Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 23:38 UTC

No need for military.  

Unless hostile forces threaten Asgardia, We would be alone in outerspace. Militarization of outerspace can be seen as a threat, then pose a whole new threat to the citizens of the human race. Security should compensate for the lack of an army.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 00:40 UTC

A military is quite essential for defending a nation, especially a nation looking at colonizing space. If all you have is a security service and you send them (Armed) to potentialy hostile environments, than you might as well call them a military.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 01:20 UTC

I disagree. Having a military seems to imply the capacity for offensive action. Perhaps referring to it as the ADF (Asgardian Defense Force.) or something similar. An example of this concept in action on earth would be Japan, which is prohibited after WWII from having a standing military instead instituted a Self defense force with the blessing of the international community in 1950.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 04:09 UTC

We'll need a Security Force, rather than a military, if I may offer my two cents. While we as a nation should NEVER under any circumstances invade another country (And to that extent, avoid making alliances with other nations that would require military assistance), we need to be able to defend ourselves. As space travel becomes more common, we'll need to worry about potential terror threats, as well as invading nations, should we set up some sort of colony. It's unlikely that a nation would invade us early on, but it's a possibility, as well as piracy down the road. The security force would also be used to respond to crises with citizens (Say someone loses it and has become a serious danger that regular officers cannot handle, we get involved to deescalate the situation). That, however, should be of a last resort, so that the mere sight of what essentially are space marines is enough of a threat with such a reputation that they would surrender immediately. And if not, we'd have the skills to hopefully end the situation without bloodshed. That's the goal of SWAT, after all, not necessarily to kill the bad guy but to bring them in. Justice can handle it from there. In addition, we also need to be capable of performing SAR activities, as that is almost certain to be an issue, even at the beginning of the colony. Say an expedition gets stranded, or a rover breaks down outside of refueling or walking distance and a storm's coming, or an asteroid team loses comms. All in all, we should not be an invasive force, but we need to be capable of providing rescue, civilian crisis deescalation, terror attack management and prevention, and defense of our borders from aggressive nations. God forbid North Korea somehow develops a space program. That's just my opinion.

EDIT: Asset security is also going to be a big reason for having a defense force. If space terrorism does become a thing (Which it is almost guaranteed to, if space travel becomes more common and commercialized), we need to be prepared to defend our more sensitive assets with all necessary force.

Last edited by:  Aidan Peterson (Asgardian)  on Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 04:32 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 06:28 UTC

Well, all my thoughts were said by CodeOperator. Totally agree with these policies.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 14:34 UTC

Psst. N. Koera has had a space program for some time.

Not that I think the Kim would be much of an issue. Just pointing out that they have a space program, although they're mostly focused on delivering nuclear warheads to US soil.

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 02:10 UTC

We can make a Peacekeeper or Defense Force based on directables, a mix of security team and rescue force.

Tasks examples:

• Keep order and safety for everyone
  • Contain without harm or excessive violence, individuals in outbreak or aggressive people
  • Combat fire or others hazardous incidents
  • Elaborate and coordinate evacuation procedures, rescue and lockdown of areas with biohazard or other high environmental risk risk such as depressurized areas or unstable modules.

Not necessarily an army but trained group to ensure law, safety and security of everyone

Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 03:21 UTC

So... Something like the blues helmets of the UN, but what they are supposed to be, right?

It's a good idea, but are we able to support something like that?

I think we better have to be neutral in every war and never go in (it can be dirty, but we can't support a real attack, and a hunt for asgardians in a country is not cool), but an army for Asgardia can at least act to help countries under naturals damages.

Last edited by:  Jules Goy (Asgardian)  on Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 03:22 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 03:06 UTC

Jugel, I'd even go so far as to say that we should stay out of interplanetary humanitarian operations, as the logistics of sending our guys back to earth (Which they'd inevitably have to reacclimate to, gravity-wise) might just be a bit out of reach.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 04:06 UTC

I'd think it would be a good idea to keep a version of at least a Defence Force, if not include a Specially trained team in Security eg. anti-terrorism or riot type squads. And at the least have programs that become available should the need arise for an Armed Defence Force.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 08:25 UTC

EDF earth defense force. Only designed to defend vs actual ETs

lol XCOM

All we really need is a security detachment to protect all our land based facilities and a star fleet to defend our stations and space based operations.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 15:27 UTC

OK, Let's think as follows, some crazy man drives a country even more crazy and decides to irritate with Asgardia. What will we do if we do not have an army to defend us? Worse yet, if this madman threatens us with nuclear arsenals, let us not be stupid in saying that military arsenals are things that humanity does not have in abundance. What keeps some idiot from looking at us if Asgardia discovers something the whole planet wants? For these reasons I am in favor of an army, one day maybe someone will look at us as a potential threat, and then what will we be? Only a handful of people armed with sticks and stones in front of the man's wrath.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 22:08 UTC

I am against the wars, Asgardia has to be a peaceful nation. But I think unfortunately we need an army. For example if a nuclear war (WWIII) starts on the Earth, we have to be able to shoot down the ICBM-s and drones. And yes the possibility is not high but maybe an alien race will attack the humanity in the distant future.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 22:13 UTC

We really would need a military. You are looking at a goal that others can only DREAM of. That man has yet to grasp. There are many who would wish to see the fruition of these plans go to waste. And others who wish to exploit it. We need two things. A defense team that will be ready and willing to defend our nation. And an offense one should the need arise. Killing is never wanted but sadly it is a necessary thing, regardless of on earth or not. We need to be ready at any moments notice for anything that could possibly happen. I don't want to put the safety of my life and hundreds of thousands of others into some peace and flowers nonsense. Not because I don't want to, but because at this point and time, and for the far foreseeable future, it is not only necessary, but required. It is a necessary evil that we really should invest in. And the better we invest and the better we protect, the less likely things are to turn sour because of outside attacks.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 22:36 UTC

¨Hoping life treat you well because you have been a good person it's like hoping a tiger don't attack you because you are a vegetarian¨. Bruce Lee

Unfortunately we need millitary.

Last edited by:  jonkar Chablani (Asgardian)  on Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 22:37 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times