Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 09:28 UTC

Alphacosmos/ We need Police  

Hello,

In each nation, citizens need Police that protect them. Asgardia wont be a militar power, but we need internal security. To short or medium term no one will attack Asgardia in space from Earth, that will be very difficult. We can think about military question then. In any case, our Police could have external military functions or carry out peace missions too. I was military police and I belong to Civil Protection since 2010 up to now.

Last edited by:  Carlos Sanchez Ebrero (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 09:32 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 10:46 UTC

Hi there,

As this post is aimed at policing I will be moving this post to the appropriate sub forum "emergency services"

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 11:23 UTC

Ok, thanks

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:17 UTC

I don't think "police" as the term exists now is something that should be required for Asgardia, although this could be just my optimistic side that thinks with suitable education and being provisoned with requirements would vastly eliminate the causes for "crime".

I do see place for some sort of "security forces", however, far more prominent from establishing these would be to address the failings in pretty much all existing examples of such in order that what results from isn't subjected to the same flaws(generally at the human element) that permeate such corporate structures.

Even more prominent that establishing a police force, would be to establish the very policies these officers are intended to enforce - as much as the options open to them in enforcing it.

Also, contrary to your statements, the greatest threat to Asgardia in the short and medium term will indeed be from Earth, with almost everything else being able to be accounted for simply by sensible planning/design. Physically, digitally, and politically there is much threat to found from Earth. Whilst the larger percentage of Asgardians are on the surface, they are ultimately physically succeptable to the nation in which they reside and protection from this will be reasonably difficult. When it comes to orbital hardware, then most nations on the surface have the ability to strike at orbit. All it takes is the inclination.

Updated  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:24 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:07 UTC

hello there , am a asgardian from Iran. its a pretty good idea for use in space , every citizen need some police/security or guard to protect them , keep calming down every chaos and anarchy (even a little fight between citizens people) . i am sure i want to be one of the policeman or something you wanna say it. every citizens may can't understood asgardian cheaf or leaders roles and we can tell'em and can translate for them.

thanks for this post

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 10:11 UTC

People do not actually need a police force to keep themselves safe. However, having at least a security force and a place to detain troublemakers if necessary. On a space station is a prudent idea considering the possible consequences of not having one. Someone said Asgardia's biggest threat will come from Earth but they are mistaken. After all only a handful of nations have the capacity to launch anything into space. Besides that it would be unwise to attack an orbiting space station. As the pieces that do not burn up in the atmosphere could rain down on highly populated areas of the attacking or other nations. Pieces that from their time in space would be highly radioactive and car sized or larger!

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 16:06 UTC

As much as we will need an internal "peace force", there will be a need to protect the station from external threats. To be defenceless against potential threads is an invitation to be held hostage to them.

At the very least we need a method to deter or protect from incoming ballistic threats (rockets, ground based), and eventually weaponized space vehicles.

Jun 24, 17 / Leo 07, 01 06:42 UTC

We do indeed need a police force. The primary duty of an Asgardian police department would be law enforcement with a focus on de-escalation and use of non-lethal force to keep the peace and prevent loss of life.  Police should never have a military mission.  Police and military training are incompatible. The missions of each organization are vastly different.

Dec 8, 17 / Cap 06, 01 20:54 UTC

maybe Asgardian Defence Force, only used for self defence and policing roles, i'm happy to volunteer.

Last edited by:  Sophie Wilkins (Asgardian)  on Dec 8, 17 / Cap 06, 01 20:57 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time