Pis 21, 02 / Feb 18, 18 02:56 UTC

Re: No need for military.  

I disagree completely. To believe that just because we value peace and cooperation that others will too, is naive and ignores all of human history. When (not if), Asgardia develops its own space station, the need to protect it is vital. The United States, China and Russia (the main states with space capabilities) are all extremely aggressive. Do any of you really think that they're going to be okay with Asgardia's trips into space? Of course they won't. They have no interest in benefiting humanity. They're only interested in their own national interests.

If we truly wish to see a united and peaceful humanity, simple gestures of good will are going to get us nowhere. To be entirely idealistic is naive. To be entirely pragmatic is dangerous. There must be a balance. It's better to have a Defence Force and not need to use it, than to need it and not have it. It seems to me that many of you are incredibly idealistic, a sentiment I admire. However, as I learnt as an idealistic teenager, you need to balance idealism with pragmatism. Otherwise you are just inviting disaster. 

People don't necessarily want you to succeed. And the bigger your dream, the more people that are going to come out of the woodwork to try to stop you. At that's the point that some people miss. They want to come out of a struggle unscathed. They hope that with this grand change, this revolutionary idea they have, that people will just fall in love and get in line. That's not the way that people work. 

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something at some point in your life."  Victor Hugo. 

Ari 21, 02 / Mar 18, 18 13:09 UTC

I applaud you Anthony. Very valid

Ari 23, 02 / Mar 20, 18 20:03 UTC

As far as a security force goes, maybe pattern it after Japan's Self Defence Force. They also act as the nation's law enforcement agency. They are charged with keeping the peace amongst citizens and with the defence of the nation as a whole.
This would, might maybe, could fulfil the portions of the Constitution that discuss security and protection of Asgardian citizenry as a whole, as well as any long-term residents or visitors.
An alternative might be to make all adult citizens responsible for ensuring overall peace and tranquility... A citizen's obligation.

This, however, is just my opinion. Now, let wiser heads prevail.

Lib 20, 03 / Sep 1, 19 19:49 UTC

I agree with many stated above, as a nation, we do need a military or a security force, like Japan's Defense Force. I agree with CodeOperator, when we eventually build space stations or off-world bases, the Asgardian government needs security to protect those stations/bases. Aside from physical and asset security, and transport security, we need to protect our government officials, so that card's on the table as well. So if not a standing military (strictly for defensive purposes), we would need to establish security forces---and in all aspects of the word too; information/cyber security, physical security, and so on. As William Zimmer said above, we would need training and policies in place for disgruntled employees/rogue agents.

Being part of a newly-formed nation, I'm excited to see what we can conceptualize on this topic.