Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 13:53 UTC

Video Games In Asgardia  

Although not everyone agrees on the state of video games as art, this seemed like the most relivent location to discuss this.

What do you think the role video games will have in Asgardia, from full games to gamification of tasks? Do you think that Asgardian life could shape games and provide new opportunities vs standard terrestrial games? Since everyone is so spread out on the planet, and many cultures have their own variations of standard physical sports, could e-sports become an Asgardian equivalent?

I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 08:06 UTC

hi everyone: my english is not very well,if someone wants discuss with japenese or chinese i`m also glad to see it. so here is my viewpoint:

1. A good video game should be educational,sometimes it can make us dive into another world and know something which we never attempt.it can improve our knowledge with someone's guide(gamemaker).there is only one thing shuold paying special attention to,how we know the guide`s viewpoint or knowledge is right for real world.
  2. sometimes,game will be a tool which can verify some scientific experiment with a little funny.it`ll be useful in many sterile experiments.maybe it can let some people make many legends by carelessly.

with these two point,i think video game should be a education tool,to share someone gamemaker`s knowledge or transmit some emotion.sometimes it will make people happy,but it not the most important social significance for human society.

Last edited by:  HENG YIN (Asgardian)  on Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 08:05 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: change the form

Feb 5, 17 / Pis 08, 01 23:26 UTC

it's a little biased for me to say this as a concept artist and a beginner programmer but Yes, I do think games are art. as they are food for your mind. giving you experiences, emotions and showing you places and shaking you up.

I can't recall the artist who defined art by saying "Art is a tool to make visible thinks that aren't". they were probably referring to political satire but i think it pretty much apply on everything i've seen myself and people around me doing when it comes to building games. we pour our poor little souls to simulate a safe environment where you can the experience feelings such as accomplishment, fear and joy. even the programmers make art by making their work so seamless you almost forgot you're inside a simulation. small things such as scrappy menu interface can ruin your authentic gaming experience, giving you additional stress to memorize where you find what you need, not to mention bad physics or camera controls, unless that's the whole point. (yes, Big Rigs and Skyrim i'm thinking about you again.)

as some people prefer like really macro nature photography and some for example classic renaissance oil paintings, games as well serve for different purposes. i enjoy the the ones that take me to far away places, giving me the solitude and feeling of being completely alone, especially with very little clues of what you have to do. as many others play games to meet their friends and compete, or fight for their lives in a zombie apocalypse because some of us just need that adrenaline rush. so all of genres are needed, all of them are art as equally as they serve their purpose on delivering you the right emotion you need on you current life situation. it's not about graphics, not about technology- it's all just psychology. when you find the theme that speaks for you, you will likely enjoy it even if it looks like it's made a century ago.

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 07:19 UTC

Honestly..Idamn instantly think of video games as art if you want a good example well I think I have two if you look at it from a emotional aspect and more of a concept of art is used within it. 

1. Simply put a game called the last of us. Mostly because of the emotions and how the story leads you into wanting to know more every sad moment wants to make you cry,overjoked when Ellie doesn't screw up,heck when u don't hear a clicker and it makes u poop urself.
  2. I don't know if this one caught on to alot of people but Ni No Kuni wrath of the white witch which hosted alot of original work from Mr. Hayao Miyazaki.

I could go on but to be honest I don't think this debate is meaningful at the presnt moment

Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 22:35 UTC

I think some games could be useful for training, for an example pilots to fly spacecrafts around the solarsystem. The technology is getting so advanced now that we will have for an example VR games that could be useful. We probably have by then games that are even far more advanced than Star Citizen for an example.

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 09:04 UTC

In my opinion Video Games are the union between technology and art. In the short history (compared to human's) of videogames, them help to improve computer and computer help to improve our life.

The problem of motionless  is of course true but from  Wii to new VR technology until phone games as Ingress or Pokemon Go that oblige you to walk (if you want to play legit) the problem is no more big as before. 

If well done, video games can help to learn various argument and also languages. A video games in new Asgardian languages can help to spread it

Aug 17, 18 / Lib 05, 02 07:09 UTC

I made a concept art digital simulation alpha prototype with half-life showing a potential space station https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfuvYgCnoxY&