Jul 13, 18 / Leo 26, 02 14:38 UTC

Voluntary Taxation  

I took a look at this article in the mail online: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5886365/Billionaire-swears-head-utopian-space-kingdom.html

and came across this:

"...in the future, Asgardians will all be expected to pay an annual 'citizenship fee' of 100 euros as well as income and business taxes."

But I don't remember coming across this information in the constitution. Taxation is briefly mentioned, and appears to suggest that citizens will be taxed on a voluntary basis, although the language (in English) is a little vague.

Chapter 3, article 9.5:

"Asgardian citizens shall pay voluntarily established taxes and levies in accordance with Asgardia’s laws."

It's possible that the reporter is misinformed. It's equally possible that the reporter heard this from a member of Parliament, or perhaps the Head of Nation himself. Have I missed something, maybe, in a video upload? It's not that I'm adverse to taxation so much as I'm adverse to quietly planning the shape of our Nation without regard for the Democratic process. I believe that Asgardians might vote for taxation applied to those of us who earn a living within the Asgardian economy, a but a yearly fee of 100 Euros? Margaret Thatcher tried a poll tax in the UK. It was her biggest mistake.

I will happily be corrected or reassured by anyone with answers.

Last edited by:  Stephen Howell (Asgardian)  on Jul 13, 18 / Leo 26, 02 14:40 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: removed an unwanted link

Jul 13, 18 / Leo 26, 02 15:46 UTC

It is possible that it is an intentionally released rumor to check the reaction of Asgardians. I think it is a bad idea. In another thread on this same topic I proposed a lottery as a way to fund the nation initially. 

Transaction fees on the Solar and Lunar are also going to be a good source of income for the nation, so I do not understand this plan for a 100 euro poll tax, unless it is truly a rumor started by journalists.

Jul 14, 18 / Leo 27, 02 19:37 UTC

Any need or attitude or plan to tax its citizens or members stands for a failed state or society :)

Jul 15, 18 / Vir 00, 02 13:54 UTC

A flat fee is extraordinarily discriminatory to Asgardians with lower income, and since this Nation has people from all over the world, well, if local assessments can't be practically carried out then I don't see how a flat fee can possibly be fair. 

Nobody has responded to the point about the constitution. I would ask you guys to keep an eye on it. We need to do what we can to make sure Asgardia sticks to it's own laws. 

Last edited by:  Stephen Howell (Asgardian)  on Jul 15, 18 / Vir 00, 02 13:56 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: added a missing point.

Jul 22, 18 / Vir 07, 02 19:10 UTC

I would like to see a donation service where you pay Asgardia as much as you believe Asgardia is worth to you if you want. Then lets vote on what we do with the total all receipts should be documented.

Jul 22, 18 / Vir 07, 02 19:13 UTC

I propose building a group who will reach out to Asgardians regularly and contact them via their prefered contact method for regular basis  updates and confirmations. This could be like a private message or video chat for each individual or groups to be informed of Asgardia and all the discussions and petitions and videos that are released each week/month.

Jul 25, 18 / Vir 10, 02 19:41 UTC

As I suggested in the official discussion thread for Solar and Lunar, I think selling renewable licenses for mining Solar and/or Lunar could rise a lot of cash for Asgardia. 

As Oleg said, proportional taxes are not enforceable (atm), and Richard is right that a flat tax is not fair. So we need a pragmatic solution, and I think selling these mining rights is an idea worth serious consideration.

Aug 5, 18 / Vir 21, 02 13:24 UTC

Each Asgardian should receive an equal amount of our crypto currency for free . then we start trading it on the famous crypto exchanges. so we will start the conversion mechanism. since all of us 250000, then the probability of success in maintaining the exchange rate of our currency is 100%.

Aug 5, 18 / Vir 21, 02 13:43 UTC

and the tax in this crypto currency we have to pay the same for all