Do you think this class is necessary?

Total number of votes: 63

93.7% Yes

6.3% Not really useful

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 15:17 UTC

Earth/World History  

History classes should be about the entire human race history in a whole, from ancient mayans, 2016 america, Allepo, even the Spartans good and bad the best and worse of human History. To show what hate can do to people and how love can help people. Instead of history on a certain culture it should be from a Global View In general.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 17:40 UTC

History is an important part of who we are. I believe that we can not know where we are going, until we know where we've been. It is one of the reasons for why I chose to actually study archaeology.

I've had a lot about world history in general during my earlier school years (the equivalent to elementary and high-school) and agree that it should have a more global view. Parts of the history felt like it lacked information in order to view it more objectively.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 19:07 UTC

I am creating a website that tackles this very issue "The Human Codex". As i believe history is vital to our progression as a species, an objective view of all Earth's history.

I am hoping once Asgardia has it's foundations laid i will be able to partner with them officially and use it as a human history record (digital library)which has some of the same goals as Asgardia.

Best wishes, Lloyd

Last edited by:  Lloyd Cox (Asgardian)  on Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 19:09 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 23:15 UTC

Hello everyone,

I´m glad to see that 100% of us think that a class of Global History is necessary. While I was studying History degree at the university in Madrid I noticed that we have a great lack of knowledge far from European culture and History. In Spain, during our academy life, we dont know nothing about other continents History but the ones that have belonged to the spanish crown or have something to do with the occidental culture. I found the idea of this forum, as well as the art and culture ones, a great way of enlarge our knowledge and enclose our minds. If we want to create a bright new nation, without non-sense conflicts and hate, we have to learn from our past, no as citizens of diferent nations but as specie.

I´ll be happy to help as much as I can.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 00:24 UTC

That is exactly what The Human Codex's function is :) I have been working on it over a year and It goes live in a few weeks!

Best wishes, Lloyd

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 00:48 UTC

I think it is. I believe one has to understand the past in order to build a better future. Understanding is key. And I'm using the word understanding deliberately, instead of "learning". There's a difference.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 01:29 UTC

If we forget what has allready been done we are likely to repeat most, if not all of those previous mistakes. History is a tool for creating a better future.

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 00:18 UTC

Hi

Without any lessons of the past , humanity is doomed to repeat it's past mistakes. History is necessary knowledge tool that guide's humanity in all through it paths. Global history is best for asgardia. If we want asgardia to flourish as a becon of peace and scientific knowledge in space , we need to learn our species history and not our country of birth.

A c!ass of global history is necessary.

Regards

Fpitts

Last edited by:  Francis Pitts (Asgardian)  on Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 00:18 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 6, 17 / Aqu 06, 01 10:19 UTC

If you don't know the history you will face it in the future again...

Jan 6, 17 / Aqu 06, 01 10:44 UTC

Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 12:08 UTC

I think history is important. We are a product of history, but if we forget it we made the past mistakes, so I think we must have a class, with a global history and not only european or asian o american history. I know it's a colossal pack of information, but if we want dialogue with other nations we must know their history and tradition, for show respect without make mistakes.

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 19:00 UTC

I think the responsibility of us -the asgardians- is to form a new way of history education because every country in the world uses the history as a propaganda tool for themselves. So most of the people know only one side of their history. We should take human history not from a certain perspective but from every perspectives possible while respecting every culture and country in the world. Thank you for reading this and forgive me for my bluntness as I am only interested in history as a hobby.(yet)

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 13:47 UTC

Aqueles que não aprendem historia, estão condenados a repetir-las e cometer os mesmos erros.

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat them and make the same mistakes.

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 15:31 UTC

As the progress moves we as humanity lose some of our past memories and records and we really need to try to keep as much details recorded as possible. So this is why I think that we should study history of thousands ago and even Earth/World History.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 14:58 UTC

Hello everyone

Let me introduce myself first. I am a historian graduated from the University of Brasília and History teacher for a few years.

I believe that the construction of a global history could begin with the idea of globalization, seeking to understand the cultural and knowledge exchanges that took place along the formations of human societies. By understanding the exchanges made over time, we realize that we all have cultural aspects that come from several other societies (often very distant) which favors the perception of individuals as "terraqueos" and not only as a member of a culture or Nation.

The construction of such history, however, is rather complex and we would be constantly challenged by each other's historical perspectives, since that the knowledge of most people about history is connected to what they learned in schools and often reflects a national intention (political) of history. (Because history is often used for the construction of national identities and their versions are not always convergent). It would therefore require a good deal of openness to accept and seek a synthesis between the various truths that will emerge.

I suggest that we initially seek to trace some of the oldest societies in the world and from them to seek to trace contacts with different peoples and cultural exchanges and knowledge transferred between it. Perhaps a wiki structure was a good alternative for adding information in a non-linear fashion. In any case there would be a HUGE amount of work to be carried out and it would be extremely interesting if there were contributions from history scholars (amateurs or professionals) from various parts of the world who could add their perspectives and make dialectics. This structure will attempt to produce a shallow content with many errors, unless there is a systematic research space for people with deep knowledge in the area, but anyway it is a possibility of constructing an overview of the history of peoples.