Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 22:54 UTC

Space State Nations in Science Fiction Literature  

Tsiolkovsky (Russian) thought about living in space aronud 1910s. Also science fiction novels thought about it around the same times. So futurology and science fiction were parallel on this subject.

Utopia or dystopia, let's example state nations in space in science fiction literature and compare-contrast them with Asgardia.

As I know, all space nation states are in space in novels. Asgardia will be the first one designed on Earth.

My first favorite book for it is Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin. It was designed as a taoist-anarchist type of state. It is very different from Asgardia.

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 10:39 UTC

In modern western literature there's a lot of human augmentation in space faring cultures, implants and nano-tech and so on. I guess Asgardia will be more focused on the bare-bones survival of humanity in space, along with more traditional social structures. As much as I want to have a neural-uplink or optic implants, I think that's a ways off yet...

Nov 15, 17 / Sag 11, 01 21:43 UTC

Well, we do not know what kind of space nation Asgardia will exactly be until now

but I assume this is why you would call it Science-Fiction.

Wether it is Utopia, Distopia or a future nano-tech city (partly probably that),

it is in the beginning always the pure human strength and minds put onto it.

Aug 3, 18 / Vir 19, 02 15:12 UTC

I came across Asgardia on FB and found the whole concept strikingly similar to the Nearspace world that I’ve been developing for my SF YA series “Harvie”. I’ve been working on this project since early 90s and Tsyolkovsky’s “space cities” and Wenzel Hablik’s “Manifesto” have been the starting point for the worldbuilding. 

If interested, you can check the book out on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Commanders-Daughter-HARVIE-Book-ebook/dp/B078K6QBDP