Do you support this proposal?

Total number of votes: 56

69.6% Yes - Continue using the Gregorian Calendar as the official Asgardian calendar for the time being.

30.4% No - Let the leadership decide now about our calendar.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 15:30 UTC

Asgardian Calendar  

In his first address, (or at least its English translation) Dr. Ashurbeyli declared Dec 12, 2016 as "the first day of the Asgardian calendar". Does this just mean that that is the official day of our founding, or does it imply that we plan to have a non-Gregorian calendar?

I want to point out that we are going to begin on and around Earth. Until we have established ourselves on other planets, planetoids, or asteroids, we will have to conduct trade with Earth. (Even if we are energy-self-sufficient with a "closed" ecosystem, we will still lose some matter.)

Continued use of the Gregorian calendar will simplify interactions with the majority of Humanity, including the UN. The Gregorian calendar is marginally useful for some Earth-related astronomical events.

I propose that adoption of a non-Gregorian calendar be delayed until our administration is somewhere other than Earth or Earth-orbit. That while the primary administrative centers remain somehow Earthbound, we continue using the Gregorian calendar.

(Nothing in this proposal should be construed as prohibiting non-Earthbound Asgardians from adopting a local calendar and conducting local governance according to the local calendar. Thus a Mars or Mars-orbit colony should be free to use an appropriate Martian calendar. etc.)

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 15:49 UTC

We can still use the Gregorian for trade purpose for while, but starts to use our based on our nation birthdate as official. I think it will help to made a better identity for the asgardians and a creation of a common myth.

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 12:28 UTC

The Calendar System is no proposal. It's a fact of an unavoidable thing. Nothing to vote on.

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 15:37 UTC

Using a new calendar would be a real pain in the ass for many, many reasons. And it doesn't make any sense for now. We are not living on space, we are on Earth. Maybe in 10/20/50 years it will become something important, but I feel like it's not something to be done today.

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 17:30 UTC

I think of it as an investment on future events for things to not get too complicated. Yes we are on earth but it doesn't hurt to have another calendar and I don't think it will cause that many confusions. Just like how the US uses different measurement systems than the rest of the world and still, it doesn't cause confusions (You can convert it).

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 22:39 UTC

@ bryan.j.lunt

October 12, 2016 he did say as the day number one of new Asgardian calendar..

Last edited by:  Tomislava Lovakovic (Asgardian)  on Jan 15, 17 / Aqu 15, 01 01:20 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 15, 17 / Aqu 15, 01 00:52 UTC

October 12, 2016 he did say as the day number one of new Asgardian calendar..

Unfortunately, that's really not enough information, at all. That's just a starting point, no indication of it's construct - or relevance in implimenting. No indication of how that calendar treats things previous to it's own existence..

Updated  on Jan 15, 17 / Aqu 15, 01 01:00 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: typo

Mar 16, 17 / Ari 19, 01 15:18 UTC

ok https://asgardia.space/en/calendar/

Great Gregorian year segmented in 13 months of 28 days, looks cool... 28 * 13 = 364 and 1 new year day ... but the leap year every 4 years results in a year with 2 days without month

The unified time notation should be normalized to: year-month-day--hours-minutes-seconds<--fragments> like to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#long_Count

i think that is necesary a second parallel time count like mayan short count ---- this works fine to future and past for million years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#short_Count

Last edited by:  kseltar - (Asgardian)  on Mar 16, 17 / Ari 19, 01 15:39 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times

Mar 16, 17 / Ari 19, 01 23:49 UTC

The only two arguments I have heard for the adoption of this 28 day per month / 13 month calendar is that: 1. It sets us apart for earth nations, and; 2. It's "cool".

Neither are particularly compelling, especially when considering the very real potential downside of Asgardia being written off as a bunch of fringe nutters with tin foil hats and their own calendar - not exactly a strong position to then argue for admission to the UN.

From the posts I have seen on the forums on this issue, I have not seen a single science based argument for the adoption of this proposed calendar on any grounds. After all, one of the goals of Asgardia is to be a scientific base of knowledge in space. With that in mind, where is the evidence that this the proposed calendar is superior that the existing Gregorian calendar for trade, international relations, measurement, health, astronomy, politics, etc, etc, etc.

Now if a system was proposed to measure the passage of time by, say, using known pulsars calibrated against earth based atomic clocks, you could easily establish a scientific argument that this is more beneficial that a Gregorian calendar as it can also double as a galactic GPS and account for relativistic effects of space travel. That would also set us apart from earth nations, be "cool" and also be able to be directly related back to earth time no matter where in the solar system you are. However, as sound as a proposal as this may be, there is a second question - is it useful now? At this stage, I'd argue no. It may have novelty value at this point in time, but it is not overly useful to a terrestrial based nation in a world that already has a generally accepted method of measuring the passage of time.

My final word - let's focus energy and effort on things that matter now (for example, finalising the constitution).

Updated  on Mar 16, 17 / Ari 19, 01 23:50 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 18, 17 / Ari 21, 01 04:30 UTC

only for common relarionship the gregorian is necesary but really any earthling calendar will be not exact... for the concept of "its need keep marked equinox spring winter etc" because it is not possible... along the time the translation and rotarion is variable on round numbers...

i think that for example swatch (clocks and watchs company) have a great goal in propose the swatch @beat time (1 day with 1000 pulses of 1.26 min) because we need to go out the traditional time concepts...

in france illustrated and revolutionary the people play for first time with many types of time systems. there play the same that decree 2 says... ans the frugal calendar as standard to the post imperial year

i repeat i fhink that neet use mayan short count and other like gregorian temporally

Jul 20, 17 / Vir 05, 01 04:35 UTC

Asgardia is going to need a new calender for several reasons. 1. No seasons in space or on a space station, we could simulate them to some extent, but we wont need a calender for that. 2. We will need to be able to coordinate missions with other colonies in our solar system, and this will make the gregorian calender impractical to say the least. 3. We wont need daylight savings time and leap years will become obsolete and this will help the space station to run much more effeciently giving slightly longer days and nights or slightly shorter I am not wholly sure which. It depends on a few factors. There are reasons to not use a gregorian calender, to develop and use a universally recognized intergalatic calender, something that is probably already being worked out by Elon Musk for example. Pretty sure Nasa may have worked one out as well, you can easily check and see if you like. At any rate, yeah using a normal solar calender sounds like a bad idea. It would be nice to have more efficient and accurate calenders here on Earth as well.

Dec 20, 17 / Cap 18, 01 17:12 UTC

Does anybody know if there are any specific details relating to the asguatdian calander, like twenty eight days finally I can remember how many days in a month easily, but is there a science or astronomical based reason for this? What are our holidays representing? October twelfth, 1,0001 asguardia calander was this day chosen specifically as its launch date for a reason or is it just random? 

Dec 20, 17 / Cap 18, 01 23:31 UTC

Hello Loudjo,

If you check out the information in the link below, you will have all your answers :)  

https://asgardia.space/assets/doc/Decree_N2.pdf

Jun 26, 18 / Leo 09, 02 22:36 UTC

I think that the Georgian Calendar is a mess, and, if we are going to create a new calendar, we should make it more accurate. Perhaps, by following the solar year exactly, so as to avoid leap years. But if we are in space and not on Earth, time measurement can get kind of tricky. The speed of light is the only relevant constant that I can think of at the moment. I just don't know how to incorporate it yet. 

Feb 18, 19 / Pis 21, 03 20:13 UTC

It's a natural cycle ...