Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 00:04 UTC

Re: All Asgardians should have protection and military training?  

I think Asgardians should each contribute to Asgardia as they are best suited, and that may not be by military training. Rather we should maybe think if there are preparedness measures, responsibilities, or specific duties in the event of crisis or emergency that effects Asgardia and Asgardians. This is a nation of free thinkers and dreamers, not a budding military power. Some Asgardians may serve in that capacity one day, but certainly not all.

Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 14:59 UTC

i agree that Asgardia should have military training for free , true , that is not our scope at all but definitely we could use to have this available , if comes to be required.

Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 15:59 UTC

I have always felt that martial arts training should be a part of primary school and secondary school education as a form of physical education, even on Earth.

1. Bullying would be way down.
    a. Martial arts are more about self-discipline and self-confidence than knowing how to hurt people.
    b. Those of a more violent bent will be less likely to attack a kid know they know ALSO knows martial arts.
  2. It can replace normal physical education.
    a. Anyone who has done martial arts knows it is a seriously good physical workout.
    b. It does not require gravity in order to be useful (like, climbing ropes is largely useless in space).
  3. If all Asgardians are known to have been taught martial arts from an early age, when Asgardians do return Earthward, they will more likely to be treated with respect.
  4. On board a space station, martial arts has the least likely chance of causing explosive decompression in the event is has to be used, unlike firearms.

So, yes, I think all citizens should receive martial arts training. This is not MILITARY training, which is more on the use of weaponry and the art of killing.

Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 21:18 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:01 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Feb 26, 17 / Ari 01, 01 17:44 UTC

I have 2 views on this:

1st view is, as of right now, no training should be mandatory. Defiantly should be encouraged though as we will be on earth for a long time. Most of us here, won't get to go into space...but our kids or grandkids just might. So if anything, it would be to set a good example to them (and the rest of the world if a optional program was up and running by the administration). To teach them about Asgardia as a protective nation to all humans not a nation that will strive to militarization and mistrust.

2nd view is, in the future, if we end up being on a space station or ship, it would be unpractical to send humans back down. rehabilitation to get used to the gravity would take some time or even kill. One option would be to leave some folks on earth in their own city, have them well trained as potential peace keepers or something along them lines. However with that being said up in space, everyone should be trained in first aid , basic hand to hand and engineering/IT skills. Police force should always be a must, people are unpredictable at the best of times.But i do not think they should be armed. Maybe a highly trained and equipped anti-terrorist unit should be the only ones that have access to firearms. In regards to fighting aliens i don't think hand to hand would be an issue, they would just need to put a hole in whatever we would be living in to kill us off. Instead of combat ships like you see in films, perhaps some type of drone to protect us from them nasty green men? Although a defense (inc anti-missile) system on anything that we are living in would be a plus if that kind of scenario ever happened.

Mar 5, 17 / Ari 08, 01 13:17 UTC

First learn to care, then self-defense

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 15:36 UTC

Personally, I would say that training in military-style, martial arts, etc.. should be mandatory. The fighting aspect hopefully will never be needed but training promotes discipline and control. You are less likely to panic or act irrationally in a dangerous situation. It will promote more rational thought and people will be more likely to stop and think instead of just acting. I am not saying a military state or anything even similar to that but it can be useful when in a dangerous situation.

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 15:54 UTC

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!! No, wait ASGARDIA!!!!!

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 16:01 UTC

i woul love to say in battle: "For Asgardia!!!!"

:v

PS.:i am Kidding

Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 05:12 UTC

My opinion says that we should really need some special military for space (if asgardia get settled in space ), who is specially trained for conducting special operations in space. As all world saw that we grow our nation asgardia very fast so i think other nations also wants to setup their own special stations in space to keep eyes on us in within 20 or 40 years. But here my question is that, Is really asgardia will going to settle in space or asgardia finding some place on earth to make its own boundaries. I'm just little bit confused in it...?

Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 11:45 UTC

As far as I can tell, the general opinion has been that there will be no terrestrial Asgardia. Thus, our only hope for a nation of our own is to build one in space.

I have been writing articles detailing the immensity of this project.

Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 16:00 UTC

"Terrestial Asgardia" is unfeasible (IMHO) on multiple counts, the closest viable concept I've been able to ratify being the modular construction of "floating" structures in international waters(as mostly subsurface would provide for low center of gravity and good stability even in rough sea, I'd nominate calling it "Atlantis").

With regards to formation of military, the "demiliterised" specification in the founding statement seems to preclude such possibility. However as previously mentioned in other places, "defence forces" are conforming to a slightly different - but important - definition. With regards to this being useful in deep space operations, then unless there's some vast improvement in propulsion technologies, the scale of distances involved would make response times unfeasible for a lot of things, in a lot of places - unless there was enough "military" to spread around, and sufficient saturation in a usable timeframe is unlikely obtainable at current global breeding rates. And that's just this solar system. Space is big.

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 23:48 UTC

As is the case with myself some citizens may have served in the armed forces and could be an asset to the training of willing volunteers for an asgardian defence force. Just a thought.

Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 11:31 UTC

Not only yes, but it's a huge opportunity to cross-reference other topics (from medical side, anatomy, physiology ; from safety chemistry, physics, from security mathematics and computer science and so on). And military training doesn't mean war at all, it means you're prepared at a military level

Mar 22, 17 / Ari 25, 01 10:35 UTC

Looking at the way other nations have approached this problem, rather than having a "standing" military force, it may be advantageous to include some basic military training as part of the orientation in preparation for going to space. Basic and advanced first aid, damage control, learning to problem solve under stress. Self defence, threat recognition. Basic cross training in tasks required for standard operation and emergency operation. All these tasks are necessary, but not military related. The Swiss have an interesting approach, training in military science, with a period of "active duty" to familiarize one's self with the disciplines of military science, then an "active reserve" status that is a life commitment. Any Swiss members please feel free to tune me up on this point if I'm incorrect. This would give us a structure for a military, but also allow us to pursue other avenues as we see fit. In case of an emergency situation we would have the mechanism in place to respond to threats with a trained force that is proficient. It would also allow us the luxury of not maintaining a standing force.

Last edited by:  David Houlton (Asgardian)  on Mar 23, 17 / Ari 26, 01 09:28 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Content