Free EyeR?

Total number of votes: 16

68.8% Free him!

31.3% Don't free him.

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 12:36 UTC

Free EyeR!  

Free EyeR, our lord and savior!

In all seriousness though, this guy contributed heavily to the community.   We need to bring him back.

Rally to the cause!  VOTE FOR FREEDOM!  #FreeEyeR

Last edited by:  Alexander Clegg (Asgardian)  on Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 12:50 UTC, Total number of edits: 4 times

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 12:39 UTC

Depends - what were the circumstances around him getting banned?

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 12:43 UTC

HistoryCulture:  Depends - what were the circumstances around him getting banned?

He lost his temper and got taken from us.

Last edited by:  Alexander Clegg (Asgardian)  on Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 12:43 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 12:45 UTC

Should have been Gulag'd then.

No, I jest. Maybe a second (and final) chance? 

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 12:47 UTC

+1 Pizzapal #FreeEyeR He was not treated fairly. Rules that were applied to him, should have applied to others, and didnt.  

@HistoryCulture  You may want to read the 'official' thread on the matter here: https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/feedback-11/topic/banning-of-members-4624/

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 13:45 UTC

Without transparecy or apparent consistency in the decision making in this regard, it is hard to make an informed judgement on the situation. Two things are clear though: EyeR is very intelligent and he contributed significantly.

Unfortunately, one of the typical down sides of having high intelligence is an inability to suffer fools. From reading some of the threads where things got heated, I honestly think this is the main source of the "abrasiveness" he exibited from time to time. There are only very vauge refrences to his other alleged infractions which has led to growing speculation.

Now, he has bypassed the forum security features more than once (by posting to locked threads, making posts after having login credentials revoked, etc) to argue his case. Most of you wouldn't have seen that: the posts in question were deleted without explination. Again - transparency.

Regardless how it started and who has said what to whom, this situation is becoming both rediculous and risky. It needs to be resolved.

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 13:49 UTC

How are we certain it was EyeR?

I ask because a nickname who is similar is not an indication it was the same person. If we can verify the IP address of both posters it would go a long way, but not necessarily be proof.

OCU

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 14:01 UTC

Unless the poster copied his style, tone and use of language exactly, it was him. Why else were these posts removed quietly?

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 14:08 UTC

I can think of several reasons, but won't give them an opportunity to take a life of their own.

Suffice it to say, I have been the victim of identity 'theft' before, when it comes to online forums.

HTP

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 14:46 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 15:54 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: "This user no longer wishes to be associated with a tin pot banana republic"

Apr 3, 17 / Tau 09, 01 21:44 UTC

While I'm not qualified to conduct forensic examinations of language usage to identify people (it's a dubious field anyway) and I certainly did not attempt to do so on the brief time I was able to view "Eye-R"'s posts, I have to say that I am not 100% sure it was really EyeR.  His manner of speaking was a bit off and at the time I just wrote it off to him being especially angry.  I think it was really him, but I wouldn't say without a doubt.  An IP comparison would be very illuminating, though EyeR was more than literate enough to use a proxy.

Did someone say he posted in a locked thread as Eye-R?  If so, that indicates some type of hacking in order to have gained moderator/administrator permissions on the forum.  I had thought he had simply made a new account and used the automated registration process to post until the moderation team noticed.  Hacking is a crime in most jurisdictions, I would expect if he had hacked the forum it would be stated as an explicit reason for the ban.  After all, who is going to protest the banning of someone who hacked the forum?  You can't just let people seize administrator privileges.  They could use that to any number of nefarious ends.

Still, if not him, then who?  The next most plausible explanation, especially if he really was able to post in a locked thread, would be a moderator impersonating him.  That's dubious, to say the least.  Less kindly, I would call it tin-foil conspiracy theory territory.  I mean, it's not that that's impossible, but it also really does not make sense unless the moderation team is really...I don't even know what.

Apr 4, 17 / Tau 10, 01 11:48 UTC

EyeR reached out to me. Thankfully, I am really easy to find out in the wild, wild Internet.

He did, indeed, hack the forums. He did a non-destructive hack to demonstrate the things he has been saying all along about how insecure the website is. In essence, he was trying to 'do us a favor' in a manner that makes sense from a 'making a point' perspective, but not from a 'being a part of Asgardia' perspective.

I will not advocate for EyeR's return, and he doesn't want us to do so. He has no intentions on coming back, even if he receives, as it were, a 'full pardon'. He sent me a PGP signed message that is posted on the Internet but, in accordance with what I am going to presume is forum policy (since that's a grey area these days), I won't post a link here. If you really want to get a link to it, get in touch with me via Skype, Discord, or any of the other innumerable methods I can be reached outside these forums.

I will, however, post one paragraph that should put an end to this Free EyeR movement, because it is his own words.

The #FreeEyeR movement amuses me, highly - If I wasn't so against docile media I'd of botted up and had that trending
by now, just for the lulz - but in all seriousness, should it be granted I would refuse it. I don't move backwards, and 
that's the only place that's headed. Maybe there's hope for change - but I personally don't see it, I was trying to ignore 
many flags under the understanding it was new and they have no experience. This was naive of myself.

So, I am asking the OP to request this thread be locked, because what you are asking for is against EyeR's wishes.

SGA

Updated  on Apr 4, 17 / Tau 10, 01 11:49 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: fixed lousy quote

Apr 4, 17 / Tau 10, 01 12:20 UTC

In reply to Phicksur:

Oh. I did not realize he did not want to come back. Shame though; as I said, this guy contributed heavily to the community, both scientifically and otherwise. Maybe one day he might come back.

Welp... guess that finishes this off then.

Apr 4, 17 / Tau 10, 01 14:42 UTC

i hvae already knew that EyeR would do something like hacking the forum ... (because i would do something similar to prove that our data security is a joke)

sincerely Asgardia actually is too far from the objective (like we cant even stop spammers or stop a simple hacking, we can really bring peace to something or make a nation if or security is this simple? i have see free forums with great more security that our forum, you can say that we will work in this or that IT team will do this , but forum security should be the first thing that we needed to do as we created the forum)....i have only 3 years of programation expertise and i can say that i could easily force our forum to do a total shutdown ,using various ips to access the forum at the same time ,our Data security is a great problem EyeR as saying this as far long time, you can say that he have make a mistake using things like hacking the forum to show that he as saying the true , BUT sometimes we only learn after we are "hurt"...