Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 04:55 UTC

Standards and Procedures  

Hello fellow Asgardian engineering enthusiasts!

Before we all start thinking about the projects we'd like/need to build, let's first establish some common ground.

Engineering today has a large volume of standards that guide/prescribe engineering practices. We will need to adopt or create our own to provide a framework we can all work to. I work day to day in an engineering company who specializes in Functional Safety for control system and see how standards can be used for better engineering practices.

I believe the EN/IEC/IEEE/ISO standards would provide good coverage for what we do, but would like to single out a few that I am aware of and welcome you all to do the same.

EN/IEC 61508 Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Safety-related Systems EN/IEC 62061 Safety of machinery: Functional safety of electrical, electronic and programmable electronic control systems ISO 17305 Safety of machinery IEEE 802

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 16:23 UTC

We should develop a strong heavy industry covering many axes (chemical, nuclear, spatial and other industries). So, as drclaw mentioned, adopting earth standards at the beginning is crucial, but, I think, we need to create our own standarts, as I believe we will face many new engineering challenges in our future.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 04:10 UTC

Hello everyone!

i think it´s easier to select an existing standard.

Develop a new one would take time and money; it´s just my opinion.

Have a nice day

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 20:12 UTC

Unless we have specific instances where the global standards are not helpful, creating our own will not produce any further advancement.

We will be needing something like Functional Safety to aid in development of the facilities that will support and operate around human life. If we build without regard to the risks of failing systems and dangerous machinery, people will die.

Functional Safety is not about wasting time, its a process that will identify the hazards and what can be reasonably done to safe guard against them.

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 15:30 UTC

Some things we'll have to consider: are we using zero gravity, "gravity fields" (not yet invented, like Star Trek & Star Wars), or artificial gravity (by means of rotation). Safety standards (for manufacturing or other requirements) will have to take this into account.

Also air and water recirculation/recycling standards will have to be much more stringent than on-the-ground (what I'll call OTG). I'm sure NASA (and other space agencies) have existing protocols in place regarding such things but when we expand the scope from about 5 scientists to thousands of colonists, then every day dynamics are going to change.

In short, while we can (and should) use as many pre-existing standards as possible, by necessity we will (at the very least should consider) creating new ones as required. That being said we'll need to have a framework in place which describes how to create and "publish" new standards.

Last edited by:  Paul Mak (Asgardian)  on Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 15:34 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time