Mar 28, 17 / Tau 03, 01 20:46 UTC

Asgardia Space Station plans  

During the year 2011 a very innovative space station project was unveiled. It could support 10000 inhabitants in an artificial gravity environement and could produce its own crops. The project was called Apogeios.

It was created by a french engineer and architect called Pierre Marx. It won the 2011 prize of the Jacques-Rougerie foundation and every science magazine talked about it. But then, it was forgotten because no government could support such an unrealizable idea. No one took the opportunity to study it further...

And things are starting to change as the first space nation is created: Asgardia.

I created this topic on the engineering forum because I know that there are other people who will take a serious look at this forgotten project. And dreamers like me who believe in the project's feasibility.

So for those who wanted to take a look at the station, I have found the project's website (unfortunately it is mostly written in french), but the space station schematics are very understandable.

http://www.planete-a-roulettes.net/APO/fr/plans.html

And if you would like to learn about the way the station works and what it would take to build it:

http://www.planete-a-roulettes.net/APO/fr/description.html

Last edited by:  Jason Rainbow (Global Admin, Global Mod, Asgardian)  on Mar 28, 17 / Tau 03, 01 20:48 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: Activation of links

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 08:05 UTC

My .fr isn't overly hot, but looking at the design, the three outer modules... They would require constant propulsion equal to the tensile force of the "cables" in order to remain "static". At that scale I don't see how you'll get 100,000 people on it, let alone with support equipment. Those radiator arrays don't look capable of dissipating about 19 gigawatt, for example.

The raditation shields look a little thin, and the MMOD strike resistance is minimal at best.

Updated  on Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 08:12 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Additional data

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 12:14 UTC

OMG, that is so much prettier, and far more complicated, than what I was putting together.

I also don't think it will work. Too many points of failure. A meteor hitting a cable will throw off the balance and then you'd have 100,000 people hurtling out of control, probably to their deaths. There are just too many places that a failure will result in massive amounts of death.

Also, this point:

Growth potential

It is possible to increase the capacity of city but it will be better to build a new city around and so on (before spreading further). The idea of ​​O'Neill was to create an archipelago Lagrange point where live hundreds of thousands or even millions of people. The cities would differentiate as on Earth with industrial specialties, cultural or leisure. Note that long distance transport would cost nothing and no energy or time.

At least MY plan has a way to grow cities without requiring them to be built whole and new from scratch.

Updated  on Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 12:15 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 12:36 UTC

Yeah, it's "pretty" - but the toroid I was personally thinking of isn't that ugmo, and the central "hole" would be about as wider than that entire facility - providing for a lot more internal capacity. Enough to build inside.

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 13:02 UTC

Yeah, Id have to agree with EyeR and Phicksur, that looks pretty but too many points of failure. Not that I have a better option, I am still puzzling out EyeRs orbital factory idea.

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 13:34 UTC

Hey, EyeR, we should get together and foment ideas.

I sense that, while we disagree politically and socially on many issues, we agree on technological and scientific ones. I also believe that if you can help me put some details into my ideas, that we could generate a viable station idea and plan.

Discord: Phicksur#1407
YouTube: Phicksur
Steam: Phicksur

Or, hell, just google "Phicksur". I seem to be the only one on the whole Internet. I am not hard to find.

Updated  on Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 13:34 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 21:34 UTC

Yeah... I'm not simple enough to use any of those communication methods. Especially the ones that prequisite enabling third party control. I have standards. Would there be any particular reason such could not generally be conducted here? I minimally feel it's something that any Asgardian should tangibly be granted equal opportunity for input.

I sense we would actually disagree on less than you would imagine. Although that which we disagree on is likely to be intensely contested.

I'm open to the concept, although I've generally been doing back of the beermat math and scaling existing systems/techniques/technologies. Sensibly, someone actually qualified and experienced in this domain should be conducting such. As a loose POC explaining this to someone else, I threw together: https://cloud.armed.me.uk/index.php/s/L1hFM4QVy1s1MWD there's very little effort gone into it, but it's loosely to scale. About 2km hole in the middle of the torus, about sixty meters wall to wall internal diameter. It's just basic shapes - but it could template for building around. And inside. Could lay in pipeworks in the inner and outer hulls(when it has them) and figure out roughly how many thousands of miles of pipe would be required. etc.

Ultimately, the best I can rig a senario to actually begin construction of component is roughly 2050 - by which time I suspect a lot of technologies to of advanced and or adjusted to completely different principles. From a design perspective, putting any significant effort into such before 2030 isn't likely to be incredibly productive as it's likely to be made obsolete before you've even started.

Updated  on Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 21:36 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: typo