Dec 26, 16 / Cap 25, 00 19:30 UTC

Moon base and industry  

Howdy,

I'd like to propose that the first objective should be a moonbase.

Seems to me like the logical starting point for a space civilisation. Close to the Homebase of Earth but out of the worst of the gravity well and with potential resources available.

It's critical for Asgardia to succeed to develop industry and en economy, what better way than mining in the moon and creating one of the first true spaceship yards there as well for long range deep space ship construction?

Thoughts?

Dec 26, 16 / Cap 25, 00 20:56 UTC

It's possible. Moon geology is rich in Silicon and Iron. but first, there must be collected samples to find viable deposits for gathering those resources.

Concrete could also be produced on the moon, for a subterran base.

Dec 26, 16 / Cap 25, 00 21:23 UTC

Agreed the moon is a great idea but we don't have the infrastructure to do anything at the moment

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 00:32 UTC

Hello guys, please keep in mind that temperature on the moon is (100 to 390 )K, while the pressure is almost 10^-15 bar. Its surface contains many substances such as methane; ammonia; carbon dioxide and others. It is an amazing challenge.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 02:52 UTC

I would like to add a new dimension to this topic, whilst digging around the web I came across something of high interest. The link is below and provides an enormous challenge for engineers in designing both colony and mining infraestructures on the moon.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/moon’s-lava-tubes-could-be-colossal

It appears below the moon's surface is laced with lava tubes maybe thousands of meters in diameter. No wonder there is so much interest in returning to the moon with manned missions.

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 19:14 UTC

VSEinstein, the link you share looks interesting but you must know that it's only theoretical; it means, first we have to know sure about the existence of lava tubes. If you read the publication which is referred of, the investigators calculate the hypothetical dimensions of the lava tubes based on models and the observation of the ESA and NASA probes . So, before start thinking on lunar-lava-tube-base, It's necessary to guarantee the existence of them, or better said, the existence of useful lava tubes.

Has anyone more information of related researches?

Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 15:36 UTC

Though Wikipedia is a correctable scource of information this link is interesting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunarlavatube

A 100 meter deep "pit" would offer an excelent starting point for further investigation and mining let's say. Due to the lesser gravity the construction of a large dome covered with moon rock enclosing the surface aperature would be possible and provide radiation protection.

Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 15:42 UTC

https://sservi.nasa.gov/articles/lava-tube-lunar-base/

This is another link also interesting..

Happy new year to all..

Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 15:53 UTC

Updated in recent months a list of possible lave tube locations:

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/25/scientists-may-have-spotted-buried-lava-tubes-on-the-moon/

I have come up with an interesting idea for a possible autonomos probe that might be usable to get a glimpse inside these pits. Soon I will post the idea with a couple of sketches open for improvements and constructive critisism.

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 23:32 UTC

I agree, that Space Yard, and delivering resources for it (from outside of Earth), should be main Asgardia priority. While actual base is currently out of the questions, we can already prepare theoretical, and even practical projects for robotics, 3D printers, raw resources processing, and transportation. I'm sure there is enough IT experts here, to even write an interactive simulation of such base.

Jan 3, 17 / Aqu 03, 01 00:45 UTC

Great question, in my opinion the moon would be a good place for the generation of energy from radioactive isotopes (nuclear power plants) also for the construction of robots used in space mining. regards.

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 11:04 UTC

I am more into focusing the industry part. Industrialization for survival is very essential for a space nation. And for the information, I strictly am against Military based industry as it would propel something that is already with in almost every nation on earth. Using approved standards, its is very important to build up industrial zones in order to reduce the dependency with other nations in the future.

Jan 27, 17 / Aqu 27, 01 18:10 UTC

It is sure. The gravity of the moon will provide unlimited opportinities for advances in hi-tech industry, nanotechnology, and the manufacturing processes of microelectronics and nano-scale integrated circuits in addition to nanorobotics industry with very high efficiency and optimal performance.

Nov 19, 17 / Sag 15, 01 20:02 UTC

The soil of the moon contain a large quantity of Helium 3 a very useful isotope of helium as combustible for nuclear fusion (maybe 100 000 ton )

The Moon is a good place for build and launch rocket with nuclear propulsion (beacause its faster for travel to Mars) and its less dangerous to launch this rocket from a Moonbase

I think moonbase is essential for a real space exploration

Last edited by:  thomas courbin (Asgardian)  on Nov 19, 17 / Sag 15, 01 21:17 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times