Jun 27, 17 / Leo 10, 01 18:19 UTC

Re: The U.S. is already gearing up for a space based war.  

@GVanderslice

I wouldn't hold my breath.  America is in very serious decline.  It's gone from a world leader to a 2nd tier nation.  A good portion of the population has gone to second world status.  America is imploding.  There isn't a nice way of saying that.  From opioid epidemics ripping small cities apart, to deeply divided politics and state authoritarianism coming from the extreme right, to oligarchs who want to speed along its destruction to create an autocratic serfdom for the rich (ie the Koch brothers and their Ayn Rand cultist buddies like Paul Ryan - who's a total chump by the way).  If the USA continues to use military might and continue to spend 100's of billions (almost a trillion!!) on war for a way to self finance itself, it's going to inevitably continue to unravel itself.  Unfortunately, how much damage is this going to cause to the rest of the world with other countries that already view the United States as a state with borderline personality disorder will have to wait to be seen. However I don't see America getting better.  I see it getting worse and continuing its descent.  You can't keep a nation like this with so much money going into war while impoverishing it's own people without it unraveling itself.  It's like another Rome.  Except if America splits into multiple states or morphs into something else, we'll all still be speaking English most likely.  But this doesn't say much about what damage can be done if the USA truly decides to weaponize space if the USA doesn't pull it's head out of its ass first and actually get on board with what it means to be a truly peaceful nation rather than a nation based on perpetual war.

Jun 27, 17 / Leo 10, 01 18:56 UTC

@Miko Lockhard

"Think about it this way. Humanity began with nothing. Eventually, they found out better ways to survive and manage. One example being farming. Eventually, farming became a way to control, because if you control excess food, you can sustain more people, thus you now have a following. Eventually, this gave birth to trading, currency, spheres of influence, power, control. This has sine been the way humans have lived, divided, in different groups, eventually causing wars, and territorial claims which leads us to modern day. Wars, Economics, Trade, all that has simply evolved with technology. We now must find a way to get past that. But it is imperative we establish Asgardia in a way that can also have enough soft power to influence a vast majority of Humanity to also prevent Space Races for wars. I think we have no choice in the matter if we're ever to survive."

You're not that far off actually. :-)  But in there I see an old paradigm.  I'll reiterate a couple points so to express our progression as a species.  As a species we've existed on this planet for over 100+ thousand years, as much as 200 thousand years and I mean anatomically modern homo sapiens sapiens.  For the majority of that time we were hunter gatherers and we did really really well.  Only within the last 10 thousand years has things really changed.  That's when you talk about farming which is in reference to the agricultural revolution.  The old paradigm is that everything got better after that or it took us out of barbarous and dark times.  If you look into anthropology for a while and look into currently still existing hunter gatherer tribes, the story is quite different.  They aren't warring, they are egalitarian, they are also peaceful (those that haven't had much conflict with western civ).  Some say that it was our downfall as a species that we've never truly been able to recover from when we started to domesticate animals and began farming and because out of that, institutionalized religion, war and conflict, and inequality began to rise which you have addressed.  So you're really close but the paradigm that things got better can be contested which suggests there's lessons to be learned from our earlier anatomically modern human ancestors.  Learning that makes one realize why we've made it so far as a species in the first place.