Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 00:46 UTC

Forum Feature Suggestion: Ratings  

This was mentioned in a reply to another topic but I feel it should be brought up: Ratings, as in a +1/-1 would be very useful in finding relevant and current topics throughout the forum, perhaps this as well as a "Popular" section with the current highest rated or most positive rating within a time span.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 00:50 UTC

I like the idea, but I tend to avoid using a negative rating just because, in my opinion, it brings more negative aspects than positives to the forum environment. As for the positive rating, I'm totally in.

"Popular" could be defined by how many views/replies instead of ratings. For the ratings, I believe having a "Top Rated" would be preferable.

What do you think?

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 08:59 UTC

Problem:

This makes a promotional system.

A promotional system makes it so that the most upvoted post will be easier to access for anyone. The problem is that people may begin to write their posts for this purpose.

A solution could be:

1. There should NOT be any form for "total personal rating", to avoid people from writing their posts in certain ways to increase this number.

2. A "Filter by Rating" button should be easily visible, but should not be a default filter as you enter a new session on the forum. Meaning, whenever you log onto the forum, the order of the posts would be as it is, but you may use the button to filter by Rating.

3. No perks, emblems or titles should be given out, based on rating.

4. There might be more, anyone see any problems?

This system will ensure that relevant posts gets promoted and more accessible with no other consequences.

Last edited by:  Henrik Helle Vindenes (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 08:59 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 11:16 UTC

there is already an indication on what is popular by the number of views/replies on a particular subject example as of now in general discussion the top 5 read /posted replies are as follows

1 Language thread ........................................................721 views 38 replies

2 What would be Asgardias future language?............. 578 views 1 reply

3 Hello fellow and potentially future Asgardian citizens 189 views 19 replies

4 Asgardia Certificate. ...............................................139 views 7 replies

5 Why did you join Asgardia?.................................... 126 views 22 replies

Most views is indicative of general interest ..most replies infers topic of some contention./community input

edit..I dont know why it went bold and large..apologies in advance lol

At 1st i missed the upvote /like function to show agreement or apreciation of the content but now believe that it can do more harm than good and agree with HenrikHV "The problem is that people may begin to write their posts for this purpose." and worse get dissapointed if they do not get upvotes or agressive to those that do..On balance lets not.have ratings. If appreciation or strong support is felt we can private message or post a reply indicating that.

Last edited by:  Gary Baltao (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 11:22 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 20:31 UTC

A "ratings" system would only be of use if everyone else applying the rating holds the same values as you do. Elseways you end up with a bunch of essentially meaningless numbers.

A large number of people thinking something is clever doesn't mean that it is - look at how many 'tards use facebook.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 12:36 UTC

I'm totally agree with HenrikHV, we need a rating system for posts but not for users. I want to suggest to have the option to rate a post +1/-1 but the total rating of a post couldn't be less than 0. That way you can highlight the most supported/accurate posts in a topic and you can avoid some toxic behaviour of the people that just rate negative because yes.