Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 15:44 UTC

Ideas  

If any Asgardian has an idea about what other news outputs they would like to see, here and now is the time and place to share!

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 16:44 UTC

Hello, Levi from Washington, United States here. I have an idea in regards to newsmedia. While I will be the first to acknowledge that not all of my ideas are fruitfull, I would say that they have some merit of use in the general idea. When Asgardia was first announced, a member of the community had stepped forward to make a news website (unofficial). While I admit, I haven't kept tabs on it, I can not seem to find it now. Why this is important now is that a great deal of people spend a great deal too much time on Facebook. We have become accustomed to seeing threads related to Asgardia pop up in the Facebook news feed. While not always relevant to self interest, it kept me aware of what is going on. Currently, I am in the military and when I get home, I do my thing to unwind and that's about all I have time for in a day. Could I make more time to scour the forums here daily to keep myself up to date? Sure, that's the short answer. But I would not be able to unwind. I find that being stress free is a must. Off-topic. In any case, What I propose is a news outlet devoted to keeping Asgardians up to date on world news but more importantly things that pertain specifically to Asgardians. This would not only be a good way to get your name as a journalist out to the community but to secure a spot for your future in Asgardia if that is the means to an end that you seek. I saw the post about Voices of Asgardia and I did take a look at it. That is a radio station though with a very small news section. What I would like to see personally is something a little more main stream with a feed on the side of the page that highlights topics and subject line information for trending posts. A small group of people authorized on this website to scouring the forum and post these trending topic subject lines or quotes into the feed.

As I said, not all of my ideas are fruitful, and I would definitely be willing to help with implementation in any way that I could. I'm a quick study and hard worker with what time I do have. Who knows, perhaps I could even turn into a forum rat in time. Though right now, I haven't much.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and have the happiest of holidays! Very Respectfully, Levi Fraser

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 06:21 UTC

So this might be a bit.... tacky? I dont know if that's the right word for it, but what about a TV show? Starting in the new year, see if Dr. Ashurbeyli and what ever support staff he has locally would be up for kind of an introduction, what theyre doing on a day to day, get clips from the community members and kind of piece together an 'as it happens' show. Little late for a pitch I know lol, but just putting it out there.

And, depending on who we have in the nation, might be able to turn it into a commerce opportunity.

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 06:47 UTC

+1 A.Snyman

I like the idea. I think that it would be more suited as a podcast or a youtube show. A Youtube version could have ads enabled to generate a cash flow. I'm not sure that mainstream networks or stream companies such as Netflix or hulu would pick it up. This is a great idea for Asgardians though. It would be a great opportunity for officials to "clear the air" of certain issues pressing the community and forums as well as offer a more personal touch to the condolences that we have seen from them floating around facebook for disasters in the various countries. All around a great idea though! Any Pod-Casters or You-Tube personalities out there care to take a comment here?

Very Respectfully, Levi Fraser

Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 23:58 UTC

Love the idea of a Multimedia podcast. Like a BBC World Service-esque program designed to bring world, country, and local level news to the Asgardian public. I don't have any background of being a youtube personality or anything of the sort, but I would be more than willing to take up the torch of delivering Asgardian news until someone more qualified comes along. I'll wait to hear community feedback before going and starting anything, and I would like to know what sort of media people would like to have available in regards to covering Asgardian news. Written news, podcast, youtube video, stream, etc.

Dec 26, 16 / Cap 25, 00 22:59 UTC

Youtube was almost good idea up until the mention of ads. That company is already earning enough money monetising user data, let alone with aditional advertising revenue and desperately attempting to claw at a tiny percentage of that whilst paying no heed to the uses of the data provided in exchange is at best irresponsible.

We shouldn't be that desperate for money that we require to engage in or encourage shady data collection at the cost of citizens.

Eventually it would make sense for us to have our own media services - for "heavier" media like video it'll require significant storage and bandwidth capacities so I would personally predict this to be some of the later services deployed.

With regards to the types of media available, all eventualities should be covered. Each have their merits. Personally, I would favour "news" in a written format - By the time a single article has been spoken I will of read all the articles. It's also easier to search through the content later with view of extracting specific data.

Just like the BBC, it might be productive to develop content creation guidelines (http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/guidance) in order that multiple individuals can work independantly(or collaboratively) on pieces and the ultimate outcome will overall conform to various expectations.

Unlike the BBC, care should be taken to isolate the government from procedings - beyond ensuring specific law is adhered to - in order to become a source of information that's trustable. As opposed to propaganda wing of an agressive hostile power. We should also take geat care our own defined policies are adhered to.

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 14:31 UTC

Diversity is the word! I think we need any media source we can get. And if that brings AD money to us that's bonus!

BUT we have to be focused to inform people! Not to make money with that. That's when the information corrupts.

We need proper journalism, news, podcasts, TV, radio etc. and we will also need public announcements.

And there's this one little croup or profession which I think is even more important than journalists, philosophers!

Maybe we can include these two professions some how?

Last edited by:  Niko Partanen (Asgardian)  on Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 14:31 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 12:57 UTC

+Levi from Washington, United States really touched on the basic truth. His words are wise.

National Public Radio and Public Television are the way to go. Why? NPR is constantly seeking new and interesting material. They would grab "Asgardia, the newest and only space Nation" in a heartbeat. Mr. Science might dedicate an entire show and frequent updates on a regular basis. Cost: 0.00. TV and radio shows WILL want paid for the air time, etc. At first, we must look at the most bang for the invisible dollar.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 04:04 UTC

The media is very important.

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 17:00 UTC

Before every one makes a blind dash into advertising revenue, you should stop to think why Asgardia has happened. Not to continue the existing problems, but to solve them.

Advertising has got out of control, and while here we start with nothing, we have the chance to control it.

All advertising within Asgardia should be chosen and inspected before being allowed.

Currently people are unwittingly carrying adverts for things they do not support or agree with, and more often it is being used as a vector for hacking via "malvertising".

Follow the model of Twit.tv and only have sponsorship deals and partnerships with vendors that you trust, and can "pull the plug" on.

We now live in a world where advertising makes more money than making actual products. This is not to the benefit of us organic beings, which live in the real world.

At the moment you wrap adverts around anything released under a free licence (eg. Creative Commons), you have a conflict of interest, as the licence often states you cannot use it to create revenue. This means you could only use commercial music and media, which also means you have to pay for it, and which forces you to create more revenue.

"Look before you leap"