Mar 23, 17 / Ari 26, 01 16:44 UTC

Human evolution beyond belief  

People throughout history have created suffering through beliefs in ideologies, politics and philosophies. These belief-systems, when stated as propositions, may have the potential of creating more social problems than they solve and the dangers from them could possibly threaten the future of humankind. Does rational thinking require the adherence to beliefs at all? Does life require any attachment to a belief of any kind? Can we act upon data, theories, and facts without resorting to the ownership of belief?

Mar 23, 17 / Ari 26, 01 18:49 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 18:49 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 17:44 UTC

Without formal belief systems like Catholicism, Rationalism, and Pluralism? Sure. I know several people like that. They just don't have an interest in such things. They aren't boring when they are talking about things that do interest them.

Without beliefs at all? That's sort of like asking if people can write without recording something. It's a belief of everyone reading this post that someone wrote this post. It's a belief of the people who meet me, and of myself, that I am person or at the very least exist in some sense. Even pre-linguistic children appear to have beliefs.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 17:57 UTC

Pfft, you are blaming religion for things of which it is not capable.

Religion didn't do any of the suffering, it was morons who used the trappings of religion to justify their anti-social behavior, which stemmed from an inequitable amount of resource allocation.

Agnostic Unitarian here. I really dislike any organized religion, but I also won't see them being blamed for the actions of idiots ignorantly doing things in their name. Just because I think all religions are stupid doesn't mean I don't think others shouldn't believe in them. Some people need faith, and they should be allowed to have it.