Should future National Defense Policy focus on...

Total number of votes: 46

89.1% Capability & Deterrence [Defensive Stance]

10.9% Expansion & Control [Aggressive Stance]

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 01:01 UTC

Organization & Objective  

Hello everyone,

I would like to open a topic about the organizational structure & objectives of any type of force that the Asgardian people choose to create.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// [Objectives] ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A National Defense Policy would be out of scope of this particular topic, but perhaps its direction could be found in this very thread.

So what do you think would be the reason for Asgardia to create any such force?

Preferably I would like to see Asgardia remain free from any form of Militarization and focus more on the development of the community and the ability to live in Space as a space based nation should. But, because it is the way of the world, it is prudent to deter threats, which are ideally what armies are used for. However in the event a threat escalates to conflict, Asgardia would have to defend itself.

Defend – that is a word that should guide the objective of any Asgardian Military or Civil Security policy.

As the nation develops here on Earth obviously in the eyes of many existing sovereign states Asgardian forces would be deemed ‘paramilitaries’ rather than a credible and actual deterrent. But future prosperity in space and on other worlds, it would not. But back to now, the development of the Asgardian nation should not be posed as a threat to any existing state – and that is why in my belief Asgardian policy should dictate that any such force be used only for the defense of its people, and not to progress or expand its ideology or other goals. (Think the Japanese defense force).

In creating any such objective of Defense policy, a Defense initiative clause could perhaps be entertained? Which would basically mean that in effort to uphold the principles of Asgardian life, the government has the ability to assess threats and take opportunity to act or take charge before others harm Asgardian citizens – or others.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// [Organizational Structure] ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This refers to the structure of the armed forces of the nation, so that it has the military capability to deter and respond to threats as dictated by the National Defense Policy. Like traditional military organization, it would be hierarchical system. This system has been used since the Roman times and would undoubtedly be implemented within Asgardian Military organisation, with executive control being provided to the leader of the nation. Management and administration would then fall to the Ministry of Safety & Security (MoSaS).

Example – suggestive informal structure/positions (0 = Highest Rank -> 10 = Lowest Rank)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- - - - - Nation Leader - - - - -

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- - - - - Ministry of Safety & Security - - - - -

1. Minister of Safety & Security

0A. Head of Defense Forces

0B. Head of Security

0C. Head of Civil Defense

- - - - - Asgardian Defense Force - - - - - Asgardian Security - - - - -

1. Equivalent of Field Marshall Head of the Defense Force ALL

1A. Equivalent of Vice Field Marshall Army Group Leader 2+ Armies

1. Equivalent of General Army Leader 2+ Divisions

2A. Equivalent of Lieutenant General Regiment Leader 3-6 Battalions

1. Equivalent of Colonel Battalion Leader 2-6 Companies

2. Equivalent of Major Company Leader 2-8 Platoons

3. Equivalent to Lieutenant Platoon Leader 4+ Squads

4. Equivalent to Sergeant. Section Leader 1-2+ Squads

5. Equivalent to Corporal Squad Leader 2-3 Fire teams

7A. Equivalent to Lance Corporal Fire-team Leader 4 person team

1. Equivalent to Private Make up Fire/Manoeuvre Teams

Would this be what you foresee the organizational structure to be like?

To be different, what names would you give the positions within the Asgardian Defense or Security forces?

E.G. Private – Trooper …. Field Marshall = Space Marshall …. (Had to be done)

Last edited by:  Oliver Berry (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 03:14 UTC, Total number of edits: 11 times
Reason: Format updates to make layout clear

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 01:39 UTC

I like this idea. I am waiting for this structure to become official : ) : ) : ) : ) : )

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 08:59 UTC

I think we should focus more on defence than offense. Bu if we are under threat than we shouldn't hesitate to switch that stance.

Oh, and I really like that ranking structure.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 12:59 UTC

yeah i agree the structure is good. i don't want to sound narrow minded but i envisage a military somewhat based off of Star Trek. the main aim is for the security of the nation and Earth but also to explore space for other worlds and life. This would then be a sort of an exploration/military force. of course if the need arises we should have the capability to defend the nation and Earth from any aggression. this then raises the question of military co-operation between Asgardia and other countries on Earth. what does everyone else think?

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 16:13 UTC

With earth looking to both the moon and mars as possible colonies, perhaps part of our military mandate be to assist with security while the colonies are set up.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:33 UTC

If we want to maintain our independence and right to exist and govern ourselves then we need to be strong. Strength in the political arena is more than a mere count of weapons or how many times you can kill someone. If we want to ensure that Asgardia will remain we must take advantage of the opportunities in front of us, to hold as many cards in our hands as possible.

Expansionist policies will allow us to acquire resources making us worthwhile to other nations; a levelheaded, reasonable and unbiased foreign policy will keep us in their good graces; a strong military to keep them in line and playing ball by our rules.

To be great action is needed. The meek shall inherit the Earth, the stars are reserved for the bold.

Carpe diem, my fellow Asgardians.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 23:48 UTC

Just curious why this structure (suggestive informal structure/positions (0 = Highest Rank -> 10 = Lowest Rank) versus 1=lowest to 10=highest?

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 00:26 UTC

If we organize our rank structure along the lines of the Standardization Agreement (STANAG 2116, NATO codes for grades of military personnel), it will be much easier to set up for a possible future integration into a Standard Agreement.

General Officer and other rank posts will be identified by a NATO code within the following grades: Officers OF 1 - 10 Other ranks OR 1 - 9 Warrant officers WO1 - 4 For NATO purposes, OR-5 to OR-9 inclusive are considered Non-Commissioned Officers.

Asgardia Internal Officers O1 - 10 Other ranks E1 - 9 Warrant officers WO1 - 4 E-5 to E-9 are considered Non-Commissioned Officers.

For staff positions: Continental staff system.
Most NATO countries have adopted the continental staff system (also known as the general staff system) in structuring their militaries' staff functions. In this system, which is based on one originally employed by the French Army in the 19th century, each staff position in a headquarters or unit is assigned a letter-prefix corresponding to the formation's element and one or more numbers specifying a role. The staff numbers are assigned according to custom, not hierarchy, traceable back to French practice; i.e., 1 is not "higher ranking" than 2.

For example: S1, for manpower or personnel S2, for intelligence and security S3, for operations and plans S4, for logistics S5, for signals (i.e., communications or IT) S6, for Civil-Military Co-operation (CIMIC) or civil affairs.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 02:49 UTC

Personally I do not see the immediate need for a military force. I would initially direct my efforts to establishing a security service that would secure the physical Asgardian assets i.e. Embassy along with the foreign service personnel. I would, in parallel, establish the central intelligence component that would support the Asgardian governments foreign policy and diplomatic objectives.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 03:59 UTC

@Rob - There was no numerical significance to the values outlined in my original email. A similar system was used in another project, so i just implemented the bare basics of that particular system into suggestion to show order.

And @Rob, I 100% agree. With the discussions in other thread speaking more of military related topics, i saw a hot-topic that in relation to its organization & objective - to stimulate those thoughts & experiences into discussion. My personal feeling on the topic is aligned with yours i believe; I think the Military aspect side of Asgardia is all a bit far fetched right now, and the implementation of such a concept would be impossible - or very difficult to achieve with the resources available (which could be best spent on other projects). So i agree with you, Security overall should be considered first. Security to support the establishment of Asgardian assets and citizens.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 04:59 UTC

@Ev1lsp00n It does appear as though our thoughts on the topic are aligned. Asgardian citizens that posses the skill sets for Embassy and protective service/diplomatic security would be the first I would identify to develop the plans necessary to train the initial security forces to meet Asgardia's needs as they develop.

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 12:24 UTC

Hello, I totally agree with you, @Rob and @ Ev1lsp00n. Concerning the identification of the necessary and competent personnel I propose an inscription forms which would be to set up at the level of the ministry of the security, the admin and modo would make a sorting by chapter and this to the lowest level Electronic form of CV type has multiple choices.

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 12:43 UTC

Why do the poll options feature selections that would contravine founding ethics?

Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 21:42 UTC

Can we make sure to prevent the implementation of the Enlisted - Officer divide?

Beyond special qualifications (such as having a high educational degree, or an initial placement of ranks during the force set up), all members of the force should start out as the lowest rank. Instead of having commissioned and none commissioned officers, we should have just 1 set of officers. Starting off with the team leader being the lowest ranked officer and on up.

Jan 14, 17 / Aqu 14, 01 13:04 UTC

I like this and looking forward it, great day asgardia.