Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 03:15 UTC

Evacuation and galactic travel.  

Hear me out. What if we were needing to evacuate asgardia? Or if something happen to earth because we weren't in time to stop something or something on earth is happening? Such as maybe an extinction event, where would we go? Find a new earth? I have a protocol for that if anyone is interested and see if anyone understands and gets it approved. So will anyone hear me out?

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 04:49 UTC

Sensibly this would be attributed by not placing all your eggs into one basket.

If the raw mass required to sensible house the current population in the stars can be realistically attributed in a sensible timeframe(measurable in decades, not millenia) then it's perfectly feasible to build several in parallel and distribute them across the same orbital belt. I would personally suggest 8, as this will space evenly across and allow us to name them after the 8 realms in Norse mythology(Midgard is already taken) - allowing for launch from anywhere on the surface and relatively easily achieve the distance and by the time it does a station should be there or arriving shortly. Centrafugal launchers can cost-effectively redistribute passengers and cargo around that belt, taking about ½hr»45 min to go from station » station and doing an entire loop in about six hours or so.

In the event of catastrophic failures causing abandonment, the load can be initially split to the two nearest - having somewhere to go in space cannot be overvalued. And requirement for "support" can be there in less than ½ hr. This is still an uncomfortably long response time but there's surface locations with longer.

Updated  on Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 04:51 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Additional data

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 14:56 UTC

True but what if a excition event happened asgardia couldn't prevent because it was caused in the surface? Would we not need to leave? Other than that your right on the response time. Better than other places

Last edited by:  Boone Johnson (Asgardian)  on Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 14:57 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 19:43 UTC

If the Chinese government is kind enough to lend the blueprints for the fuelless thruster, which is better than any kind. Then fuel won't be a issue.

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 21:04 UTC

You mean Robert Shawyer's EM-Drive they cloned? The thing originally built in a shed almost ten years ago... Yeah you'd not need blueprints for that. The Eagleworks tests on the Q-thruster system they also cloned from it for testing purposes should give you enough idea to start building test models. Refine our own designs. I'd be on that but I'm thinking I'd need to be generating about 50kW to make it lift itself from off the floor and the ultimate proof to the "does/doesn't work" arguments.

If an extinction level even occurred on the surface then it's unlikely to impact us. We'd already be entirely self sufficient. We can't be doing with lifting a few tonnes of food, plus other consumables, every few hours. This will need to be taken care of off the surface. And sensibly before you even consider mass habitations.

About the only thing we should find difficult to compensate for is the absence of the star. Short term survival - a few thousand years - is possible but something special in terms of energy production - possibly harnessing the weak forces in vector bosons or something on a similar level of physics - would require to take place, or migration to another star.

Updated  on Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 21:05 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: typo

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 21:31 UTC

Fair point.

Mar 29, 17 / Tau 04, 01 23:17 UTC

Any other ideas then because we cant orbit a dead planet and just float in space.