Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 04:30 UTC

Feature - @Mention username  

Hi,

This is a quick thought. From a forum I was part of. Noticed they added a few features which helped the community members be in constant communication or have them interact a bit more. And it was by adding the @USERNAME mention feature.

If you where answering, and directing a message to another user you want to notify that you replied, you can @username, and that user would get a notification that they where mentioned on X post.

I don't know how well would a LIKE or HELP button would work. Where if you where to like an idea or deem it helpful you can vote it helpful or click on a like. For this type of forum, I don't know how well it may fit into. I know the Mentioning though would help a ton.

On the other forum for some time I was a moderator there, but since it was a review forum, I had to do constant research, and background checks on members to see if they where vendors or not lol.

Also emojis, I Wouldn't mind putting a thumbs up! :)

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 15:16 UTC

Once PMs are added directing posts at people could be done, and I agree. We recently enabled the use of @user and "user" on one of the forums I moderate and it is very handy (when it works).

A "LIKE" button is also a nice feature, but as this is a threaded forum it will not boost posts, only give a warm feeling as the author sees a notification. The number of likes is usually displayed, but in a forum, posts are transitory and disappear quickly, unlike the zombie click-bait posts of facebook, which float around for years as 50% of people repost and don't read.

As for emojis...... :-o get creative and learn ASCII art. It rocks \m/o.o\m/ Plain old emoticons are as much as is needed in a serious forum, plus specific extras useful for illustrating Asgardia related topics. Emojis can be genuinely useful, but in my experience people just like to use the ones they like to see and create pretty pictures (nothing wrong with that I know).

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 15:19 UTC

😬Emojis ?

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 19:58 UTC

Emoji has little to no practical use.

As does the "like" button, unlesss like facebook you're thinking the users are too simple to see what's happening and are additionally interested in tracking user metrics for profit, building psychological profiles of users, and measuring the effectiveness of your attempts at social engineering/manipulation.

Emoticons are possibly best left for 1:1 personal interactions, or lesser serious topics.

The @username function seems to have little purpose beyond ego stroking. If you're following a topic you'll see the replies. If you're not, you wasn't that interested anyway.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 20:15 UTC

EyeR

@user would make things more flaunt. I know I could be using it right now.

On top of this matter. Think about the reply feature that facebook uses. It would make posts look more clean then now.

Last edited by:  Anthony Foster (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 20:17 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:24 UTC

Tagging members is a huge help

Jan 6, 17 / Aqu 06, 01 19:57 UTC

interesting

Jan 6, 17 / Aqu 06, 01 22:09 UTC

"Tagging members is a huge help"

Help, for what? Precisely.

Updated  on Jan 6, 17 / Aqu 06, 01 22:11 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times
Reason: formatting fail

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 11:29 UTC

+1 for the reply and mention features. They're very basic and must-have features in every forum.

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 10:50 UTC

Agree with Korvin, this will improve asgardian communication a lot!

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 23:41 UTC

First, how would this improve communication, precisely?

Second, How would this be actually implimented? The original suggestion was for them to be "notified".... but no mention of how that was supposed to happen. Email? SMS? wave a flag? Strikes me such an ability would minimally generate a lot of unwarrented spam - and that's before people intentionally abuse it - If you were paying attention to the topic you'd see the reply anyway. If you're not paying attention then it's clearly of little interest - when 30x users in an active thread casually reference some previous statement you made you login to piles of tw@ messages, all pointing into the same thread - Which if you was interested in, you'd be reading anyway.