Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 20:28 UTC

Feature request: Collaboration tools  

We need collaboration tools.

By this I would mean "productivity" tools, like word processors, spreadsheets, art packages etc that "work multiplayer". As in, as I compose this post, several others could be assisting.

It would give an area for more than one person to work on the same document at the same time.

Something like embedding an iframe with etherpad light, or combining owncloud with libre office.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 20:42 UTC

@EyeR

This would help with post formatting. Not everyone can remember how to use the formatting codes.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 21:21 UTC

I'd imagine quite a few folks are not even aware they exist, which would add significant issues with recalling them.

If formatting is such an issue, then it's possible to add GUI toolbox that will allow users to single-click them in -=- But I was talking more about things that will actually do something practical.

For example, thirty people working on different sections of the constitution could get a draft copy out for peer review in about an hour. Assuming there is some consensus between that 30 of what it should actually contain.

There's no need for the @EyeR, btw, this isn't tw@r. Being the only poster in this thread thus far, it should be implicit the replies are to me.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 22:31 UTC

Lol I know.

But I was supporting the @user idea.

I think you are on to something. If you have used Google Doc. Then you know they have useful ways to help Collaboration work.

Doc users can leave comments. You can click them to confirm that they have been noted.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 02:51 UTC

I've not used google docs, no. Well, I used the spreadsheet once to script up an email bomb or 20.....

But I do use tools hosted by someone I can actually trust with my data - mostly me - and understand the value they can have in operations.

An owncloud/libre office combo wouldn't be as "feature rich" as screwgle docs, but it should have enough basic functionality to be of use. Right about now, tho, just a simple etherpad session would be incredibly productive in terms of multiuser collaboration. I have one running already, but would prefer to have one integrated rather than direct people to external services. Could probably have that wedged into an iframe somewhere... I'm sure there's 512MB o RAM spare on the server tho. Mostly a guess, but I'd expect it to ship with at least a few GB, and with the services I've noted running I'd expect it to of consumed about 350-550MB o that...

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 12:05 UTC

The current formatting scheme is away all standards. I strongly recommend to simplify the formatting scheme to Markdown with a full sanitization of Tags. We could allow to embed resources like GISTs, Repositories, Videos, Documents or other stuff.

At the other side, the current content processing of this forum is based on elementary paranoia without an idea of proper sanitization. HTML will be removed instead of sanitized and expressed as text. The current content processor does destroy the integrity of content, which is what has to be fixed before modifying anything else.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:58 UTC

+1 proper sanitisation.

I've also noticed "oddities" with the formatting. I'm sure this will become resolved over time, even if I have to do it myself.

This however wasn't the concern of my thread. Currently there's only options to type a statement -=- or a series of statements -=- and a response. Which is fine if you're writing a script for a film, or having general discussions. What is completely absent is tools within which multiple parties can work on the same document, at the same time. Such things will lead to more rapid progression.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 19:06 UTC

Well you can use Github to work together on one project. In-time parallel changes have strong side-effects. Git(hub) is the most efficient way. In case of film scripts, it would be a collection of markdown files stored in a repository. Nothing hard to understand. There are also APIs to embed such things into forums.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 19:28 UTC

Yeah I had this idea to use it also for our constitution. After all, the constitution will be the source code of Asgardia :)

I posted something in the constitution fb group almost 2 monthes ago, and the group leader Cha Fontana liked the idea.

Collaborative tools are the future !

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 19:31 UTC

Yes, but really you don't want the work on Github. you want to run git on Asgardian servers. There's much to be said for retaining control.

Git isn't really "multiplayer", either. Two people editing the same document at the same time simply results in two different versions of the same document. Incorrect merge sequences and remove edits done by one person by that of another.

I'm talking realtime collaboration. As I type, you see it.

I'm aware of the ease with which such things could be embedded, That's possibly why I'd started the thread suggesting such.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 19:42 UTC

The thing is, in-time concurrent changes have massive side-effects and no chance for rollbacks. There were concurrent git approaches in the past who died quickly, the costs are high, the benefits are low. Versioneering is the way to go, whenever people want to work together.

Updated  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 19:42 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 01:39 UTC

What "side effects" would these be, precisely. I've yet to occur any.

It's possible to incrementally save real-time collaboration, and roll back to an earlier incarnation.

Or mine does at least.

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 16:34 UTC

I agree that collaboration tools is important and essential thing. But, maybe, it is much better to create a separate site that will contain all instruments that will be needed for work? Because I don't think that concentration of all necessary instruments in forum is a good idea.

Using forum we can find people who wants to work together, after they can work on specific site.

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 18:34 UTC

Quite where it's actually located with regards to precise pages, domains, subdomains etc. isn't overly important in the grand scheme of things - it existing is enough - however, from that location it's possible to embed into other locations. Digital technology is great like that. This could ease and facilitate rapid and fluidic use. Things designed in a modular fashion are easy to snap together, and easy to maintain over time. That's not to say it should be instantly prominent at all locations, but from all locaitons be accessible.

I don't imagine this forum - at least in it's current incarnation - to survive the until the end of existence. It's just a starting point to begin collating ideas. From them a system will be built that will ultimately encompass all needs.

A central location that will provide a portal to all Asgardian services, with the services themselves highly integrated.

Jan 3, 17 / Aqu 03, 01 13:19 UTC

Mee too