May 28, 17 / Can 08, 01 15:44 UTC

Taxes  

Please explain the tax system in detail!

The constitution is to ambiguous on what, where, how, when, and why Asgardian's will be paying taxes.

May 28, 17 / Can 08, 01 22:03 UTC

We are expecting this information to be clear before the final version of the constitution is released. Please stay tuned for further announcements. 

Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 22:27 UTC

Any updates?

Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 22:47 UTC

The current draft of the constitution says that the tax regulations will be developed by the government and will be then established as law.
So taxation is only possible once the parliament, government, etc. is formed.

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 00:54 UTC

In fairness, you do need to have a feel for what your tax base is before you can construct a tax system. You could ballpark something but that's risky too in setting false expectations.

So knowing your population resource makes sense before creating tax policy.

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 09:02 UTC

Can we have any further information about taxation? At least tell us we can "get out" of the system if we don't like it when it is made (even if you have to give up citizenship). 

We must have some form of certainty before accepting the constitution otherwise taxes could become a useless burden to people with scarce financial resources.

Last edited by:  Luca Dasic (Asgardian)  on Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 09:03 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 14:36 UTC

I think it is fair to explain the Taxation system before accept the constitution terms. Since the Constitution binds you to any taxation system, if this one is not well defined it could lead to bad situations.

Please give more information about this.

Best regards, Carlos.

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 15:01 UTC

How can someone in a country that doesn't exist, impose a tax burden on someone living in a separate country? How enforceable is that?

Updated  on Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 15:02 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 15:10 UTC

Given the laws as present, the only real 'enforcement' power that Asgardia has is the removal of citizenship.

KYF

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 15:26 UTC

@petrv
Which in practice means you have to vote yes for taxation which will be defined in the future...really fair option. This implicate how "fair" such taxation could be.

You read my mind, as usual. ;-)

@Phicksur
That's why I consider us "lucky" as, if we was in space, they'll may follow the "airlock way". ;-)

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 16:47 UTC

Elwe, really? Besides the fact that you are stating that Asgardian officials would be willing to murder someone for disagreeing with them, what you are proposing would be against multiple international laws.

There comes a point where your arguments go way too far to try to prove your point.

ZVH

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 17:31 UTC

@Jason Rainbow  I would like to think that you are right on that, and the tax are only on goods and services. But if we don't have more information it can be anything. 

If I have to pay already state taxes + federal, wouldn't be nice to pay also extra taxes for Asgardia? 

And what if the taxes are higher than you are expecting? Would you be willing to pay them?

I just want to be a good citizen and that's why I want to know what would be the taxation system, to manage expectations.

If the taxation system need to be decided, it should be removed from the constitution of Asgardia, and after it is well defined apply an amendment to the constitution voted by the people of Asgardia.

Last edited by:  Carlos Hernandez Gamboa (Asgardian)  on Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 17:38 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 18:01 UTC

@Jason Rainbow
Constitution can be amended, after adoption, obviously. ;-)
Isn't it the same way one will know how much taxes (s)he must pay after accepting to pay them? :-D

@Carlos.hgamboa
I suggest you to keep a verbatim copy of Jason's words (as the forum can be edited, later), so to show them to tax agents, when needed. ;-)

Last edited by:  Luca Coianiz (Asgardian)  on Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 18:04 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: 2nd part

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 21:38 UTC

@Elwe Thor Jason don't say that it will be in that way, he sugest that may be in that way. Therefore I cannot keep his word on that one.

There is a lot of danger on guessing about commitment, the constitution is pretty much a contract, so I will only accept it when all the terms are clear.

I suggest to have an amendment to the constitution to remove the taxes until this section is crystal clear.

I am not asking too much right?

Jun 17, 17 / Leo 00, 01 03:30 UTC

How can the country impose taxes on us when it is not giving us any real services(except for an id)?We already live in a separate country where tax burdens are there, If you impose a tax on us it will be unfair.Try to establish the stuff in space then think of taxing us, And I doubt if taxes are imposed how enforceable will it be.first give us some services otherwise you will never get your taxes.