Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:06 UTC

Creating a nationwide body of knowledge  

Afternoon Asgardia,

I'm developing a concept and would love to hear what you think. The concept I'm exploring is having a body knowledge that is accessible by all Asgardians.

By breaking the knowledge base into respective categories (Health, Science, Technology, Engineering,Finance, Spiritual) and then breaking down each category into 5 levels. 

Level 1: Introduction
Level 2: Beginner
Level 3: Intermediate
Level 4: Advanced
Level 5: Expert

I was thinking that all Asgardians have access to all knowledge, but that level 1 of each category be compulsory for all Asgardians.

Let me know what you think!! And don't forget to vote!

CLICK HERE FOR MY CANDIDATE PAGE

Jun 30, 17 / Leo 13, 01 02:09 UTC

My reply is relevant to both your topic and the MOOC topic that was recently closed - before I joined.

I wonder if there if there is any interest in a systems approach to preparing (MOOC) courses. That is generating them from subject matter ontologies. I was thinking in the context of schools, where the practice of studying the same subject year after year at successively analytically deeper or content expanded levels. And I envisaged nested sequences of subject ontologies being drivers for sequences of grade school courses.

At the time I Googled around to get some idea what online courses looked like; I found it quite depressing. I remember being particularly disappointed with what I found at the UoNottingham, here at UoCalgary, and many others. I expected better from such institutions. All their efforts came under the heading, MOOCs, so the term is now destroyed for me.

My academic background is Math, but I always worked in computing (mining, oil, banking, botany). I am now retired.

I am pretty sure that with well constructed UML(Unified Modelling Language) type models the depressing MOOCs above could be generated. Indeed I think the process could even accommodate points of view or focus. But it very much depends on the models being a lot more than simple word lists, that some authors call ontologies. Ontology is a much abused term on the net.

As I recall, the most developed area in generated course content is math (ALEKS). But I did notice that ontologies for various subjects are just beginning to appear on the net. So this is not a short term approach, but the payback is vast; maybe we need an Ontology equivalent of the Human Genome project. I also remember publication of a web-type (HTML-like) grammar/protocol for a universal knowledge network ! I think Berners-Lee (WWW/HTML inventor) was working on it

Now I’m studying games technology (just started), which includes the notion of gamification. I think game environments offer a strong possibility of getting away from the MOOCs.

Last edited by:  Peter Wilson (Asgardian)  on Jul 5, 17 / Leo 18, 01 22:00 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time