ( remember who is responsible of the  economic  crisis of 2008) I will be a little cynical  but respect is not   profitable for bankers and  no one make sacrifices and  take a risk  for commuity  in buisness , they take  risk and make sacrifice to become  more riche and powerfull. About philosphy  someone have developed  a  very interesting  Asgardian philosophy  but I cannot use this philosophy  without his autorization .  This  philosophy is compatible with others  cultures and religions of the earth 

Sorry for my poor english this is not my native language

Last edited by:  thomas courbin (Asgardian)  on Dec 1, 17 / Sag 27, 01 14:48 UTC, Total number of edits: 5 times
Reason: MSA

Dec 2, 17 / Cap 00, 01 21:08 UTC

Accordingto me the culture can be created ex nihilo (I don't know the term in  english ) if it can be favorited by some aspects by a policy of state  and introduction of new ideas  (typically Asgardians ) but this culture must be visible and  shared by all asgardians.

Yes, it’s hard work but can be done, I agree!

And what do you mean by problems of the past ?

I mean the problems that hunt humanity for centuries but nobody seems to be doing enough. Like, look at the nations and where we are now... look what is happening in United States and Europe… when one looks more carefully, one sees so much tribalism and irresponsible decisions… from all sides, including the progressive side that stands for tolerance… which in turn only dissatisfies many citizens and reinforces extreme views and more of tribalism. Nation for nation, faith for faith, everyone is about their identity but it doesn’t really matter that much in this age and enlightened era we live in (also global world). Some very old problems but since power stands in the center of everything, nobody tries to inspire people to leave them behindAnd reinforcement of national tribalism only serves more politicians to get more power. I think Asgardia should be different, hence why important to think of culture and unity.

I know what you mean. Some strict rules may be beneficial. But important to know the limit since too much and you’ll end up with a nation that isn’t good for any business.

About philosphysomeone have developed  a  very interesting  Asgardian philosophy  but I cannot use this philosophy  without his autorization .  Thisphilosophy is compatible with otherscultures and religions of the earth

Oh, interesting. Tell me more. Is this already an Asgardian project? Or do you mean author outside Asgardia?

What’s their name?

Dec 4, 17 / Cap 02, 01 00:44 UTC

I  mean the problems that hunt humanity for centuries but nobody seems to  be doing enough. Like, look at the nations and where we are now... look  what is happening in United States and Europe… when one looks more  carefully, one sees so much tribalism and irresponsible decisions… from  all sides, including the progressive side that stands for tolerance…  which in turn only dissatisfies many citizens and reinforces extreme  views and more of tribalism. Nation for nation, faith for faith,  everyone is about their identity but it doesn’t really matter that much  in this age and enlightened era we live in (also global world). Some  very old problems but since power stands in the center of everything,  nobody tries to inspire people to leave them behindAnd reinforcement of national tribalism only  serves more politicians to get more power. I think Asgardia should be  different, hence why important to think of culture and unity.

I am aware of this problems but I have no real solutions (unfortunately ) I know that sometime (i don't know if my expression is correct)  the candidate who shout stronger is the candidate who become the president of a country considered as the most developed and richest  in the world . Maybe  in case  of the kingdom of Asgardia , the  asgardian culture can  be used as moderator . In the agardian  culture we can introduce rationality , favorize a quiet and argumented  debate in any circomstance and minimize  expression of hate  and the reject of other as main values (But  I am sepctical about results of this method maybe beacause  I am  too pessimist  about humanity )

I  know what you mean. Some strict rules may be beneficial. But important  to know the limit since too much and you’ll end up with a nation that  isn’t good for any business 

I understand Maybe we need to have a commission with a total transparency (with no conflict of interest for exemple no former CEO of big group or buisnessman as member )  this comission will be composed by experts in many domain of financial sector and help the members of asgardian governement and members of parliament  to decide if some laws and decisions are favorable to the all people of Asgardia  ( no exception)

Oh, interesting. Tell me more. Is this already an Asgardian project? Or do you mean author outside Asgardia? What’s their name?

It is a Agardian  project by a Asgardian citizen , I cannot copy his work here but I can  put a link to his blog :

https://asgardia.space/en/user/55512/profile/view/

Last edited by:  thomas courbin (Asgardian)  on Dec 4, 17 / Cap 02, 01 00:52 UTC, Total number of edits: 4 times

Dec 5, 17 / Cap 03, 01 20:30 UTC

Yes, there might be many solutions we may apply, if eager minds put their work to it.

(But  I am sepctical about results of this method maybe beacause  I am  too pessimist  about humanity )

Yes, this is a problem and proven time and time again: humanity seems to fail. But I would like to think of it as "we are not yet there" situation - because maybe we can change the paradigm and nurture new cultural seeds. Like now, in Asgardia.

I read his "model" but it doesn't look that specified. More like an outline of what "core" values should be and arguing about putting together the obvious (aren't we always struggling about equality, rational approach, respect for nature and general balance in human life? but how does that work for us?). It is clear WHAT we need. It was always clear, whether Asgardia or not. I think Asgardia would need to find a way to actually encouradge it - by more direct means and creative approach that corresponds with people. I hear Asgardia will have (already has?) a radio and is going to have a TV station. Maybe creative approach can be utilized then, since the begining. Hmm, perhaps what we need is a story. A good story and everyone needs a story: people, nations, communities. Values and philosophies are only as good as can they be portrayed through other flexible means (outside constitution and hardcoded rules).