Mar 7, 17 / Ari 10, 01 18:02 UTC

Re: Persistent abuse - Moderator / Admin attention required  

It's not the "20" I'd be considering adjusting, instead adding more things to detect for - when spam gets manually filtered, various features should be possible to enter into a blacklist, then the use of these in the future can increase "score".

Mar 7, 17 / Ari 10, 01 23:44 UTC

Oh, look, another few dozen spam posts in less than a second - It's a good thing the folks here take security seriously or there might be some trouble soon.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-ratelimit/0.1 Seems to be readily abusable, has active devel and would save re-inventing the wheel. Can rate limit by GET or POST requests.

Personally, I'd also have this appending a blacklist, which is then fed into pftables. This can also be made to update itself using curl to scrape shared blocklists, and update shared blocklists.

You could have abuse reports sent off mostly automated via, too. Each time fail2ban clocks a new entry in the list it can whois the IP, feed the results into awk, strip the abuse mail and push all applicable details into a template fed into sendmail.

Updated  on Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 00:20 UTC, Total number of edits: 4 times
Reason: Additional data

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 15:49 UTC

not happy with facebook admins. i was talking to an admin, and she stated, the seed of life only is about the seed of a space nation, i want to get this clear, does the seed of life only represent "the seed of a new nation" or does it represent also geometrical meaning to mention some of them?

i HAVE NOTICED MANY PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO FEEL BUTCHERED BY THE FACEBOOK ADMINS, THIS IS SOMETHING RELATED TO BEHAVIOUR, LETS MAKE ASGARDIA A GOOD PLACE FOR ALL.

Hello Asgardia Admins, id like this post deleted, thanks.

Last edited by:  Vladimir Perez (Asgardian)  on Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 17:26 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 17:39 UTC

You seem to of become a little crossposted there.

You also seem to of failed to notice that the "facebook admins" form the primary admin/moderator/chapter staff on this service for some reason too.

Updated  on Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 19:49 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: typo

Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 19:31 UTC

Before it gets too bad, here's another one.

https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/fun-128/topic/earn-money-free-easily-3776/

Updated  on Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 19:31 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 13, 17 / Ari 16, 01 15:37 UTC

To those who bitch about the spammers on the site, I want you to consider carefully how you'd address the following situation automatically:

1. A real person creates an account.
  2. That real person creates a post, and records the activity using a script.
  3. That real person then activates the script with some simple parsing to change the details in different forums and then lets it run for a couple minutes, generating a dozen or two posts.

At no point would an automated system catch this until the damage was done, the final step, and only then if it was programmed to carefully weigh and measure the content, frequency, and distinctness of each post, each of which can be quite processor intensive. On a forum with potentially 170k members, that'd get overwhelming pretty quickly. The problem has been identified, so continuing to harp on about it and hurl insults and accusations is about as helpful as throwing clods of dirt at a breaking dam while workers are climbing all over it. You are more likely to cause harm than help.

So, rather than bitch and throwing recriminations about what the admins and mods could have done before the forums were started, how about getting off your collective asses and finding solutions, or producing them. Otherwise you are further wasting moderator and administrator time having to respond to and deal with your collective complaints and other associated bullshit.

If this post offends you, you are probably one of the people to whom I am speaking.

Updated  on Mar 13, 17 / Ari 16, 01 15:38 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: stupid typo

Mar 13, 17 / Ari 16, 01 16:09 UTC

The account creation stage can also be scripted. Once the script is built, it can be recycled indefinitely, across multiple accounts.

There will be patterns to be picked up on that which will be able to mostly spot such behaviour. The IDS should be looking for most of this, anyway. The i7/Xeon powering this server should more than readily cope with the processing required as it was designed to deal with far more complex operations and every forum post from every user should be able to sit in RAM along with the rest of the database - it'd adjust the load average from 0.00 to 0.01. Maybe 0.10 in times of high traffic. 0.30 if every user was attempting to post at the same time. Comparing text really doesn't take much time at all. It tends to take less than a second to parse a few hundred megabytes which feasibly will take hours of operation to generate.

You've listed a pretty accurate assessment of the current issues, but once the children are replaced by some more "professional solutions" that are adapted to this "low popularity platform" (compared to say, PHPBB, WP etc) then full automation becomes viable. I'm simply trying to encourage a solution before this happens, and once this is under the attention of the more serious players in this game that automation will occur in less than 24hrs. Quite why it took this long to be considered deserves some serious attention.

It's not just the problem that has been identified, but solutions. Which then leads to the obvious question of why symptoms are still being exhibited.

Updated  on Mar 13, 17 / Ari 16, 01 16:10 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: typo