Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 01:24 UTC

Frustrated with number of pointless posts on forum  

In the announcement of the forum opening on 20 December 2016, it was clearly stated that the forum was a "...place to come together, explore and discuss anything related to creating the world’s first Space Nation." It started off that way (with the obvious and understandable exceptions of the off topic and fun boards), and I have greatly enjoyed being part of discussions involving the possible future location and construction of a future Asgardia, issues surrounding militarisation and defence, zero-g adaptation, food production, and population control (to name a few). I have also followed many other discussions with great interest.

However, I have been seeing with increasing frequency a number of posts that appear have nothing to do with creating the world's first space nation and/or add nothing to the various discussions. This has been a source of some frustration with me everytime I click "view unread topics" and see the screen filled by garbage, generally generated by the same handful of posters. Apparently, judging by some other comments made on particular posts, I am not alone. From what I have seen, this seems to include at least part of the moderation team. You guys really have patience by the truckload!

I have tried to point this out to one of the serial posters in a manner I believed to be non-threatening and respectful. However, it seems that I may have been rebuked by the moderators for it. I am very mindful of the posting rules, but surely the broader purpose of the forum needs to observed as a priority by everyone who posts to the forum. I honestly don't see how posts about things like the time of day that philosophers should practice yoga, "wasting" gravity, the health benefits of breathing through your nose, using sci-fi movies as evidence as to how dangerous aliens are and politeness being the best ornament of humanity have anything to do with the world's first space nation.

I realise that the reflex response is "If you don't like it, then keep scrolling". However, that is something I do that on facebook every day - I know I will have to scroll past mountains of rubbish to get to the occasional nugget. I didn't expect to have to do it on a forum created for a singular purpose. I know there are a LOT of educated and enlightened minds participating in the forum and I'd hate to see them lose interest in this venture.

Is it just me? Am I over-reacting?

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 03:21 UTC

I have no issue with the introduction posts - I've made one myself in my regional board. I also fully understand the limitations of the forum in its current form and that there are plans for improvement. All I am saying is that some posters (and from what I can see, it is only a handful) seem to post for the sake of posting by starting threads with vague extraneous statements, not adding anything meaningful to discussions or posting thoughts that 10 year old would be embarrassed about.

I agreed to listen to other people's ideas with an open mind and respect... in relation to discussions related to creating the world’s first Space Nation, which I thought was the primary purpose of the forum. I will persist for now. I just hope that the educated and enlightened minds (which are truly serious about this venture) do not begin to lose faith on the basis of the actions of a few.

Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 10:19 UTC

Thank you Ann. You get what I mean.

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 22:05 UTC

The question is, what would you or what should we do against that?

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 22:12 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:40 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: "This user no longer wishes to be associated with a tin pot banana republic"

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 22:14 UTC

We warn, delete content (fb), close unrelated asgardia topics, warn, explain how it's supposed to work, warn, repeat the rules after each infraction and eventually ban someone who repeatedly ignores the rules. And do this for every people who doesn't respect the rules, in every platform. (fb, forum, ...)

It takes time and patience. And it frustrates people. But if we ban at first sight then it becomes a dictatorship.

Feb 9, 17 / Pis 12, 01 07:25 UTC

I share the same concerns.

Part of it is human nature. I assume a large majority of us have thought/dreamed/wished for an "Asgardia" for a long, long time; and have done a fair share of research into the ins and outs of this concept.

Unfortunately, many have likely not moved much further than having a love for science fiction, not the interest of reading pages of literature about all the possible technology, time, and energy required to achieve a goal so large.

I understand that could of been explained better, so feel free to elaborate on these thoughts.