Should right be a subject

Total number of votes: 4

75% yes

25% no

Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 01:37 UTC

Rights should be a subject  

Hello everyone, 

I've notice a phenomemenon of schools teaching student about their duty, moral. What is allowed to do, what is not. But I haven't heard a lot of schools teaching student about their rights. We often heard that we should coorporate with police (I'm not saying we shouldn't), but they didn't tell student they have the right to remain silent. They tell student its their duty to vote, but they didn't tell them voting is a right. They have the choice to vote and the choice not to. My point here is, people should know their right granted by the constitution, Knowing the rights they have to protect themselves, and should know what they are capable to do within the constitution and the law.

Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 02:26 UTC

^Well, that subject depends on the jurisdiction where you live.  In some places, the police is a serious force, in others, they are consider nothing more than watchmen.  So it's hard to comment since I doubt those same systems will apply to Asgardia.

Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 03:11 UTC

@Yovy

I'm just using U.S. as an example, of course when it come to practice the rights that Asgardia constitution given to its citizen will be used. Still my point is, instead of just teaching the youngling about duty, we should taught them about their right as well. Since a lot of people now days is bounded by their duty, but they never realize what's their right. Police force is just an example of what the government can't force you to do since you have the right to remain silence. But if you don't know you have that right, you might just coorperate with them. 

Last edited by:  kenneth Chau (Asgardian)  on Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 03:18 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 04:09 UTC

@ Jason Rainbow

Hi Jason,

That's my point. A lot of people don't realize that voting is a right instead of a duty, sometimes they just vote to a random party cause it's a duty for them to vote. They did not do any background research of the party, they just go to the voting booth and put their stamp on a random guy cause they will feel guilty for not doing it. My point here is if people learn that voting is a right instead of duty, they will not feels like they're being force to vote. And they will not just go to vote cause they will feel a sense of guilt if they don't.

Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 04:51 UTC

Unless you live in a country where voting is compulsory... then you are stuck with a duty to vote for an idiot that is the lesser of all the idiots listed on the ballot paper.