Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 12:44 UTC

General Feedback  

Hello, i just want to provide some feedback for the actual state of the forums:

From the technical point of view:

This board is actually a 95% downgrade from Facebook Groups. it does only allow to publish content, it does not allow to search, alert, rate ( like / react on ) or ignore content. It does not allow to connect with, privately talk to and efficiently collaborate with people participating at this forums. Standard implementations of general purpose forums serve board groups, notifications, assisted moderation and the ability uniquely recognize members along their avatars. At least some standards violations are on "the wall" too.

From the UI point of view:

This board has some major UI flaws which makes it more difficult to read topics and channel ( sub-forum ) directories and to identify strict zones of control ( chains of UI elements in the page flow ). I recommend to generalize a UI among standards. The UI in general is out of sync to its environment ( the website ). The same counts to some UI elements of the web page in general ( Logout-Button, Forum-Button ). It takes more than just "bootstrap" a forum. There are also unimportant UI elements visible, that do not serve any purpose for regular board members.

From the directing point of view:

The board pretty much looks like "It's needed, we don't finish it, we just enable it." - Such things are worst practice. I am sure we can do that better.

Thank you.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 13:31 UTC

[Mod Post] Thanks for sharing. We are gathering a list of suggestions and ideas from this forum in order to see what options our users would like to see. This is just a basic forum in order to get things running for now. We will be making improvements according to the input on this board.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 13:40 UTC

Okay, please answer me this question: What was the reason for not implementing a search function in a board with hundreds of sub-forums that has the potential to hit the billion topics mark in the distant future ?

It's just worst practice to start this way. I am sorry.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 14:35 UTC

I strongly recommend to switch the Board Syntax to a standard. The actual formatting semantic is not logical.

I recommend real markdown: https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

Also: I recommend to avoid timezone settings for the board. Just implement a TimeAgo-Implementation at the client that renders the server timestamp against the local timezone relatively.

Updated  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 13:29 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: enabling clickable url

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:29 UTC

My recommended fixes can be tested here: http://stylebot.me/styles/15799

You may use StyleBot for chrome to see the style changes live. I recommend to test before judging.

Updated  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 13:28 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Enabling clickable url

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:40 UTC

Hey Guys, This is Dan Erwin, from the FB mods group.

I just wanted to post up a little something so I'm on the radar.

I apologize for not being around a lot but, as soon as I get the net at my house, I will be more available.

Forums are looking good so far to me. I'm looking forward to moving everyone over from FB to here so we can have some "structure" to things and be able to get things done.

See everyone soon, D

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 19:51 UTC

Some more improvements: http://stylebot.me/styles/15800

The new style normalizes the UI of the Forum and neutralizes unimportant hotspots. It also synchronizes the Font of the web page and the forums.

Updated  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 13:28 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: enabling clickable url

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 17:14 UTC

Comments are welcome, it would be nice to read something from the board administration.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 02:52 UTC

I want to know where is the groups in Spanish, but is not relevant. the most important is stay into the discussion. Is Good for us

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 02:55 UTC

Guys, i recommend to read at least the starter topic. This is no kind of general topic.