Leo 06, 01 / Jun 23, 17 13:22 UTC
Asgardia - Space Station ¶
I'm an Engineer working in Aerospace for nearly 15 years now. I have been involved in many engineering projects over the years, but nothing as ambitious as building a Space Station. What goes into it? How much does it cost? Where do we get funding for this project? Many unanswered questions yet to be answered by the leadership.
It took nearly 15 years and many other years of Research and Development to build, launch and construct the International Space Station that at most can host 7 people. Asgadia was first proposed to house 100,000 - 500,000 people.
What we really need to think about in my opinion:
1. Project personnel - this would include Project Managers, Project Engineers, Engineers and technicians etc. etc. (how many do we need?)
2. Systems - life support, water, food, waste, decontamination, radiation shielding, energy systems, communications, thrusters etc. etc.
3. Who is going to build it? Will we build it here on earth to be launched into space? Will we begin construction of a moon base to use some natural resources from moon?
4. Protection - From Space Weather, space rocks - dust etc. radiation, space aliens etc.
5. I can volunteer some of my free time to help design some systems for the Space Station, but we need instruction from our leadership on what needs to be done.
Those are just a few of my thoughts on this subject. However, I want to know where the funding for this ambitious project is going to come from?
Engineering is 10% Work, 90% Documentation