Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 19:06 UTC

Re: Personal defense, the debate on carrying weapons on the person.  

Firearms are the great equalizer. Many say we won't need them like criminals will magically stop being criminals. How do you think it will be safer for the weakest when they could simply be overpowered. A gun gives them a fighting chance.

Besides all this i can make a firearm from everyday objects and that means criminals can too. Prohibition only breeds crime.

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 22:12 UTC

Firearms are also a great way of causing explosive decrompression in a vacuum. They also don't equalise as much as understanding of knowledge, correctly applied. A small amount of force applied in just the right spot can do so much more.

The thing with "criminals" is those typically on the "front line" of crime are actually adressing some other deficit. With ability to address almost all of the causes of this being precursor to sensibly travesing into space and actually taking care of our population there's going to be literally no excuses for "crime" suggesting any infractions are due to mental deficits which are possibly not best addressed by the use of firearms.

What will stop people being criminals is education and a lack of excuses - Not putting a hole in them, and if they don't stop the projectile or you miss, the hull. Putting a hole in them doens't stop them being a criminal, just makes them a dead criminal.

Updated  on Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 22:13 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 5, 17 / Aqu 05, 01 07:10 UTC

Criminals will never stop being criminals, with a properly armed and trained populace, most if not all of the criminals that use force to accomplish their goals, would fall into legend.... and what of outside threats? what reasoning is there to leave the protection of all in the hands of a few?

Last edited by:  Luis Guzman III (Asgardian)  on Jan 5, 17 / Aqu 05, 01 07:12 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 5, 17 / Aqu 05, 01 12:23 UTC

Having citizens carrying firearms inside a space habitat is like running though a minefield with lit dynamite in your pockets: something will inevitably go boom but no-one will really care if it was a mine or the dynamite because the end result is the same.

Updated  on Jan 5, 17 / Aqu 05, 01 20:30 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 19:27 UTC

Firearms as defined by current technology with gunpowder is just plain stupid. Pardon if I offended anyone. Just think about what would happen in space. Google "explosive decompression".

If anyone desperately feels the need to carry a hand or long weapon, may I gently suggest you just stay on the ground. There will be nothing to hunt in orbit.

If you want self defense, learn martial arts, get a dog, become situationally aware, stun guns are nice (mace is not advised in micro-gravity), other options might come out.

Think outside the box. We are talking about a new nation in space, not 8 Mile.

Again, apologies to anyone who may be offended.

Last edited by:  James Rice (Asgardian)  on Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 19:31 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 20:14 UTC

El gasto que supone mantener un armamento que quedará obsoleto en 6 meses no compensa la inversión en otros campos. La defensa mejor que existe es la electricidad. No hace falta ejército, armas, para que? Seamos sensatos de una vez por todas y eliminemos esto, seamos ejemplo

The cost of maintaining an armament that will be obsolete in 6 months does not compensate for investment in other fields. The best defense that exists is electricity. No need army, weapons, for what? Let's be sensible once and for all and eliminate this, let's be an example

MOD EDIT:
This post has been translated using Google Translate (https://translate.google.com/). Please keep this in mind that this forum uses English as a base language at this moment, however you are able to use your native language in the Regional (https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/regions-36/) forum that applies to you.
- Jason Rainbow 10 January 2017 @ 01:43 am

Last edited by:  Jason Rainbow (Global Admin, Global Mod, Asgardian)  on Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 01:43 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Added English Translation

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 09:52 UTC

Firearms on a space station regardless of the hands they are in is far too big a risk to take. Hand to hand training would be sufficient for defending one's self, as for a military. Asgardia would not need a traditional military, but would need a defense system to protect it from space debris and other physical hazards. No nation on Earth would be able to attack us with troops just missiles, lasers, and other projectiles. Terrorism could potentially be a threat even if not intentionally directed at Asgardia. I mean a space station falling on any nation or into the oceans would do major damage. But the chances for such an attack would be incredibly slim

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 14:53 UTC

Without delving into the realms of science fiction too much... avoiding firearms on a space station is imperative, but I do believe in the need for self defense. Perhaps a taser/stun based weapon would be more suitable for such an environment, since it would also keep the peace while avoiding needless bloodshed.

There's too much risk involved with every person being constantly armed as well, so perhaps a small security team could be put in place. Another idea could be a "drop off/pick up" style gig whereby if you were going into a bar/office or something, you had to check in your weapon and then collect it again when you left.

I think we'd be too naive to say there is no need for any form of protection or security, but we needn't go over the top and have a full on military force either.

Just one Asgardians opinion of course.

Last edited by:  Joseph Meek (Asgardian)  on Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 15:09 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 16:57 UTC

We absolutely need weapons, and the reason is that if (heaven forbid) our government ever "goes rogue", the citizens have a way to physically protect themselves. The police will not always be there to save you and your children. Security will not always be there to save you and your children. Same with military. We need to empower our citizens with the right to defend themselves in a responsible, legal way. Irresponsible / untrained / criminal gun users are responsible for many more deaths than individuals who possess a gun license. A gun is a tool when in the right hands, just like a hammer, a vehicle or a computer. These "anti gun hysterics" are completely unwarranted, and I would question if the people making these claims have ever discharged a firearm before.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 03:19 UTC

Solid no. Guns, even with training are far to dangerous for a station. Not only that but having grown up in australia, I have never seen a single situation where i thought "i wish i had a gun"

Even then, guns would only work ON the station, no air to allow combstion of conventional firearms in freespace. So from my perspective i see:

1- the unparalleled danger of even a handgun being able to kill everyone in entire sections of a station with but a single bullet.

2- extremely limited use in space, as invasion/terrorism/self defence would be better addressed through alternative means.

Those two points, are my primary reasons for disagreement.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 04:31 UTC

Hey Barazen,

Also being Australian, I have never understood the whole "gun culture" thing. Perhaps it is because in Australia you face killer sharks, giant crocodiles, poisonous snakes and spiders, tiny but deadly jellyfish and those vicious drop bears on a daily basis with nothing more than your wits and two hands to survive. Having a gun sort of takes the challenge out of it and allows the weak to survive where they otherwise wouldn't :)

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 04:58 UTC

Gday scarbs.

Yeah i haven't understood that culture myself... always seemed like, i dunno... infatuation with the hero complex? That doesn't sum up my feelings quite right but the words escape me.

I haven't heard a single arguement that would change my mind on the topic just yet but i keep looking, just in case i can learn something ^_^

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 03:38 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:10 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 03:41 UTC

B, there is enough oxygen in the cartridge to fully combust the powder. Or including an oxygen source in the propellant mix is trivial.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 21:00 UTC

You can not deprive people of their right to protection of their own and other people's lives! People who commit crimes - are always, everywhere. Therefore, you need a weapon. You can always call the police, but what to do if the police will go 30 minutes and kill you- right now?

Why do we have first-aid kits, if we can call an ambulance? Why do we have fire extinguishers, if we can call the firefighters? Why do we need weapons, if we can call the police?

I also want to remind you that the weapon can only be deprived of good men. There will always be bad weapon, even if it is not allowed. Therefore, making a ban - makes things worse.

Last edited by:  Konstantin Trubnikov (Asgardian)  on Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 21:02 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time