Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 09:39 UTC

Issue raised in welcome thread  

In the welcome thread for this forum an opinion was put forward that a Natural and holistic forum does not belong here.

The thread was then locked.

Can we have a justification from the admins as to why this is here please.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 10:40 UTC

Hi Daiwa34

Natural and holistic medicine has been put up as a thread because: 1. It can promote discussion about the effectiveness of those treatments 2. Some holistic treatments are widely accepted by the medical community, despite them not knowing exactly how or why they work e.g. Acupuncture

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 11:11 UTC

Also could you please provide a link to the discussion in the welcome thread so I can investigate

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 14:17 UTC

https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/natural-and-holistic-medicine-135/topic/welcome-to-the-holistic-and-natural-medicine-forum-237/

Edited so link would work

Last edited by:  Dominic Sturt (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 16:16 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Hyperlink fix

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 16:20 UTC

All "welcome to example forum" announcements have been locked.

This was done because it was never the intention for people to post on the announcements, but should post in the forums instead

Last edited by:  Dominic Sturt (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 16:21 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 31, 17 / Pis 03, 01 17:24 UTC

I can think of one good point of this forum section existing here: it is a good place to move certain topics / discussions into, if/when they arise - to keep them from degrading the quality of certain other sub-sections of the forum.

I'm just speculating here, but perhaps the mods (or whoever made this forum and the sections) thought about the danger that the bio-sciences or health&security forums could be overrun by all kinds of alternative therapies and related topics. By having a this sections, threads degrading the discussion can be moved away!

On the other hand, this section can reduce the need to do things that could be considered censorship; controversial topics can be discussed here, and if the topic is deemed viable at some point, the old discussion is still archived here - and can be continued or moved to a more relevant section.

(as for acupunture: it is not widely accepted by the medical community. It kind of used to be, but I believe what happened with acupuncture was publication bias; currently it seems it is probably little more effective than placebo. That being said, this IS the right section for discussion about acupuncture).